Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Deer herds....

(Tioga County)

Default Deer herds....

Am I the only that noticed last years deer season? I mean, are the deer herds drastically dropping in numbers? Maybe it stemmed from the surplus amounts of DOE permits issued a couple of years back, but who knows, maybe I'm the dumb one here?
    Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies.

The only way the Gov't will get my guns is if they fight me for them.

Wasn't born in P.A., But I am a proud resident now!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Deer herds....

I'm not sure where your located but here in my neck of the woods the Herds are just as strong as ever and the woods just as bare.

When I bought my house 10 years ago, the heard here was 49 head strong. It dropped to around 35 head 3 years ago and is now back at 48.

We just got the paperwork to D-Map the place in the hopes of thinning the herd.

Rich W.

(Beaver County)

I got some experience in this. I really havn't noticed a decrease in population except in the state game lands in McKeen Co. where I hunt bear. In Forest Co. on od of rifle , for the last 20 years, I usually see 10-15 deer, an ocasional turkey or a bear. This past year I got a glimps of one deer, and a 20 minute viewof a black bear. My brother was 80 yards away from me, he saw 28 deer, mostly does and he got one after I yelled at him because he hadn't shot at any of the first 10. I've seen alot of big bucks taken this year in this area than ever before. Before used to be just spikes and fork horns. Just provideing some perspective. In Allegheny, Westmoreland and Washington Co.s, there's more deer than places to hunt. In Green Co. the deer are so overcrowded there sleeping on the sides of the roads. .

To answer your question have I seen drastic dropping of deer herds, yep, only in the big woods of McKean Co. (Note I also observer a significant decline in browse, probably caused from overbrowsing). However I did see some sign of them, so I know some are there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Uni_Ownr View Post
    Am I the only that noticed last years deer season? I mean, are the deer herds drastically dropping in numbers? Maybe it stemmed from the surplus amounts of DOE permits issued a couple of years back, but who knows, maybe I'm the dumb one here?
    A friend of mine and I have a place in north central Bradford County.

We have noticed fewer deer over the last two years and we've also seen fewer big bucks. Our success rate has gone up however.

In talking with the owners of the neighboring properties, they seem to be seeing more deer and are taking more big bucks. To me, all this suggests that environmental conditions have changed to the point where our property is less attractive to the deer due to less food, cover or whatever.

This year we're putting in food plots and planting apple trees to hopefully rectify the situation.

I hunted in the Sproul state forest near the Centre/Clinton county border a couple of times last year. I believe that area has much fewer deer than it used to. My opinion is based not only on my lack of success there but from talking to people that hunt that area much more than I do.

(Tioga County)

I have not noted a reduction in deer during the off season. I have noted a reduction in deer where people hunt. I have also seen more private lands becoming closed to hunting. I think the deer are not that stupid and flee to the no hunting areas. Oh, fewer spikes better racks.

Oh God the deer wars!

Deer population has dropped quite a bit locally. But I think I am fairly qualified to say it's not as bad a some think. I hunt a lot. I mean almost every day from bow through flintlock. The deer have diminished , but they are out there. The survivors have gotten very smart especially the does. They're nearly nocturnal anymore, especially the big brutes. Opening day of rifle I sat my ass down in a tree stand on the edge of a real thick overgrown clear cut. Saw nothing all day.
    A couple hours before dark 6 guys pushed through it hollering a yelping. 10 minutes before sundown a 4pt just stood up and walked out like his alarm clock went off. And he's one of the young stupid ones. For now you have to work harder, I don't think it will last however. A lot of people are pissed because they can't walk 300 yds behind their camp and bag a 4pt anymore.
    Everyone hates what's happened up here yet they sell out doe tags every year.
    I can't be the only one shooting them.
    Sometimes change is good. This time we'll have to wait and see.
    FUCK BIDEN