Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old May 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM

(Westmoreland County)
PRUGER2540 is on a distinguished road
Default WALTHER PPK/S : BEST AMMUNITION FOR 380 ACP

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND THE BEST ALL AROUND AMMO FOR A WALTHER PPK/S. IT WILL BE 380 ACP

BEST PRICE PLUS BEST QUALITY WOULD BE IDEAL!

RICHARD A. PRUGER

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM

(Bucks County)
zachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to zachomega
Default Re: WALTHER PPK/S : BEST AMMUNITION FOR 380 ACP

I have a Smith and Wesson Walther PPK/S and it seems to do okay with Remington .380 FMJ and Magtech .380 FMJ. It does NOT like American Eagle .380 FMJ.

-Zach
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM

S&W 10mm is just really niceS&W 10mm is just really niceS&W 10mm is just really niceS&W 10mm is just really nice

Any type of hollow point is ideal. There is really no need to spend 40 bucks for bullets, imo, the most important thing is to spend some money and try out several type of hollow points and see which ones run best in your gun and then thats the hollow point you need to use, and practice occassionally with.
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Grand Member

XD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment its more what can you find in 380, not what you want because its so scarce. With that said I personally carry and shoot FMJ exclusively in 380acp because penetration is not where i'd like it with the HP rounds.

Fiocchi had the hottest FMJ round I came across per my chrony, but like I said right now it's more of a what you can find type of thing.
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Grand Member

(Northampton County)
reverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond reputereverserboy has a reputation beyond repute

For SD with a .380 you want Buffalobore if the gun can take it. Check them out.

As for carry ammo...price is the last thing you should worry about. You want function & effectiveness.

What you plink or practice with is a different story. Use the cheap stuff.

Last edited by reverserboy; May 24th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:39 PM

(Delaware County)
Fudmottin is a splendid one to beholdFudmottin is a splendid one to beholdFudmottin is a splendid one to beholdFudmottin is a splendid one to beholdFudmottin is a splendid one to beholdFudmottin is a splendid one to beholdFudmottin is a splendid one to behold

Whatever you can find seems to be the key these days.

Try to find 95gr FMJ.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
ReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond reputeReconLdr has a reputation beyond repute

My SW 380 likes Remington UMC FMJ and JHP both 90gr. It also seems to like the 88gr Magtec JHPs, but not Magtec FMJ. The Magtec FMJ are the only rounds I have shot through it that it didn't seem to like.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
mrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond reputemrnyman has a reputation beyond repute

Pruger , Guns are individuals and they must be individually tested with a variety of ammunition to see which ones it "likes"

Having said , My S&W Walther Loves Winchester silvertips, and i am glad that i tested it because i found out that the Gun absolutely "hates" Full metal Jacket ammo.

Buy about three boxes of different brands , your Walther is likely to "like" one of them.

Nyman
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM

(Westmoreland County)
bert has much to be proud ofbert has much to be proud ofbert has much to be proud ofbert has much to be proud ofbert has much to be proud ofbert has much to be proud ofbert has much to be proud ofbert has much to be proud ofbert has much to be proud of

If you haven't bought the Walther yet, be careful. I always intended to buy a Walther, nice pocket gun. I hate to be repititious but a friend bought one last year and couldn't shoot a full mag without a jam. No matter what ammo he used one or two rounds would fail to eject properly. He sent it back to the factory and it's been at least 3 months and he still waiting for it. Maybe an older model or newer model? will be lucky for you.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Philadelphia County)
mythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
If you haven't bought the Walther yet, be careful. I always intended to buy a Walther, nice pocket gun. I hate to be repititious but a friend bought one last year and couldn't shoot a full mag without a jam. No matter what ammo he used one or two rounds would fail to eject properly. He sent it back to the factory and it's been at least 3 months and he still waiting for it. Maybe an older model or newer model? will be lucky for you.
Sounds like your friend had a lemon. S&W didn't really do anything to change the proven design of the PPK so this is very uncommon.

To the OP: If you are buying one, make sure it's a post recall. If not, recall will take a few months. The only thing my PPK/S doesn't like in my experience is the Aguila. As already been said, .380 ammo is painfully difficult to buy now. Be prepare to pay no less than $30 for a box of ANY .380 and the only source now is Gunbroker.com. Good luck.

Al