Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Brand New Bushmaster AR-15: .223 or 5.56?

Yesterday, I became the very proud owner of a new AR-15, quite unexpectedly (meaning...I didn't expect to see one, I stumbled on it, and bought it immediately).

They guys at the shop were very helpful, but they were adamant about using only 5.56 rounds and avoiding the .223. Unfortunately, my local shops don't really carry that ammo and I'd have to go into town to get some. Not a massive big deal, but .223 is in abundance locally--even my walmart carries that.

Anyway, the info they gave me was more or less that the .223 is slightly smaller and could cause damage to the barrel over time--the 5.56 is a better round, with more velocity and a better fit overall.

Obviously I want to get the most use out of this rifle as possible, but I also like to keep a good amount of ammo for whatever firearms I have handy. Is running .223 really going to cause that many problems with the gun, or should I just stick with the 5.56?

The book that came from Bushmaster says that I could use either 5.56 or the .223, and the lower receiver has .223 - 5.56 stamped under the logo. I haven't fully disassembled the rifle to see what the barrel says, if it's even stamped there at all.

I'm really looking for some insight or help as to what is the better ammo to run through.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Brand New Bushmaster AR-15: .223 or 5.56?

Both types of ammo will work, but there are somethings you should be aware of.
    1. Some .223 ammo uses "softer primers" and since the firing pin in AR/M16/M4 type rifles there is possibility of a condition called Slam Fire. When the bolt chambers a round and goes into full lock, the firing pin can/will continue moving forward and contact the primer. This "could" cause the weapon to fire when you do not want it to and fully automatic as well. I will try to find the article about a soldier who was arrested and imprisoned because this event occurred with his private owned M4. The BATF and FBI ran tests using both types of ammo and could not duplicate the problem and Colt inspected the weapon and said there is nothing wrong with it, but he is still in prison (last I checked) because of this. The NRA is funding/assisting with his appeal.

2. .223 and 5.56 NATO are usually different bullet weights and depending on your rate of twist the weapon may be more accurate/consitant with one or the other...

3. 5.56mm ammo is still reasonable in price and the walmart in Lebannon as well as a few others carry it. I buy alot of practice ammo from them, they even have 7.62x39 (AK/SKS) in stock.

Congrats on the new AR. I hope this helped.

Adam
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Is the difference between the two a matter of headspace? And if it is, could you adjust it with the barrel wrench, and some go/no-go gauges, 1 set for 5.56, and 1 set for .223 so you can change between the two?

I know the twist rates will be different, and that will have an effect, but i'm just curious about adjusting head space- if you can even do that?

(Beaver County)

My Bushmaster shoots both just fine. I use .223 Wolf exclusively for shooting paper. No issues with .223.... the guy is most likely just trying to get you to bite on his more expensive 5.56 NATO ammo that he hopes you will be a repeat buyer of.

Do not fear the Wolf. The wolf is your friend. Love the wolf. Those that fear the wolf simply do not understand the wolf.

(Somerset County)

I just wanted to tell you I hate you......... Now that I got that out of the way I am totally jealous and you got a great rifle. The .223 should be good, I havent had any problems with my buddies when I shoot his because I havent found one of my own yet. Let me know how it works out and congrats!

(Bucks County)

Heres a link to some reading on this topic.

I think youll be fine unless you see any of the danger signs of over pressure when shooting 5.56 out of your rifle.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/458...-answered.html

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    My Bushmaster shoots both just fine. I use .223 Wolf exclusively for shooting paper. No issues with .223.... the guy is most likely just trying to get you to bite on his more expensive 5.56 NATO ammo that he hopes you will be a repeat buyer of.
    He did say to buy ammo from Walmart since it's a lot cheaper, and not the store I got the gun at so I'm not sure he's trying to get me to spend more at that store.

However, a couple of the guys (who all have simliar rifles) said not to run the wolf ammo through because it's coated with wax or something, and that could harm the barrel. How long have you had your bushmaster, and how long have you been running wolf?

Quote Originally Posted by david1 View Post
    I just wanted to tell you I hate you......... Now that I got that out of the way I am totally jealous and you got a great rifle. The .223 should be good, I havent had any problems with my buddies when I shoot his because I havent found one of my own yet. Let me know how it works out and congrats!
    Hey, I stumbled on it totally. I only went into the store for something to store my ammo in, saw the rifle on the shelf for $1099 and snatched it immediately. Wasn't wanting to spend a grand on a rifle, but I wouldn't see one again if I didn't go for it. Pure luck david, I swear. Although, Cabelas in Hamburg had a used Colt (I think) for around $800 that didn't look too bad.

Thansk for all the other info everyone, I'm definitely doing some reading. I'm home today, and had planned to talk to someone at Bushmaster but they're having a power outtage due to the storm that blew threw here. Hopefully I'll get hold of them this afternoon, I want to fire this puppy and want to make sure 100% that I'm safe and i don't hurt the rifle (long-term, that is).

camper

(Beaver County)

That's the old Wolf. It no longer is coated in varnish that burns into a sticky mess. The current Wolf is just fine. I've put over 2K rounds of Wolf .223 through my M4's. Many here use Wolf in them... but some are afraid to admit it because of the repeated WOLF=VARNISH chastizing. It is an out dated thought. No longer valid.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    That's the old Wolf. It no longer is coated in varnish that burns into a sticky mess. The current Wolf is just fine. I've put over 2K rounds of Wolf .223 through my M4's. Many here use Wolf in them... but some are afraid to admit it because of the repeated WOLF=VARNISH chastizing. It is an out dated thought. No longer valid.
    How can you tell between old & new wolf? Is there some marking on the box? He opened a box of wolf they had in stock, and it looked like it was coated (the casing) so I passed immediately.

camper

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    How can you tell between old & new wolf? Is there some marking on the box? He opened a box of wolf they had in stock, and it looked like it was coated (the casing) so I passed immediately.

camper
    I don't have anyboxes in front of me, but you can clearly tell.

Often the "green" cased steel stuff is definitely lacquer coated. Most wolf nowadays is fine...I have some of both at home I think...will try to snap a picture if I still have the lacquer stuff.