Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM

(Chester County)
Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Age requirement for shooting range

I'd like to go to targetmaster with my girlfriend. She is obviously not related to me and is under 21. Can she legally shoot a pistol there since I am not her guardian/parent and she is not yet 21?

I remember going with my Dad but I don't know where age comes into play and relation with all of this.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Chester County)
tl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond reputetl_3237 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age requirement for shooting range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I'd like to go to targetmaster with my girlfriend. She is obviously not related to me and is under 21. Can she legally shoot a pistol there since I am not her guardian/parent and she is not yet 21?

I remember going with my Dad but I don't know where age comes into play and relation with all of this.

Quote:
18 Pa.C.S.A. 6115

Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited

(a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.

(b) Exception.--

(1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:

(i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).

(ii) The person who receives the firearm is exempt from licensing.

IANAL. I think she can because she would be excepted from the licensure under:

Quote:
18 Pa.C.S.A. 6115(b) (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
Wouldn't hurt to check with Targetmaster regarding any range restrictions that they may have as well as their understanding of the law in your situation.
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

(Lackawanna County)
jahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jahwarrior72 Send a message via Yahoo to jahwarrior72

i think as long as she's not transporting or carrying them to the range, it should be alright to let her shoot them.
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

No license needed on the range. And age of possession for handguns is 18, not 21. Those under 18 require a parent, grandparent, guardian, or adult with expressed consent. Since you are going to be there too, there is no transfer/loan/borrowing happening.

So long as the range has no business problems with it, she is ok legally to shoot.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Benefactor

(Northampton County)
imperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond reputeimperialism2024 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to imperialism2024

Quote:

Obviously, as in she looks completely different?

Or obviously, as in you're preemptively defending yourself against claims of incest?

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM

(Chester County)
Poonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I should hope your girlfriend is not related to you. That kind of behavior is reserved for only backwoods rednecks and the royal family!
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM

(Franklin County)
Advocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond reputeAdvocate has a reputation beyond repute

does she have a drivers license?

i really do like target master (my father and I have known and bought from tommy for a loooong time), but i would call to make sure first

for instance i go with a friend and they only ask for my ID, then on the same trip i see two obviously new shooters and they require BOTH driver's license.... it can be hit or miss.

call and make sure, they won't bite.... much

PA610)459-5400 or DE302)529-5600

Last edited by Advocate; January 6th, 2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM

(Chester County)
Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond reputeJackal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
Obviously, as in she looks completely different?

Or obviously, as in you're preemptively defending yourself against claims of incest?

A little incest never hurt anyone, did I mention we are twins?

Thanks for the info all.
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM

(Chester County)
unclesam099 is a splendid one to beholdunclesam099 is a splendid one to beholdunclesam099 is a splendid one to beholdunclesam099 is a splendid one to beholdunclesam099 is a splendid one to beholdunclesam099 is a splendid one to beholdunclesam099 is a splendid one to beholdunclesam099 is a splendid one to behold

Under 21 at Targetmaster cannot shoot a pistol unless it's yours. They do not rent or allow under 21 year olds to shoot their pistols.
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM

(Chester County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post
Under 21 at Targetmaster cannot shoot a pistol unless it's yours. They do not rent or allow under 21 year olds to shoot their pistols.
Great. That works out since I will be taking mine. Thanks.