Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default One in the chamber

Hey,

I just recently got my LTCF and have been carrying a Bersa Thunder 380

even with the safety on i still can't bring myself to carry with one in the chamber. Does anyone else feel/start out the same way i am...if so how/what did you do to overcome it

still pretty new to guns less than a year, however i try to shoot at least once every week.

I also have a Ruger SR9 w/ viridian green laser sight

(Monroe County)

Default Re: One in the chamber

when i first started to carry with my Sig 226 9mm, it was with a Fobus paddle holster, and i didnt have one in the chamber, due to my lack of experiance. also i noticed that with that holster, i tended to put my finger into the trigger guard when drawing it. so i felt safer without one in the pipe.

but when i switched to a pancake holster, and got more failure and used to the pistol and to CC, i started to put one in the tube. i havent looked back since. and this is with a gun that doesnt even have a safety.

take your time, and get used to everything before you take the next step, thats the best advice i could say. its always up to you.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Monroe County)

You may find what you are looking for in one of these threads:

Here

Here

Here

Use the forum search inside each sub forum, and you can find what you seek

Welcome.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

when i got my ltcf i had a glock 22 i wasnt comfortable with 1 in the pipe so what i did was for a month i walked around with it ready to fire except there was no bullet in the chamber and for the whole month the gun never went off. i did all kinda of things like jump on the trampoline with it on. i put it through my daily activities and some just to see if it would fire and it never did andthat gave me the confidence that my gun would not go off unless i pulled the trigger. its a good way to start helps you build confidence in your gun

good luck

and it doesnt take a full month of this. i was ready after like a week or 2 but i figured it coulnt hurt

(Adams County)

If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it and don't consider it until you do. Also, I say if you go right for the trigger you don't want to do it either, else you'll risk shooting yourself in the leg/hip before you ever have to draw down on a bad guy.

I use a fobus paddle holster for my beretta, and I chamber a round. It also has a manual safety which I've practiced unsetting as I draw and I don't put my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to fire.

I suggest practicing with an UNLOADED pistol drawing and pointing until you're comfortable. Then do it at the range with one round in until you get the feel of drawing. Go slow, take your time and get confident; not cocky.

If you never get comfortable with one in the chamber, then so be it. You will just need to practice racking the slide as you draw is all.

IMHO, a pistol that needs to be racked is still infinitely better than no pistol at all.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

Sounds to me like you need a training course.
    Proudly served.

(Cumberland County)

Hey man, I got a Ruger 95 I carry, also I got a Keltec when I need deep concealment. I carry both with one in the chamber, at first when I got both of the handguns I was as you are. Once I got comfortable carrying/handling them, and with drawing practice it dont bother me anymore. As long as I keep my finger away from the trigger, it wont fire

My ruger got a De-cocker, so alot of the time its decocked ( with one in the chamber ) It can be quickly used Double action ( or by drawing back the hammer.)

My kel tec P3at, I just carry in a IWB holster or a pocket holster. Always one in the chamber there aswell, I just keep my finger away from my trigger untill I want to shoot something.

Once you carry like that a few times, it makes you feel better about it ( at least it did for me). I dont know if the Bersa got a safty that you can have cocked an locked or not. Carrying a Double action trigger eases my mind alot better then only a single action trigger.

If you arnt comfortable doing so, then I just wouldnt carry that way. I just hope something never would happen were you would need to have one loaded up in the pipe. Over time I over came that, an I am a new carrier as well. Just practice, handling, drawing an fireing helped me get over that.

(Berks County)

Welcome to the site. I hope you'll find our site to be a valuable source of information. To that end, I would recommend that you make use of the search tool when looking to ask questions, and only post a new thread if you don't find an answer. In many cases the question being asked has been asked before and discussed in other threads. For your reference, typing "one in the chamber" in the Search Terms box at the top of every page turned up the following threads where carrying with a round in the chamber is discussed:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...e-chamber.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...rry-yours.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-question.html

In short, you'll find that most people here will advocate carrying with a round in the chamber for a number of reasons, of which two common one are:

- Guns are designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, so they're safe as long as the carrier/shooter follows well-established rules of safety for handling a weapon.

- If you ever needed to employ the weapon to defend yourself, you'll want the weapon to be ready immediately. In the time it can take to chamber a round, a bad guy could attack or subdue you.

Initially I carried without a round in battery until I was comfortable, but quickly switched due to what I believed to be overwhelming logical opinions and common-sense experience in favor of carrying with a round chambered. In the end, though, only you can decide how you choose to carry. So have fun, read up, soak up the information and opinions here, and use the information to your advantage. Enjoy!
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; April 20th, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

To echo others, practice, practice, practice.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Also, if you don't have a lot of experience, take an NRA handgun course. (Use the above link to find one near you).

Carrying is a good first step, but if you need to rack the slide to use it you might as well just bludgeon your attacker.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by budriss View Post
    even with the safety on i still can't bring myself to carry with one in the chamber. Does anyone else feel/start out the same way i am...if so how/what did you do to overcome it
    This is pretty normal. I think that most of us were a bit Leary when we first strapped on a pistol and there was a round in the chamber. Face it, your brought up to always make sure the firearm is empty. Your taught to never leave the range with a loaded firearm.

Then comes the day you get your LTCF and suddenly all that old training comes rushing back, to contradict what your currently trying to do.

Which is, you are now carrying a firearm loaded outside of the range. And not only are you carrying. But your carrying a loaded firearm out in public, into stores, around friends. OH MY GOD.... WHAT WILL YOUR GRANDFATHER AND DAD THINK..... How unsafe can you possibly be.

Don't worry, you'll get over it. And you will start to feel more comfortable every time you leave the house with it on. Till one day, you realize that you won't leave without it. And you realize that not having one in the chamber is pretty silly. I went thru it, and I'm willing to bet most of us did.

It don't hurt to get some training in too.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast