Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
BerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BerksCountyDave
Default Mosin Nagant buying tips?

I stopped into my local gun shop on the way home from the range today, and while I was walking around I saw two Mosin Nagants on the used rack for under $200. I handled them both, and I think I want one. I'd like to start a collection of older historical guns, staring with a Nagant and a Garand. Now, what do I look for on a Nagant to make sure it's worth buying? How do I tell if I'm getting a good price?

Also, what ammo is recommended for use in these guns?

Thanks
Dave

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
LastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond reputeLastManOut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosin Nagant buying tips?

91/30's were going for about $99 for run of the mill good shooters with accessories and sling. The 44's and 38's were a bit more.

7.62x54R "spam cans" were going about $80 for 440 round cans of mil-surp.

Check here for decent prices or support your local dealer with knowlege about pricing. http://www.jgsales.com/
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:13 PM

nattcmars is a splendid one to beholdnattcmars is a splendid one to beholdnattcmars is a splendid one to beholdnattcmars is a splendid one to beholdnattcmars is a splendid one to beholdnattcmars is a splendid one to beholdnattcmars is a splendid one to beholdnattcmars is a splendid one to behold

i would look for something that isn't counter bored. They drilled out the rifling close to the muzzle to help accuracy on a worn barrel. look for one with rifling that goes all the way to the crown and do the bullet test. Inspect the bore, look for pitting, frosting, and wear. If a dealer wont let you remove the bolt to look, i wont buy from them. Also check out gunsnammo.com he sells finn m39's which are just pimped out nagants that are antique that ship directly to your door. These are the most accurate nagants and prized by collectors.
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

(Bucks County)
QuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond reputeQuakertownRich has a reputation beyond repute

PM sent.....
Old November 28th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Grand Member

(Chester County)
MTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking to spend that kinda cash on a Mosin, call Family Firearms and Finishes. Basically, he is located near century arms. You tell him you want a hand-select from whatever gun you are looking for that century has. You then talk to him about what kind of finish you want on the gun, and pay him to clean it up.

The result is you get an AWESOME mosin for about $150-170.

Here is his forum on surplus rifle forum - http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=88 - and his site (which is really quite useless) - http://www.familyfirearmsandfinishes.com/

If I were looking to get a Mosin, and spend $200 on it, that'd be where I'd go.
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM

(Lancaster County)
Travis Bickle will become famous soon enough

Have you checked out Enck's Gun Barn in Newmanstown? It's probably not more than 30 minutes from you, and he normally has several Mosins in stock @ reasonable prices ($90. to $125.) He also stocks several flavors of 7.62X54R ammo.
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
BerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BerksCountyDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
Have you checked out Enck's Gun Barn in Newmanstown? It's probably not more than 30 minutes from you, and he normally has several Mosins in stock @ reasonable prices ($90. to $125.) He also stocks several flavors of 7.62X54R ammo.
Actually I've never been there but I've been wanting to stop in. I actually grew up in Newmanstown.
Old November 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Grand Member

tdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to tdyoung58

Dave

Everything you'll ever care to know about a Mosin Nagant

http://7.62x54r.net/

Be warned they are addicting.... you can never own just one
Old November 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM

(Butler County)
ShortRound45 is on a distinguished road

Dunham's Sporting Goods still sells a basic 91/30 for $80..and occaisionally they dip the price to $70. There is one in Carlisle...
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM

(Somerset County)
Guy Fawkes is on a distinguished road

And for information on any Mosin, check out this site, usually you want the serial numbers to match, bolt, receiver, magazine and butt plate.

http://www.7.62x54r.net/

George Orwell