Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Banned

(Franklin County)
thatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond reputethatJeffguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which mags work best in a Rock Island Armory 1911

Well, the topic really gives away the essence of the post

My friend owns a Rock Island 1911 and some mags don't fit firmly into the mag well without "extra" effort and this has led to numerous FTF's. While I don't mind pushing on the mag a little bit more to get it to click-seat, I could see how it might be problematic in the heat of things. He's purchased a few more mags, I apologize for not having the brand on hand, and one of them only held 7 rounds until he took it apart and tweaked the spring some. Now, it'll fit 8 but the last one is a tight fit, though it still feeds. Anyone have any particular brand of magazine that runs in their RIA 1911 very well?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Grand Member

JoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond reputeJoeWilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which mags work best in a Rock Island Armory 1911

Cathy is using Springfield Armory and a Triple K Mag in hers with no problems. My friend is shooting mostly with Chip McCormick and Wilson mags, again with no problems.
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM

(Bucks County)
Burton is a splendid one to beholdBurton is a splendid one to beholdBurton is a splendid one to beholdBurton is a splendid one to beholdBurton is a splendid one to beholdBurton is a splendid one to behold

Check out the Wilson Combat 47D.
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM

(Cumberland County)
autotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond reputeautotech6506 has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure the mags you have are 8 rounders? that may be part of your problem.
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Xringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond repute

I think (I'm not home to check right now) that besides Armscor I have Novaks and they work fine.
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
PAFOA Platinum Supporter

(Northampton County)
Skullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond reputeSkullz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an RIA. But between my Springfield's, Sig, and Para's, I practice with Chip McCormack Powermags and compete / carry Wilson ETMs.

Never a feeding problem in any of my guns.
Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Grand Member

tdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to tdyoung58

I have 8 round MacGar (sp?) that I use in my Armscor 1911 (Daly) they seem to work just fine for me.
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM

(Philadelphia County)
he11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond reputehe11zna has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up a few extra Novak 8rd mags here:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/MAG-AC1911.aspx
They run great in my Rock Island GI 1911, although I must admit, I don't like the look of the base pad.

Does anybody have any experience with flush fit 7rd GI mags?
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/MAG04501.aspx

I don't like the thought of giving up a round, but I can live with it as it's just a range toy for now.