Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 4th, 2009, 07:44 PM

(Monroe County)
reichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problem with Tac Star side saddle and Mossberg 500

I just got back from a trip to cabellas for a side saddle for my Mossberg 500. After assembling i soon found out that the completed side saddle interferes with the wood of the pump handle and will not allow the gun to cycle. I am thinking i will just take the gun apart and lop off the part of the pump with the band saw. I also thought i would just notch out the side that interferes. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the poor camera work!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Lawrence County)
coalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond reputecoalman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to coalman
Default Re: Problem with Tac Star side saddle and Mossberg 500

my son put a tac star side saddle on his mossy 500 , but he also put a pistol grip pump slide on it also and it is shorter than original pump slide so it clearedi also noticed that the pump slide on my mossy 500 persuader is shorter than original wood pumps. so you mabe able to trim enough back on the wood handle to clear
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

Either could be done.

You can notch it out, or shorten it....depending on what you think would look best.

If you decide to cut it off, measure the amount needed, then use masking tape on the wood to keep chips to a minimum. Cut it off with a band saw using the fence. Cut the wood 1/16" bigger than you want as the edges may still chip. Use a table mount belt sander to remove the last 1/16" and remove the possible chips on the edge. You may want to touch up the finish on the end when complete.
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:30 AM

(Monroe County)
reichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond reputereichebrown has a reputation beyond repute

I plan on using a guide perpendicular to the guide fence and setting the guide fence to the depth i want. I did not think to cut it a wee bit long to accommodate for chipping. I always tend to think of that after the fact.
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM

(Monroe County)

Well, I went to my dads today and we discovered that the forend tappers thus compounding the problem. i would have had to cut quite a bit of wood off as well. Does anyone have a suggestion for a forend that does not cover the receiver when it is cycled back?
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

Gun Parts Corp has black synthetic riot style for $25. Add another $50 for a matching stock.

Sell the wood to make up the difference maybe.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM

(Monroe County)

The problem is i need the rear stock because it has the plastic cheek rest for the bird barrel and the higher cheek rest for my rifled slug barrel. The intended purpose for the gun was to harvest deer. THe more i get down the road of looking for pieces to add on i think i might just want another shotgun.

Does anyone know if this forearm will work?

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/mo50syfonew.html
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Pike County)
gf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond repute

The synthetic that you linked should go OK. Be aware that there are Mossy wood ones that will also work, the plain, older style ones. Some call them "corncobb" style. This style does not have the part of the wood that overlaps the receiver when open. They should also be direct replacement.
I have a sidesaddle on my big 590.
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Bama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond reputeBama Man has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can see from your pictures, the stock wood really looks great.
Go synthetic for what your intending to do, and save your original wood. It will actually add value to your shotgun later, should you decide to sell it, if you have all the parts to return it to original factory configuration.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)
-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute-JD- has a reputation beyond repute

Might want to check out Havlin. They have all kinds of forends and stock sets for the 500.

http://www.havlinsales.com/model500.htm

Main Page: http://www.havlinsales.com