Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I HATE cosmoline !!! :(

I recently purchased an "un-issued" 1972 Yugo SKS with bayonet and grenade launcher. I know, I know....where's the pics ? They're coming as soon as I get a camera. Anyway, this is my first rifle, and I wanna clean it up nice. In the process of cleaning my new rifle, I have acquired a severe hatred for cosmoline !!! It is EVERYWHERE !!!!!! I even found some on my cat !! How the hell does it get on a cat ?? How the HELL do ya get it off a cat ?? It's on my shoe, on the carpet, there's a spot on my dining room wall !!!!!!! JESUS CHRIST !!! I would like to find the son-of-a-bitch who invented this shit, and strangle him with his own colon !!! I understand why it is used, but GODDAMN it !! There has got to be a better way !! I am pissed !!!!! I got parts soaking in paint thinner, I got parts sitting on my table, I got parts that I forget where they go !! Thanks to E.M. and Pa Patriot, I do have enough info at my disposal that will ensure proper re-assembly. (thanks guys ! ) I gotta go dig out some more of my new enemy from inside the magazine now, so I'm sure I'll be back to bitch some more later. Thanks for listening.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Venango County)

Default Re: I HATE cosmoline !!! :(

Umm, and now ya probably have it in your keyboard. And that slight smudge in the corner of your monitor and...

Glad to hear ya got a new piece though.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

rubber gloves, mineral spirits, a paintbrush, and a bucket or some other type of container and you should be in and out within an hour.

(York County)

I hear you Shakey. I keep toying with my new purchase today and get reminded for hours afterwards of the cosmo I got all over everything.
    -oil stains on jeans - check
    -keyboard/mouse is greasy - check
    -hands have perpetual stink to them like I held them in a pail of used motor oil overnight - check

(Erie County)

Not me, I love the smell of cosmoline.That's the smell of another surplus rifle.
    I found another great smell,PB Blaster,yes, but a gallon jug,rubber gloves,some plastic tubs,and a brush. Spend some time bathing your new one, Soon you will be smelling burnt gunpowder. Ah another good smell.
    Have fun,be safe and enjoy.
    "We The People..."

(Butler County)

Smile Re: I HATE cosmoline !!! :(

I like the first push through the barrel. Cosmoline come out like toothpaste.
    Personally I like to clean it up because it means I have a new gun to play with.
    Keeps me busy for a while and out of trouble.

After talking to you the other day, seeing the rifle and discussing the cosmo issue all I can say is

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Damn that's just too funny! I told you, fill up the bathtub with mineral spirits and throw the damn thing in!
    Last edited by dc dalton; November 29th, 2008 at 09:44 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    After talking to you the other day, seeing the rifle and discussing the cosmo issue all I can say is

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Damn that's just too funny! I told you, fill up the bathtub with mineral spirits and throw the damn thing in!

You stole my reply!
    (The HA HA HA part!)

I used two plastic storage bins to soak all the steel parts in mineral spirits. (OUTDOORS!!!!)
    All the small parts went into one that I would "swish around" every hour or so, and the barrel went into a long, underbed storage bin that I tipped to one side to keep all the mineral spirits in one corner to make it deep enough to cover the parts while it soaked.
    I used junk brushes to aid in removing the demonic substance from the nooks and crannies.

Note: It's very important to ensure that the bolt/firing pin are free of Cosmoline!
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/boltdisassemble/hs.asp

As for the stock, I never did mine properly... I soaked it in mineral spirits for a few minutes, then rubbed it w/a rag(many, many rags), and a brush to get it off the surface. The key word here is "surface". That stuff gets in the pores, and WILL weep out in hot weather.
    After I wiped my stock in mineral spirits, it looked like hell. The finish was now a hazy, white mess, but I simply rubbed it down with Ballistol, and it looked great. It has a non-glossy "finish", which is the way I like it.

Have fun dude.
    Cosmoline is a battle and a half, but when finished, you can tell your stories to everyone else, as a veteran member of the surplus rifle club!

ETA:
    I don't recall if I showed you my Yugo before it was cleaned up...

Last edited by Emptymag; November 29th, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Would you rather have a cosmoline covered rifle, or a rusty rifle? more accurately, you probably wouldn't have the rusty rifle, because if it wasn't stored in cosmo, it'd probably be rusted beyond use and wouldn't be sold.

also, when the yugoslav (and every other country's) army were coating them in cosmoline, they figured they'd be cleaned out in an armory where cats and carpeting aren't a concern.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Bradford County)

Waaaaay back in the 70's a old guy told me to use white gas (Colman fuel) a rag and old paint brush. I have found that to work best for me.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast