Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
LisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rifle Scope Repair

Are there any reliable places for rifle scope repair? I bought a used Ruger 10/22 with a Redfield Tracker 3x9 scope. I adjusted the elevation and windage, and then after a few shots the focus was knocked out. There is a rattle when the scope is moved.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 30th, 2008, 05:22 PM

(Lehigh County)
93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute93-2.3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rifle Scope Repair

first make sure scope and mount are tight (which you probally already did) secod if it is the scope you might be better off just buying a new scope id imagine it would cost more to repair unless there is a warrenty on the scope. i usally use wallmart scopes on my rimfires no problems with them yet. or check gun shows or this site for a cheap used scope
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
LisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond reputeLisaA has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. The shop from where I purchased the used Ruger gladly replaced the scope with a new one comparable to the Redfield, saying that they guarantee their guns. I pointed out that the gun was fine, but the owner insisted that he wanted a happy customer. The shop is Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro, NJ. I highly recommend this shop!
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
ALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond reputeALS has a reputation beyond repute

Most scope makers guarantee their scopes for life believe it or not.
Over the years I have sent scopes back to Leupold and was never charged a cent to get them repaired. Thank you cheap ass Springfield Amory third generation aluminum mount. The mount would loosen up and the scope would be bounced around. Not the rings just mount itself.
That shop just sent the scope back to Redfield.
Redfield probably refurbished it and sent it back to the shop.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)

Redfield no longer exists. From my research in getting the scope repaired, the company had been bought out by Blount, which also bought out Simmons and Weaver. Then Meade bought out Blount. Meade no longer honors the guarantee. I believe Leupold bought out Redfield's line of mounts and rings. There are a few companies that do scope repair, but after reading the reviews of them I pretty much accepted that I may have to repair the scope myself. If I am successful, I will let you know. :-) Bob's shop in NJ basically ate the cost of replacing the scope for me.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

Thats some good service by that shop for sure.

There are some things in life that its cheaper to buy a replacement than it is to repair it. TV's, some appliances, and most rifles scopes fall into that category. The top dollar Leupold and Zeiss scopes are worth repairing, but pretty much anything less that isn't covered by warranty is game for replacement rather than the costs of repair.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)

Took apart the Redfield and found the problem. One of the lens in erector lens assembly came out of its mount because the retaining ring came loose. The scope's optical quality will not be as good as it was because the lens that came out was chipped on the edges. But at least I will have a scope for a spare.
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM

(Philadelphia County)
pred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond reputepred has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that if you cleaned it up real well and reassembeled, even with the chips, The scope should prove to be pretty good.
The real issue is to get the optics exactly where they were for a good view!
You may be able to pick one up off ebay for cheap too!
Peter.
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred View Post
I would think that if you cleaned it up real well and reassembeled, even with the chips, The scope should prove to be pretty good.
The real issue is to get the optics exactly where they were for a good view!
You may be able to pick one up off ebay for cheap too!
Peter.

I cleaned it well, re-greased it, made new parts for it, and modified the inner tube's attachment to the outer tube for easier disassembly. The center of view is slightly blurred now, but the outer edges are sharp. I probably have a smudge on one of the lenses. I dread having to take it apart again. Overall, the scope is useable. The only thing I did not do is assemble the scope in a nitrogen atmosphere. The inner lens fell out because the lens mount only had two threads on which the retaining ring attached.