Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM

(Pike County)
DiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond reputeDiveGerry has a reputation beyond repute
Question injured deer

If you see an injured deer on the side of the road, that is definitely hurt and in pain can you legally shoot it and take it out of its misery? Do you need to call someone afterwards?
Thank you in advance for your input.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:31 AM

Mocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond reputeMocha Java has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: injured deer

Nope.
Call the PGC regional office if you come across one.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Grand Member

Frenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenchy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Java View Post
Nope.
Call the PGC regional office if you come across one.
Shooting a deer even almost dead and gravely injured is considered hunting... Call the authorities, let them deal with it.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
Clint Eastwood
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Grand Member

(Indiana County)
Statkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond reputeStatkowski has a reputation beyond repute

Legally - no.

Morally - that's for you to decide.

If you go with the second option, is anyone else around to report it?

By the way, if you do it out of season and/or without a deer tag, it's not hunting - it's poaching.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Banned

(Montgomery County)
BlownNitroPontiac is a splendid one to beholdBlownNitroPontiac is a splendid one to beholdBlownNitroPontiac is a splendid one to beholdBlownNitroPontiac is a splendid one to beholdBlownNitroPontiac is a splendid one to beholdBlownNitroPontiac is a splendid one to beholdBlownNitroPontiac is a splendid one to beholdBlownNitroPontiac is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb Re: injured deer

I had this happen to me one night last year.

I looked around for a large rock and that was that.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM

(Erie County)
CoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud of

Whether or not you'd get in trouble for doing what I'd consider the humane thing to do would depend a lot on the circumstances and the view of the game commission.

I'd suggest reporting it either way and certainly avoid attempting to argue that you not only put it out of its misery but didn't want it to go to waste and so took it home and processed it.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

As others have said, no. In no shape or manner may you legally dispatch injured game from accidents.

Here's a start of what you could get popped with: Road hunting, poaching, hunting out of season, unlawful discharge of a firearm(municipal laws apply), shooting across roads, etc..

Not many folks, or even some LEO's, will question the dispatching if you so choose to do something. PA Game Commission officers will write you up in a heartbeat if they catch wind of it if you do it without their consent.

However, I've been known to accidentally hit an injured deer a couple times in the head and neck with my truck tire. Was the damnedest thing too... It jumped out in front of me and laid down, then got back up and ran from behind me to in front of me and did it again.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
Tootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond reputeTootie has a reputation beyond repute

Both times I have come across an injured dear I or someone else had called the police. They came out and dispatched the dear within minutes. Let them do it.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
rovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to rovert97 Send a message via MSN to rovert97

when i worked a private community, which was ACT 235, we would call both PSP and Game Commission, and ask if they had anyone in the area to put the deer down. most of their time their response was no, so they told us to do it, in a safe manner.

always call them first, and ask if they have anyone that is available in the area, more then likely they wont. they may give you permission to put it down then.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
Steve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveGerry View Post
If you see an injured deer on the side of the road, that is definitely hurt and in pain can you legally shoot it and take it out of its misery? Do you need to call someone afterwards?
Thank you in advance for your input.
Legally, no you can't put it down. Only a member of the PGC or a LEO can legally dispatch the animal.

Morally.....it would be very hard to let a suffering animal just lay by the side of the road.

You can call, and they may authorize you to put the animal down if there is no one in the area.

Before I became a LEO, I hit a deer with my vehicle. Actually the deer hit me as it ran into the side of my vehicle. It was hurt pretty bad and I wanted to put the animal down, but I knew of the law. This happened in Bear Creek. So I drove all the way back to Wilkes-Barre (this was also before cell phones!!) and called the PGC.

I told the dispatcher what happened and you know what I was told? "Did you put the animal down? No, I wasn't sure I could. Well you should not have let the animal suffer."

Whiskey, tango, foxtrot......over!