Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old December 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

(Westmoreland County)
RocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond repute
Default .17 HMR for Deer?

Can you, and is it legal, to take deer with a .17 HMR? My kids need to go pick out a couple rifles with their Christmas money and they want to hunt! I was originally gonna get them .22 bolt actions, but I'm starting to think .17 HMR or maybe a .223 bolt action would be better so they have more flexibility for taking game but with a bang they can manage. One will be 12 next season ant the other can hunt with me under the mentor program so I need a couple guns that won't scare the crap outta them like my 7mm rem mag would! LOL

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Grand Member

(McKean County)
God's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: .17 HMR for Deer?

Can't hunt deer in Pa with a rimfire. Looks like the 223.
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Grand Member

ar15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond repute

I vote for a .243
Jules
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

(Westmoreland County)
RocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond reputeRocketFoot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
Can't hunt deer in Pa with a rimfire. Looks like the 223.
Ah, yep you're right. With the impressive ballistics of the .17HMR, it's easy to forget it's still a rim fire cartridge.
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Grand Member

(Lancaster County)
riverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to riverpirate

Even if legal to hunt deer with the 17hmr , i wouldnt recommend it at at. Mine is acurate out to 300 yards but i wouldnt even attempt a deer with it. The best "first" deer rifle for any kid i think is the 30-30. If you want something they can varmit and deer hunt with go for the 243. Rossi makes a great single shot 243 you can pick up at Dick's for under $200.
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

(Westmoreland County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
Even if legal to hunt deer with the 17hmr , i wouldnt recommend it at at. Mine is acurate out to 300 yards but i wouldnt even attempt a deer with it. The best "first" deer rifle for any kid i think is the 30-30. If you want something they can varmit and deer hunt with go for the 243. Rossi makes a great single shot 243 you can pick up at Dick's for under $200.
Now your talking...they have $200 each to spend. I will look into the Rossi .243
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
General Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Geoff has a reputation beyond repute

If you're worried about recoil management, two words: muzzle brake.
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM

(Lancaster County)
sureshot43 is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to watch local newspapers and gun shops for used guns. With a little patience,you can find a real gem. I found a Remington 700 in 270 a few years ago that was almost new for 300 bucks. The guy might have taken less if I was smart enough to offer less. Also watch the Hunting Pa forum as well as here in the classified section.
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Grand Member

(Lancaster County)
riverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond reputeriverpirate has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to riverpirate

Just remember if they are going to hunt deer with a 243 make sure they practice practice practice. Its not a huge round for medium size big game so shot placememnt is a must. With some good practice it will do the job.

ps . great for groundhogs also , makes the little buggers do flips , lol
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Grand Member

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
(Butler County)
P-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond reputeP-11 shooter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
I vote for a .243
Jules
What he said.