Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old March 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM

(Susquehanna County)
pandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pandemic Send a message via Skype™ to pandemic
Default Why is China banned from importing ammo?

Like the title says, why is China banned from importing ammo? Ammo prices would be through the floor if we allowed Chinese ammo.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old March 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Grand Member

Tomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond reputeTomcat088 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tomcat088 Send a message via Yahoo to Tomcat088
Default Re: Why is China banned from importing ammo?

Um, I wasn't aware that they were banned from shipping ammo. This is the first time that I've heard this. Where did you hear it? Any sources? It might have been that way for a long time, but I'm curious. I've seen some bad quality control come out of china, I'm not sure I wanna chance that in my rifles, lol, but I am curious about this.
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM

(Susquehanna County)
pandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond reputepandemic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pandemic Send a message via Skype™ to pandemic

Well, I'd just heard this somewhere. Think about it though. All I see is Russian, Euro, and US ammo. Where is a major portion of our imports coming from? China. This isn't the case with ammo and I'm wondering why.

I had heard that it was because the Chinese use steel core bullets. But I just saw on AIM that they have Russian 5.56x39 ammo with steel core. I'm now completely clueless as to why we dont have Chinese ammo.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Lone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeLone Wolf has a reputation beyond repute

Importation of Chinese ammo was banned during the Klinton years. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think steel core ammo for a handgun is illegal, so if a cartridge is chambered in any handgun, it cannot be imported or manufactured with a steel core bullet if chambered in even ONE handgun.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM

(Delaware County)
Iron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond reputeIron Sights has a reputation beyond repute

Lone Wolf - I believe you are correct about the Clinton general banning on China ammo. I'm not sure about the handgun rule.
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Chester County)
tl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond repute

It is illegal to import armor piercing ammo:

Quote:
18 USC 922(a)It shall be unlawful—
(7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, unless—
(A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
(B) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of exportation; or
(C) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;
(8) for any manufacturer or importer to sell or deliver armor piercing ammunition, unless such sale or delivery—
(A) is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
(B) is for the purpose of exportation; or
(C) is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General; [1]
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:51 PM

(Bucks County)
zachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond reputezachomega has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to zachomega

Even if there wasn't a ban on Chinese ammo, would you really want to shoot it? Given the quality of even "high end" Chinese products, I think I'd just rather pay more.

Where I work, we deal with primarily Chinese imported goods and we have a saying..."There is nothing as consistent as Chinese inconsistency."

-Zach
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

China makes non-AP/steel core ammo too.

Its due to anti-gun efforts through Klinton. It was during the time period when they didn't want us to have cheap ammo in the grandfathered guns that they couldn't get rid of and other political issues. Klinton also want to throw off investigations about Chinese campaign donations, banning such ammo helped blind some folks of the truth.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Master Member

(Northampton County)
ungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond repute

The ammo they were importing was not AP. Any more than the steel core Wolf that has come in the country. The ammo was not banned because some of it was steel core. It was simply banned as an anti-gun measure and it's always easy to ban imports of any kind.

I only remember firing a little of it but the general consensus is that it was problem free ammo at a minimum.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM

(Bucks County)
RaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond reputeRaisedByWolves has a reputation beyond repute

Some people actually like it and it now goes for a premium, .70c or so a round.