Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old March 13th, 2009

(Chester County)
Ranelagh B has a spectacular aura aboutRanelagh B has a spectacular aura aboutRanelagh B has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where is the PA militia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big77 View Post
I was hoping for organization - communication. I guess the need for that has been very little until now?

Would I be wrong to try and organize at least a way for those who feel strongly about this to communicate?

Would it be wrong for those who know how to use a weapon, teach those who do not, but want to help.

Would it be wrong, to discuss safety and plan to use the skills and time of those in the group to protect us?

I would be willing to organize an information hub. A web site maybe - with log in. Maybe not, maybe that would create a list of "trouble makers"

I want to and am willing to do this. But is this needed, or will it help?

"You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin."

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old March 13th, 2009

(Dauphin County)
jt0311 can only hope to improve

its too bad that the word "militia" is no longer politically correct. it was PC when there was a threat of being invaded by other countries. but now the big bad word of "militia" means your one step below a terrorist and your on every watch list. i think its bullshit too but perception is reality where the masses are concerned. when is the last time you saw a positive media piece about a militia that was'nt on the history channel? i've never seen one . the media always makes a militia out to be a bunch of uneducated people who have too much access to firearms who get drunk,go out and shoot in the woods and blow up federal buildings. maybe we should change the word "militia" to "disaster relief public safety volunteers" so that we can be more "PC".
Old March 13th, 2009
Grand Member

granuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond reputegranuale has a reputation beyond repute

The First Rule of Project Mayhem is you don't talk about Project Mayhem!
Old March 13th, 2009
Grand Member

(Cambria County)
Mtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by granuale View Post
I would love to join Project M*^&%$#m.

As EM mentioned above, Pennsylvania's current Militia really is a joke. I think it is more of a POLITICAL thing than a military thing.

I would like to truly see a good citizen militia set up across PA. Not just one unit in total control. But say several units, co-working together if needed.

I would like to see units in Western, PA.. A Central and an Eastern Division. Units set up that would do some serious training. Not just military training. But training on what to do in the event of a natural disaster or some other emergency.

But there are those that oppose this idea. They are concerned with these units becoming power hungry and being part of the problem if things would get ugly. And I understand that. But I for one, am all for it.
Old March 13th, 2009
Grand Member

(Blair County)
jmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond reputejmiro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by granuale View Post
The second rule of project mayhem is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT PROJECT MAYHEM.
Old March 13th, 2009
Grand Member

(Cambria County)
Mtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond reputeMtbkski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiro View Post
The second rule of project mayhem is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT PROJECT MAYHEM.
Stop talking about "IT"!!!!!!
Old March 13th, 2009
Grand Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Lycoming County)
Swarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Am I the only one thinking about this?

Search Militia, it is a recurring topic.

Here is one http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/369...ia-page-3.html (Does PA have a militia?)

Be safe (and well regulated).

Scott
Old March 13th, 2009
Grand Member
PAFOA Platinum Supporter

(Tioga County)
rwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond reputerwilson452 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Posted: July 3, 2002

Ronald W Hertzog, a 39-year old resident of Williamsport, Pennsylvania, was arrested in his minivan on June 19 by FBI and local police as part of an ongoing investigation. The arrest took place without incident, although it was discovered that Hertzog had seven firearms in his vehicle. Hertzog was a high school dropout who worked in a variety of jobs, but found his calling in the mid-1990s as a militia activist and commander of the Pennsylvania Citizens Militia. He was active not just on the Internet-where in one online forum he gave his occupation as "fighting terrorism"-but also in organizing militia training events in Pennsylvania.
more at:

http://www.adl.org/learn/news/Leader_arrested%20.asp
Old March 13th, 2009
Grand Member

(Cambria County)
Carnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond reputeCarnes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was hoping for organization - communication. I guess the need for that has been very little until now?
I don't think many people see a need for it at all. I recommend that everyone takes a trip and spends a couple weeks in a third world nation. Not even a violent one, just a crappy dirty one, then come back and talk about wanting to be prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big77
Would I be wrong to try and organize at least a way for those who feel strongly about this to communicate?

Would it be wrong for those who know how to use a weapon, teach those who do not, but want to help.

Would it be wrong, to discuss safety and plan to use the skills and time of those in the group to protect us?
No, no and no. And the best part is that contrary to popular belief, none of that would even be illegal. If you taught someone the military method for conducting an Ambush or a Raid, you could possibly be caught up in PA anti-paramilitary regulations, but if you stick to defensive things like Facility Defense and React to Ambush, it should all be totally legit. Nevertheless, I would consult and retain an attorney before actually engaging in such activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big77
I would be willing to organize an information hub. A web site maybe - with log in. Maybe not, maybe that would create a list of "trouble makers"

I want to and am willing to do this. But is this needed, or will it help?
I don't really think it will help much. The people that are usually excited about doing militia stuff have this glamorous idea about running around in the woods with cammo on and having fun playing GI Joe. The reality is that there has to be tons of focus on organization and logistics to even get such an organization to be remotely close to functional. The training is just the icing on the cake, and in reality good training is usually more hard than fun, although it does usually provide a rewarding sense of accomplishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt0311 View Post
its too bad that the word "militia" is no longer politically correct. [...snip...] maybe we should change the word "militia" to "disaster relief public safety volunteers" so that we can be more "PC".
Yeah, the word militia is definitely no good. And I don't really think that all by itself a militia is a very practical organization... It is a very expensive insurance policy against something that has a very tiny chance of being useful. I think that if a militia-like organization were to be practical, it would have to offer a much wider array of potentially useful services.

That's why I went with the name, "Pennsylvania Contingency Preparedness Organization," (PACPO).

I started a little free forum for the sake of kicking around some ideas regarding trying to get something like this going, but there is definitely a lack of interest, and at present my motivation is pretty much stalled out.

If anyone wants to take some initiative and contribute ideas regarding the structure of the organization, you are welcome to have at it:

http://pacpo.proboards52.com
Old March 13th, 2009
Grand Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Lycoming County)
Swarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond reputeSwarner793 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
I am intimately familiar with this case. It has nothing to do with a Militia, this is criminality through and through.

Be safe (and legal).

Scott