Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: public range?

(Chester County)

Default public range?

ok im looking for a public range in the pottstown/reading area. i want to shoot my SKS and i want to beable to load all 20 rounds in the mag. the range i ussually go to (french creek state park) has a 3 round max rule. is there a range in the area that will let me shoot with all 20 rounds in my gun?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: public range?

I've been to French Creek (SGL range), and I never saw anyone observing that rule. People load their mags for all types of rifles and fire the rifle until the mag is empty. The fact is that it is often hard to go up and check or change targets because once the group commences firing, it can be 20 or 30 minutes before a breal in the action occurs and you can walk downrange. Every shooting stand is marked with a sign that says 3 shot max, but I don't even really know what that means (from a practical standpoint), but I do know it is often ignored. Does it mean, for example, that a guy with a six-shooter can only load up three rounds at a time? My lever rifle has a 10 round magazine tube. Do I violate the rule by loading up with 10 rounds and firing one after the other until the magazine is empty?

(Chester County)

i usually do the same thing with my 22 mag. i load up all 7 rounds and fire them off one by one. my only concern is that someone on here told me that the wardens at french creek SP gave him a bunch of BS when he had his SKS there so ive been a little weary about taking it there. i wanted to see if there was a range where i wouldnt get any hassle.

(Delaware County)

The last time I was their everyone followed the rules and the Game commision did stop by and looked around to make sure all was good.

(Bucks County)

I belong to a private club and we have a 5 round max, except if you are practicing for a CMP shoot. Then you can load a max of 8 rounds. I (and the other 1200 members) do not have a problem with this. The reason for the limit is to prevent some yahoo from loading a full mag for an AK or whatever and sending a couple of rounds out of the range due to uncontrolled recoil. If that happens, we run the chance of an accident or being shut down or worse.

If a member is caught not following the rules out they go. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    One of the reasons for the State shuts down many of the public ranges is some people believe the rules are not for them.
    Keep ignoring the rules, have an accident, and see how fast the State shuts down the range.
    Three shots means three shot in the firearm regardless of the magazine/clip capacity.
    If it sounds like I am preaching, I am. We have enough to worry about in the eyes of the public. I have shot at some ranges, both private and public, that do not have round limits. I felt as though I was taking my life in my own hands.
    Jeff

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    If it sounds like I am preaching, I am. We have enough to worry about in the eyes of the public. I have shot at some ranges, both private and public, that do not have round limits. I felt as though I was taking my life in my own hands.
    that sucks.

no round limits at our club...and i don't feel like i am taking my life in my hands shooting there.

i would not join a club that had round limits. (free ranges are a different story.)

kinda hard to do practical shooting drills with round limits.

(if it sounds like i'm preaching...i am...we have enough problem dealing with nonsense restrictions from the anti's without placing nonsense restrictions on each other. )

(Bucks County)

Not nonsense. I am a certified/qualified range officer. You can do ANY drill needed with 5 rounds in the firearm. As a matter of fact, the slow fire stages of our CMP matches are shot single load. As I said, some yahoo lets a round out of the range in the middle of Bucks County and causes damage/death we will be shut down. That goes for any range. There are many people out there that would like nothing better to do away with the Shooting Sports. Look around. There were at least a 18 ranges of all types within 30 miles of me 20 years ago. Owners sold them to developers because of pressure. ( Money had a lot to do with it also). Two excellent indoor ranges caved in to the neighbors. These buildings are vacant now.

(Allegheny County)

Not nonsense. I am a certified/qualified range officer. You can do ANY drill needed with 5 rounds in the firearm. As a matter of fact, the slow fire stages of our CMP matches are shot single load.
    you most certainly cannot do any drill "needed" with only 5 rounds. (CMP is not practical shooting. not busting on CMP...it's great, but it is not IPSC/IDPA etc.)

let's see...off the top of my head. el pres requires 6 rounds...then reload and another 6 rounds. bill drill requires 6 rounds. many IPSC stages require many more than 6 rounds in the magazine.

anyway, the "need" argument is bogus just like it is when the anti's argue that we don't "need" AR15s.

punishing responsible practical shooters because of what some "yahoo" might do is no better than punishing law abiding gun owners because of what criminals might do. both are nonsense.

the problem, by your own statement, is not having more than 5 rounds in the magazine...the problem is not being disciplined about what you are shooting at, what is behind what you are shooting at, and where your bullets go.

sorry, man, but you are using the exact same rationalizations as the anti's do.

if a particular clubs wants to impose round limits, that's fine...that's their business, but don't imply that any club that does not impose round limits is being irresponsible or that you need to be afraid for your life when shooting there...because, frankly, that is a load of BS.

(Allegheny County)

Owners sold them to developers because of pressure. ( Money had a lot to do with it also). Two excellent indoor ranges caved in to the neighbors. These buildings are vacant now.
    so stop caving into pressure. btw, you seem to be adovocating caving in to their pressure (by imposing round limits due to the pressure).

as far as the money goes...well, it is a business.

(Bucks County)

LRT
    I am almost twice your age, spent 30 years US Military, and have seen just about all of it. As far as me being an anti, get off of it. Been shooting competively and responsibly since I was 7 years old. Iam a Benefactor member of the NRA, 2nd Amendent, ILF, etc, etc. I take my firearms and shooting seriously. As far as loading six rounds or five, so what. I am saying there are too many irresponsible people out there with guns. Some of them shouldn't even be allowed sharp pencils. These are the ones I am afraid of. Cutting down on the amount of rounds (especially in a semi) helps reduce any chance of a disaster.
    I feel all of the shooting sports are needed. Granted, I know very little about handgun shooting. Did my share of 2700 matches, but as far as other types of handgun competion I have no use for it.
    Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; March 23rd, 2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: needed to ad LRT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast