Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
Shawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond reputeShawn.L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you change eye dominance ?

I am R handed L eye dom.
It doesnt matter much with pistols, but moving and shooting with rifles is F'd up.

Is it possible to change my eye dominance?

How?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Gold Supporters
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Chester County)
PisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you change eye dominance ?

I also and right handed but left eye dominant. When I sshoot my target rifle I wear an eye patch over my left eye. It works for me. I don't know if you change your eye dominance.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
Atomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic Dog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Dog Send a message via Skype™ to Atomic Dog

I shoot pistols left eyed, rifles right.

Yeah, messed up.

My wife puts tape over her left glasses lens. Seems to work.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM

southwest Virginia & southwest, Pennsylvania
(Allegheny County)
BCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else here remember the scene in TOP GUN where controlling your own eye dominance was a factor when simultaneously flying a jet and viewing certain cockpit displays?

IIRC, The training tool of choice was a pair of ladies' undergarments

BCI Instructor
Certified Instructor, Utah Dept of Public Safety
NRA Certified Instructor
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
Hawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
I am R handed L eye dom.
It doesnt matter much with pistols, but moving and shooting with rifles is F'd up.

How?
Short answer is no. Close your dominant eye when aiming or as posted before on this site, place a small piece of frosted tape on your shooting glasses (the dominant eye) that blocks out just the front sight when your rifle is mounted. I did this when I first started shooting trap, later I just closed my non-aiming eye after tracking the birds initial flight but before pulling the trigger.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:46 PM

(Montgomery County)
toml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond reputetoml has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
Anyone else here remember the scene in TOP GUN where controlling your own eye dominance was a factor when simultaneously flying a jet and viewing certain cockpit displays?

IIRC, The training tool of choice was a pair of ladies' undergarments
That would have been 'Firebirds' with Nicholas Cage, and the aircraft was the Apache helicopter. It was because of the helmet-mounted sight.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM

(Erie County)
CoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud ofCoyoteJack has much to be proud of

I've been thinking about ordering one of these for my shotgun to see if it works. The idea is somewhat similiar to what I found out by accident when I put laser grips on my 1911. With the laster dot set to point of aim along with the sights I can't see the laser dot if I'm using my right eye (right handed). So when I'm at the range if I see the laser dot I know my left eye is interfering with the sight picture.

Rifles really shouldn't be too much trouble. Any sort of rear sight apeture should force the shoulding side eye to acquire the targeting line. Certainly when I use a scope it doesn't matter which eye I look thru it with.
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Administrator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

I wouldn't say its impossible to change your dominant eye. But it would take a great deal of training yourself psychologically and physically to do it.

It not exactly like training a lefty to use a right hand dominantly or vice-versa, but the principle is alike.

Given time and practice you can readjust which eye is dominant.

Last edited by knight0334; November 12th, 2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM

southwest Virginia & southwest, Pennsylvania
(Allegheny County)
BCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml View Post
That would have been 'Firebirds' with Nicholas Cage, and the aircraft was the Apache helicopter. It was because of the helmet-mounted sight.
Thanks, been a long time since I've seen either movie

BCI Instructor
Certified Instructor, Utah Dept of Public Safety
NRA Certified Instructor
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Grand Member

(Westmoreland County)
TonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond reputeTonyF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
I am R handed L eye dom.

Yes.

Quote:
How?
Train yourself to use your non dominant eye. IOW, use it. However, it is not going to be easy.

Be advised there is risk involved if you don't adequately "program" yourself to use the non dominant eye instinctively then "at the moment of truth", you'll put yourself at risk in a lethal threat encounter.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort.

It's better to shoot with both eyes open but if you shoot rifles better right handed, close your dominant eye.

"... there's trained and untrained" (Denzel Washington -- Man on Fire)