Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Women robbed at gunpoint- Manhiem Township.

Woman robbed at gunpoint in Manheim Township
    Lancaster New Era
    Published: May 18, 2009
    09:52 EST

By CARLA DI FONZO, Staff Writer
    A Columbia woman was robbed by two men carrying guns and a female accomplice she knew by name, police in Manheim Township said today.

The victim told police that on Friday, around 7:30 p.m., she was driving near the intersection of Juliette and Frances avenues when she stopped at a stop sign.

Officers said a white female known to the victim as "Ashley" approached the car and began talking with her.

Soon, two black males pulled up in what witnesses described as a black Ford Expedition or Explorer.

The victim said both men drew their handguns on her and demanded money.

Police said the victim gave up the $30 she had on her, and all three suspects sped off from the scene in the Ford.

There were no injuries during the incident, officers said.

The female suspect was described as white, 28-29 years old, 5 foot 3 inches, 180 pounds, with brown hair in a pony tail.

The black males were 20-25 years of age with short hair, police said.

The investigation is ongoing. Any person with information on this crime is asked to contact the Manheim Township Police Anonymous Crime Tip Line at 569-2816.
    --------------------------------------

Well I guess I now have a valid reason to why I keep my pistol under my hat or jacket on the passenger seat.

I cannot wait to the stand you're ground law passes so it covers you in you're car.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Women robbed at gunpoint- Manhiem Township.

I dont think you need to wait for the "stand your ground law". As its worded now, you only have to "run away" if you can do so in complete safety. If there is someone with a gun, its not hard to figure that trying to get away wont be completely safe, if its even safe at all. So fighting back, or just complying and hoping they let you go are your only other options, both of which would be legal.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcowboy View Post
    I dont think you need to wait for the "stand your ground law". As its worded now, you only have to "run away" if you can do so in complete safety. If there is someone with a gun, its not hard to figure that trying to get away wont be completely safe, if its even safe at all. So fighting back, or just complying and hoping they let you go are your only other options, both of which would be legal.
    I never thought of that in that way, I just thought people would have to wait for the stand your ground law to pass.

So hypothetically if this happened to "you" as described... TWO guys with guns point them at you and you are armed...what do you do?

1. Draw and start shooting at both of them hoping to hit both?

2. Draw and hope that they do not want to get into a gunfight?

3. Not draw because you are outgunned?

Glad the victim was unhurt, but sorry she got taken for $30 by these two armed bastards (and their female accomplice) and suffered emotionally probably

Should make for some interesting discussions.

(Lancaster County)

I frequent walks near and around Stauffer park in MT. This was about a half mile from my house. It makes you wonder. Anytime anywhere.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    So hypothetically if this happened to "you" as described... TWO guys with guns point them at you and you are armed...what do you do?

1. Draw and start shooting at both of them hoping to hit both?

2. Draw and hope that they do not want to get into a gunfight?

3. Not draw because you are outgunned?

Glad the victim was unhurt, but sorry she got taken for $30 by these two armed bastards (and their female accomplice) and suffered emotionally probably

Should make for some interesting discussions.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the victim ends up arming herself and getting trained to prevent anything like that happening again.

(Lancaster County)

Random violence is everywhere - even on the front yard of a suburban home in sleepy little E-town about 12 houses over from mine. 2 local E-town youths and 2 Mt Joy youths randomly chose a decent older neighbor to rob and murder. Thankfully his wife was able to escape them. This could have just as easily been me and my family. This is from the E-town College write-up about the victim Ray Diener. He lived a life in stark contrast to those who took it.

"Ray Diener is a 1965 graduate of Elizabethtown College and was a member of the baseball and men's soccer teams. In 1975, Diener was a member of the inaugural class of the Ira R. Herr Hall of Fame Inductee. In just three seasons, Diener struck out 264 batters in just 172 2/3 innings pitched to set a program career record that still stands today. In soccer, he played goal and recorded 27 victories to rank among the program's all-time leaders.

After graduating with a degree in chemistry, he was a minor league baseball pitcher in the Reds organization. He worked 31 years for Armstrong World Industries and owned Elizabethtown Crystal Pure Water Company from 1990 until his tragic passing on May 2, 2007. Diener was involved in various charity work, including the Water for the World program at Messiah College and Habitat for Humanity. [ ]"

Article on the sentencing of the 4 young men.

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/235706
    Diener family: Killer exploited kindness
    Lancaster New Era Published: Mar 30, 2009
    11:58 EST Lancaster

By JANET KELLEY, Staff Writer
    If only Ray Diener had not been so willing to help others, a Lancaster judge was told today, he might not have been murdered.

But to ignore someone in need, Diener's son told the judge, "would have been so inconsistent with how he lived his life."

It was Diener's kindness to a group of young men who came to his Elizabethtown-area home asking for help on May 2, 2007, that resulted in his brutal murder.

And for that, Abraham Sanchez Jr., the young man who shot Diener over and over and over again after the botched robbery, was sentenced this morning to death, plus 20 to 40 years in prison.

Judge Joseph Madenspacher first listened to emotional statements from Diener's widow and two adult children.

Madenspacher imposed the death penalty, recommended by the jury after a trial earlier this month, plus consecutive 20 to 40 years in prison for the robbery and conspiracy charges, to make sure Sanchez never gets out of prison.

The jury convicted Sanchez of first-degree murder and agreed that he should receive the death penalty, rather than spend the rest of his life in prison.

In a letter read aloud in court today from Diener's son, John, the judge was told how the 65-year-old murder victim was devoted to helping others — whether it was offering guidance to his own family, helping a Lancaster County neighbor or working to provide drinking water to residents of South American villages.

"He did not view this as a burden, but a privilege," and was driven by a sense of duty to make the world a better place, John Diener wrote the judge. "My dad had so much more to give."

While Diener's family agreed they wish he had not opened the door to help the strangers that night, the son wrote, "that would have been so inconsistent with how he lived his life."

The victim's widow, Barbara, and daughter, Sharon Taraschi, stood before the judge, weeping as they too read letters, telling of Diener's good deeds and devotion to family, looking up to glare at Sanchez as they asked the judge to impose the stiffest penalty possible.

Mrs. Diener said her husband's unnecessary and tragic death left their family "paralyzed with grief, pain and disbelief."

Sanchez, 20, of Elizabethtown, small in stature and dressed in green prison garb, stood behind the podium, staring at First Assistant District Attorney Christopher Larsen, telling the judge he had nothing to say.

Madenspacher said one of the most disturbing facts of the "ill-fated plan," devised by Sanchez and his friends that night, was that they were specifically looking for "somebody you thought would be unable to defend themselves."

"It was absolutely random," the judge said.

According to testimony in the trial, Sanchez and three others were driving around the Elizabethtown area looking for someone to rob so they could get money to buy drugs.

The plan — which Sanchez's friends testified was carried out at Diener's rural home — was to knock on the door, say they had car trouble and ask for a phone to call for help.

Diener's wife was asleep and awakened by the sound of her husband screaming in pain after Sanchez shot him in the hip and then twice more in the chest. She held him as he died in front of their house as the four young men fled the scene.

Charges are still pending against Sanchez's three co-defendants — Robert Baker, 22, and Emru Kebede, 17, both of Mount Joy, and Lorenzo Schrijver, 23, of Elizabethtown — still face charges of homicide, robbery and conspiracy. Their cases are scheduled for May.

Madenspacher noted that while Diener was ultimately not able to defend himself from the gunman, he "did defend his wife, who was physically unharmed, but not emotionally."

According to trial testimony, Mrs. Diener ran back inside the house to call 911 and locked the door behind her. Two of assailants unsuccessfully tried to open the door and follow her, according to trial testimony.

Larsen explained the consecutive 20 to 40 years in prison imposed for the additional charges of robbery and conspiracy will send a message to any court reviewing the case in the future that the Lancaster County judge believes Sanchez should remain behind bars.

Death penalty cases are automatically reviewed by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and appeals often continue for years.

Should Pennsylvania's laws for first-degree murder convictions change at any time in the future, Larsen explained, the additional sentence will ensure Sanchez stays in prison for the rest of his life.

Sanchez's attorneys, Robert Kirwan II and Jeff Conrad, said nothing at today's proceeding.

Larsen was assisted throughout the trial by Assistant District Attorney Alina Andreoli and Northwest Regional Police.
    Last edited by KMAG; May 19th, 2009 at 12:59 AM.

(Lehigh County)

is that Camryn Manheim Township?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    is that Camryn Manheim Township?
    Lancaster County- Manhiem Township.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Lancaster County- Manhiem Township.

joke going over your head in 3...2...1

The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast