Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
Grand Member

(Blair County)
Jailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default AR & Rust?

Quick question... Since my AR is mostly aluminum & plastic (as far as I can tell), where should I pay special attention to when cleaning the beast?

It's probably been posted here in the past, and I did try searching but alas I did not find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
BerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BerksCountyDave
Default Re: AR & Rust?

It's a good idea to wipe down all of the aluminum with a silicon cloth or light oil to prevent corrosion.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Grand Member

(York County)
RoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond repute

The aluminum on my AR-15 is anodized, so as long as that is intact, corrosion shouldn't be a problem.
The barrel is steel, as are most of the internal components, so a wipe down or spray with oil is advisable.
It would be easier just to do the whole rifle though, just to ensure nothing is missed.

BTW, like Dave, I use a silicon cloth on all metallic surfaces of all my firearms. That removes fingerprints and protects. Some peoples' fingerprints contain acids which can be quite corrosive on steels.

Last edited by RoyJackson; February 23rd, 2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Grand Member

Frenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
The aluminum on my AR-15 is anodized, so as long as that is intact, corrosion shouldn't be a problem.
The barrel is steel, as are most of the internal components, so a wipe down or spray with oil is advisable.
It would be easier just to do the whole rifle though, just to ensure nothing is missed.
Anodizing is controlled corrosion, Aluminum being the medium it is, any bullets that cause sulfur and or sodium/calcium need to be throughly cleaned after. Soapy water is the best for removing calcium, vinigar works well also.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
Clint Eastwood
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Grand Member

(York County)
RoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Anodizing is controlled corrosion, Aluminum being the medium it is, any bullets that cause sulfur and or sodium/calcium need to be throughly cleaned after. Soapy water is the best for removing calcium, vinigar works well also.
From Wilkepidia:
Anodizing, or anodising, is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts. Anodizing increases corrosion resistance and wear resistance, and provides better adhesion for paint primers and glues than bare metal

Here's the whole article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodization
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

(Lawrence County)
Lycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond repute

I wipe the whole outside down with oil. The parkerizing soaks it up well.

On the inside, keep your chamber clean (an AR15 chamber brush is really nice) and keep the fouling off the bolt......(take it out of the carrier).

That's about it.

Lycanrustnotthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
Legion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
From Wilkepidia:
Anodizing, or anodising, is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts. Anodizing increases corrosion resistance and wear resistance, and provides better adhesion for paint primers and glues than bare metal

Here's the whole article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodization
That natural oxide layer is the controlled corrosion Frenchy was talking about.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

(Beaver County)
larry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond reputelarry0071 has a reputation beyond repute

I tear the entire BCG apart and clean everything with George's Weapon Shield. I wipe it with a clean WeaponShield coated swab and leave it slightly wet and reasemble. I oil every touchable part inside and out with weaponShield and I dry-wipe the outside after it is oiled. I drop WS along the rails on the BCG before I rotate the upper down to lock the rear pin to the lower. Then I put a few drops of WS in the holes in the BCG after its assembled and toss it in the safe.

Before next use, drop a few drops in the BCG holes for the pin and gas rings and again every few mag changes to keep it oiled up and wet with protective lubricant.

I like to lube my machine. No point in seeing how long it will run nearly dry if I don't have to. If you were in the sandbox fighting for life and liberty you may HAVE to run without periodic oil in the BCG holes during a mission, but on a range you have time to keep things nicely oiled. It also helps make cleaning a breeze. With WeaponShield inside, the crud from the gas stays in suspension in the WS oil and simply wipes clean once you get home. If you run dry you notice it will tend to carbon more and begin to affix to the internal parts.

Wet is good on the AR.

I run the AK and other firearms with much less oil. Certain parts of the AK...such as the piston and contact points of the bolt do get a healthy coat of WeaponShield to prevent un needed wear and ease cleaning.

I would not run my engine without lubrication... and these parts of the rifle move pretty damn fast with a lot of pressure and heat. It is after all... a machine.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Grand Member

(York County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
That natural oxide layer is the controlled corrosion Frenchy was talking about.
Yeah, I know...been involved (as supplier QA) with coatings processes for quite a few years now. Wilki defines it better then I could, especially at 6:00 AM.
Thanks for the response though!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
Legion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond reputeLegion_Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok. I guess I'm just used to explaining things to idiots then. Sorry about that. When asked to explain the difference between a cooling lube and a warming lube you just get used to never assuming anyone knows anything. I would however like to pick up a bare set of recievers to alodine. It is another process similar to anodization which leaves a surface more suitable to painting but it does not harden the surface like anodization does. However it does leave a nice translucent gold tint that I always just liked the look of and is more readily done at home without all the expensive equipment.