Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Master Member

(Northampton County)
ungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spotting Scope - .22 hole at 100 yards

Hey guys,

Would like some observations on what magnification is required to see .22 caliber holes in a paper target at 100 yards. Would 20X do it? I'm guessing clarity and quality are probably at least as important as magnification. If you've seen any deals on something that will do this for me please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM

(Bucks County)
bmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond reputebmxer0122 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spotting Scope - .22 hole at 100 yards

i have no clue what size you would need.. i was actualy wondering the same thing but i was looking online at at scope that was 9x and it said it was tuned in for 50 yards so i woudl figure that you would need at least a 20x for one hundred.
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM

(Mifflin County)
IV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeIV_Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Optic quality is probably more important than magnification if you're using regular paper targets. Now, if you use the "shoot-n-see" type targets, you can get away with "junk" quality optics with decent magnification. Which to get depends on how much you're willing to spend. You can get a 20x scope at Dicks for $59.99 or you can get high quality units prices well over $1000.
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:15 PM

(Lehigh County)
wirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond reputewirepuller has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.galatiinternational.com/M...de=NCNG206060G
mine works good for .223 out to 150yrds
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
rovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to rovert97 Send a message via MSN to rovert97

ive used a 3-9X30 BSA scope for 50 yard shooting on paper targets and can see the holes just fine. for 100 yards, it should be fine if shooting at shoot-n-see targets, but may be harder to see anything on a paper target.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Grand Member
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Chester County)
tl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond repute

I use 20X for 100yds but as others have said - it depends on your target. If you shooting smallbore competition or using the standard NRA competition targets there is some difficulty in seeing the holes when they are in the black (that's where they all go - right ). The issue if that you need some sort of contrast to discern where the holes are - either by lighting angle, target backer, or bright backstop through holes. Seeing holes in white is not a problem.

I have a turret scope - 15X, 20X, 30X, 40X and frankly I use the 20X almost exclusively. The higher magnifications are harder to focus and aberrations from heat waves make them practically useless.

A 20X with good focus and resolution would be the best but don't expect to see the holes as if you were standing right in front of the target.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Master Member

(Northampton County)
ungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirepuller View Post
http://www.galatiinternational.com/M...de=NCNG206060G
mine works good for .223 out to 150yrds
What are the pros and cons of this scope in your opinion?

Great info, thanks, guys. I know I will be wasting some of my money buying a cheap scope now since I will be buying a more expensive one later. That is OK with me for now. My current problem is solved, and some day somebody who needs mine gets it for a steal (if it still works).
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Das Nemesis is on a distinguished road

one thing i used to do with my .22 was to use a piece of white Styrofoam as a backing and have black target paper with white target lines, when you hit the target it is much easier to see the holes.