Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: Opinions on High Point Firearms

I called into work well today and headed for the range, Wicin's. Took the HP .45 and 100 rounds of FMJ Winchester. Not a single failure. Got the sight adjusted and it laid down rounds right where I pointed it. But damn does it get heavy! I also had my first experience with Gold Medal .22's. Are they laser guided or something? I'm just a plinker with a rifle and a fair shot but these things were awesome. I've always been one for cheap bullets (guns too apparently) and rifle shooting for fun so I had no idea of the difference. I blame this forum for causing me to have to pay more for better ammo. You people explained quality differences, taught me other options and now I NEED the better stuff. Now I have to water down the milk and steal car parts to make ends meet. You bastards.

(Lackawanna County)

my brother and i took some of our guns to the range today; we shot his Hi Point .45, Keltec PF9, my S&W Sigma 9VE, and my new Taurus PT1911. i can say that while his Hi Ponit never had one, single failure, he also couldn't hit shit with it from 25' away. it wasn't his eyes that were the problem, as he had no problems getting tight groups with all the other guns. reliable is good, but what's the point if you can't hit anything?

(York County)

I'm not sure if this adds anything to the discussion about High Points, but it is funny.

http://www.xtranormal.com/xtranormal...90316010133979

Wink Re: Opinions on High Point Firearms

Well, my high points have a group of 2 inches at 25 yards. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    he also couldn't hit shit with it from 25' away.
    and from mjf14:
    "Well, my high points have a group of 2 inches at 25 yards. Not bad."

I've only posted on here once, and have been getting educated by you folks for several months now, but here's my .02 FWIW:

I see a huge difference shooting any pistol for accuracy at 25' vs 25 yds, so I'm gonna say that's just a typo and go on, unless it's not.

I love my Beretta NEOS for target practice, and didn't mind spending decent money for it, but I know there are better and/or more expensive guns out there in .22. Can I justify the higher prices for my situation? Not right now.

I recently purchased, from Gunbroker, a NIB HiPoint in .40 S&W that I took to A&S and shot a quick hundred rounds through just to see what it would do out of the box. After minor sight adjustments, bench rested, carefully aimed, I made a five shot group at around 25' no bigger than 2" or so. I burned through three clips as fast as I could pull the trigger and keep the shots in the silhouette, and didn't jam it. Yeah, I know it's new and will eventually wear out, but it's a start. I can already see where shooting one thing will lead to more and higher-priced guns, but that's another post.

All that said, I'm sad to see gun snobs here like there are bike snobs on another site I post on. I have a $1300. mountain bike I can't stand, a $40. pawn shop bike I love, and the same is true with my guns. I think the gun hobby starts in different places for different people, but heads the same place over time.

Thanks for all the great info and advice I've seen.

Take care//dave

(down from soapbox. ends)

I have been a Hi-Point owner for several years. I am very satisfied. I bought the weapons as self defense arms for our home and my vehicle. They are inexpensive, dependable, durable and most important, they hit what I point them at. Functionality is accomplished. I don't buy them to impress others, nor for concealed carry, as they are a bit bulky. Using the extended magazine, they have plenty of grip for my big hands!
    What else is there to say?
    I can buy three of these for what I might pay for one upscale gun, but considering these stay in a case or holster most of their life, or tucked in a dark drawer, anything fancy would be wasted.
    Weapon of choice is the 9mm with extended grip magazine, loaded with Federal Hydra shock hollowpoints.
    With regard to others who try to demean the Highpoint series because of cost, I have some food for thought. We have a two story house and garage/workshop. I can purchase a Highpoint for each floor and the garage/workshop for what I migh buy one upscale pistol. I am not too many steps from a weapon should I need it. Let's say I have only one weapon. Am I supposed to tell an intruder "Please wait while I go upstairs/downstairs and get my gun"?
    I'll go with the polymer frame and have a weapon where I need it when I need it, rather than having to go hunt for it.
    Bet my life on that.
    Last edited by Will E Chee; March 21st, 2009 at 11:25 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf14 View Post
    Well, my high points have a group of 2 inches at 25 yards. Not bad.

Yeah, but their Carbines!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExTxN View Post
    All that said, I'm sad to see gun snobs here like there are bike snobs on another site I post on. I have a $1300. mountain bike I can't stand, a $40. pawn shop bike I love, and the same is true with my guns. I think the gun hobby starts in different places for different people, but heads the same place over time.
    Amen.

I can do a couple inches offhand with my Hi-poo at 15 yards without trying hard. Yes, that was the gun lubed with nothing but Crisco.....

Lycanandtheyrunwithkittylitterinthemthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExTxN View Post
    and from mjf14:
    "Well, my high points have a group of 2 inches at 25 yards. Not bad."

I've only posted on here once, and have been getting educated by you folks for several months now, but here's my .02 FWIW:

I see a huge difference shooting any pistol for accuracy at 25' vs 25 yds, so I'm gonna say that's just a typo and go on, unless it's not.

I love my Beretta NEOS for target practice, and didn't mind spending decent money for it, but I know there are better and/or more expensive guns out there in .22. Can I justify the higher prices for my situation? Not right now.

I recently purchased, from Gunbroker, a NIB HiPoint in .40 S&W that I took to A&S and shot a quick hundred rounds through just to see what it would do out of the box. After minor sight adjustments, bench rested, carefully aimed, I made a five shot group at around 25' no bigger than 2" or so. I burned through three clips as fast as I could pull the trigger and keep the shots in the silhouette, and didn't jam it. Yeah, I know it's new and will eventually wear out, but it's a start. I can already see where shooting one thing will lead to more and higher-priced guns, but that's another post.

Thanks for all the great info and advice I've seen.

Take care//dave

Enough said and said very well!
    I to own a C-9, put over 1000 rounds through it (hey guys no jams)
    I also have a Ruger 22/45 Mark III, witch I love to shoot, and a Kel-Tec P-11, for CC, the C-9 is too big and heavy.

Just for fun. Enjoy
    Nick

(Down from my soapbox)

(Lehigh County)

i own a 9mm carbine great rifle got laser and scope on it for under 200 dolla investment. i also have a c9 with factory comp broke the laser for that one so no laser on it anymore it runs well eats anything but 9mm makarov lol. only problem it mine only wants to function dirty so all i ever do to clean it anymore is clean out the barrel and sometimes the feed ramp. i also bought like a 5 dollar crossman airsoft pistol holster for it i dont carry it but the holster keeps the gun and both mags together for range trips. it functions but id still be afraid to trust my life to it but if thats all you havecash for its better than nothing. big plus they are heavy if they jam you can throw it at your attacker giving them head trauma with one well placed toss
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast