Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Romanian Tokarev for CCW

I've had a *lot* of TT-33s and variants over the years. If you choose to carry a TT-33, make certain you spend a considerable amount of range time with it. A partial list of what you're trying to study:

• Function test-One TT-33 had a severe doubling and tripling problem as received from the importer. Needed major trigger work to correct.
    • Reliability-another "new old stock" TT-33 cracked an ejector after firing plain old 7.62x25 ball ammo. Stopped feeding and required a replacement hammer housing to fix.
    • Ammunition performance-7.62x25 is a high velocity pistol round and is a deep penetrator. And, no two TT-33s seem to shoot to the same point of aim.
    • Misfiring-more of a problem with the older Chinese imports from the 1990s. The Chinese cut the firing pins too short (about 0.050" - 0.080" too short) ostensibly to convert the TT-33 into an inertial firing design, making the Type 54 pistol very sensitive to primer hardness. Placing a properly dimensioned firing pin back in clears this up.

As a closing note, less than 10% of all the TT-33s I've used had any of these issues.

Reminder-most imported 7.62mmx25 ammunition is corrosive, don't skimp on cleaning.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lancaster County)

I stumbled across a test with different calibers on USGI kevlar helmet

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

Gents... Did some practice with me Ole Tok this week end. So you guys know about this round...(it is a hoss)... At 20 of my paces, this round was going all the way through an 8" by 8" block of wolmanised pine. Zipped right through! So, if you pop a bad guy at 10 feet or so, be sure he is standing infront of a brick wall as the bullet is going to penetrate clothes, body and be issuing orders on the other side.

Again, this round is a hoss. We were shooting surplus Russian ammo bought from AIM.

Your safety is your Responsiblity.

Nosedive.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Wish there was a way to get thin grips on it as opposed to what they come with... some thinner grips and getting rid of that stupid safety and it would be golden
    I believe the fugly safety you're referring to is only on the Romanian clones. The other imported clones have different style safeties.

(York County)

the "safety" is problematic on many romanian imports. it can disable the gun by locking the trigger on successive shots even when in fire position. it can be removed by driving out a small pin. this will also result in loss of the bolt hold open on empty mag, which is a non-issue. the 70's romanian ammo is not severly corrosive, and the bores are chromed.

dump the safety, live with the hole in the side of frame, and line your bad guys up 3 at a time for your money shots. don't expect any of them to go down with one hit, unless it's to the spine or head. keep shooting.

this cartridge was specifically designed to pierce a german steel helmet. it will also pierce level 2 body armour, and occasionally, level 3.

(Montgomery County)

I am surprised no one has mentioned it yet so I shall. Take it to a gunsmith. For a reasonable price you can get better sights installed (tritium anyone, for the front) on a possibly new cut dovetail and an action job. All of that should cost a very reasonable fee. Add it all up and you have an inexpensive and great pistol. Gunsmiths are not as expensive as most think...

I know I am outspoken on this, but nothing comes perfect out of the box. Add that with the eclectic tastes of gun owners and I am surprised more do not frequent their local gunsmith. Make the gun what you want it to be...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    ... Take it to a gunsmith. For a reasonable price you can get better sights installed (tritium anyone, for the front) on a possibly new cut dovetail and an action job...
    Do you know of any examples where this has already been done?

If so, please post pics. [8^)
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Do you know of any examples where this has already been done?

If so, please post pics. [8^)
    No, I do not know of any examples of where this was done. That does not mean it cannot be done. Any competent gunsmith can take a 1911 from this:

And turn it into this:

Why would it not be possible to do an action job and cut a dovetail into a metal slide??? Just because you do not see it does not mean it is not possible.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lancaster County)

i like the way the tt33 fits in my hand...Is it just me or does every single fullsize combat pistol fit great in my hand? cz 75 ...yep browing high power ...yep...tt33 yep,1911 45 yes .... I dont like these glocks and Xds...Ive fired both and i dont like m92s or thier taurus counterparts either....
    Gott mit uns

(Bucks County)

Every time I see a thread suggesting the use of a TTC/TT33 as a carry gun, I feel compelled to suggest NOT doing this.

Firstly, as discussed, the safety is NOT safe.
    The sights leave quite a bit to be desired.
    Some surplus ammo has hard primers which do not go off on the first trigger pull.
    The over penetration of 7.62x25 is seriously unsafe should you need to use it.
    Hollow point ammo is expensive, rare and questionable in reliability for this gun.
    There is no firing pin safety which means if you have a round chambered and drop or bang the gun hard enough, it will go off.
    With an 8 round capacity, you may as well carry a revolver, 1911 or anything else.

They are fun range toys, but buy a reliable and SAFE gun for carrying purposes.

-Zach

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast