Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
jcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond reputejcabin has a reputation beyond repute
Default How old before you teach your child to shoot?

I was discussing this with my fiancee'. As some of you know we have a little one on the way, what age should I teach our child to shoot at? I said I was thinking around the age of 5. She is adamantly against this age. She thinks I shouldnt teach the child how to shoot until atleast the age of 12 or 13.

My reasoning in teaching my child to safely use firearms at this age is because firearms are a big part of my life now, a hobby, a life style. I want to pass this on to my child. Also, by the time our kid is age 5 I'll have graduated college and have become a police officer (if all goes according to plan) which means my family will be a greater target than the average family. Something that seems to happen when homes are invaded is the children are often over looked while mommy and daddy get the heat. If got forbid mommy is incapacitated and unable to defend herself against the threat atleast my kid will have a chance at helping out.. I'm just thinking about this right now, I'm not set on anything. Maybe 5 years old is too young to give my child these types of instructions, maybe reserve that for a later age, however I don't think 5 is too young to take out to go shooting a .22. What are your thoughts folks?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM

(Lackawanna County)
DCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How old before you teach your child to shoot?

The earlier the better, but 5 is a little young. I remember being around 7 or so before actually having hands on. You can always teach without the actual shooting, good primer. I have a 6 yo boy and he's just not ready. Hopefully another year will get him there. Good luck.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM

••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute••SpraynPray•• has a reputation beyond repute

I tought my nefue and my little brother both at Age 6. They took to it well and listened very well. Just explain to them with out scarying the shit out of them that the gun can hurt you but can be fun if used right =D
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM

thanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond reputethanker92 has a reputation beyond repute

Never too young to start learning. I was a "tag-along" from about age 3. I learned the basics and was eventually rewarded with being allowed to actually shoot a BB gun at age 5. I joined the NRA for my 7th birthday (1954) and received my first weapon. My test was to carry a flashlight for a whole day. The flashlight was turned on and I wasn't allowed to let the beam touch anything that I didn't want to shoot. I'll never forget that. It taught me to ALWAYS know where my weapon was pointed.
I think you have to judge each child individually. In 40+ years of firearms instruction I've seen 5 year olds that I'd trust with my life and "experienced" hunters/shooters who shouldn't even be allowed to have rubber bands.
Just use common sense...don't scare them and don't bore them.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

(Clarion County)
dman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond reputedman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
Never too young to start learning. I was a "tag-along" from about age 3. I learned the basics and was eventually rewarded with being allowed to actually shoot a BB gun at age 5. I joined the NRA for my 7th birthday (1954) and received my first weapon. My test was to carry a flashlight for a whole day. The flashlight was turned on and I wasn't allowed to let the beam touch anything that I didn't want to shoot. I'll never forget that. It taught me to ALWAYS know where my weapon was pointed.
I think you have to judge each child individually. In 40+ years of firearms instruction I've seen 5 year olds that I'd trust with my life and "experienced" hunters/shooters who shouldn't even be allowed to have rubber bands.
Could not of said it better myself.-GGGGREAT POST
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM

Pennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond repute

My son is already learning. He'll be 3 in December. I took all the mystery out of guns by allowing him to handle mine (unloaded and double checked of course) whenever he asks. After the first four or five time he pretty much lost interest in it. He does still ask occasionally and I still let him handle it but he has a couple rules.
He cannot touch it unless he asks me first. He knows that if he asks I'll let him. That way if we are out at a friends house or the park or anywhere else he will ask me before touching it thus alerting me to the presence of a gun in the area. I have tested this theory both at home and at a friends house and it worked both times.
Second rule is absolutely no pointing it at himself or other people. I do watch him pretty closely when he is handleing my gun and he rarely forgets this rule. When he does we go over the rules again with him repeating them back to me.
He has "fired" a 357 mag revolver once. I supported it with my own hands over top of his and pulled the trigger. Although there was only a shotshell in the gun and had MUCH less recoil than norman he got the point. He just gave me a strange look and walked away looking for his mom. Later we were out walking and he saw the target and got one of those "very serious" looks only a child can get and asked "a gun?" while pointing at the target. I said "yep, The gun did that"
"Wow, Holes"

I will be teaching him to shoot with a BB gun when he is strong enough to hold it steady by himself.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
Pennywise The Clown
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM

Pennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond reputePennywise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
Great idea with the flashlight! I gotta remember that.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
Pennywise The Clown
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
In Memoriam

(Somerset County)
1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute1861 has a reputation beyond repute

I started teaching mine at about 8 , but was teaching them safety way before that
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM

(Montgomery County)
StealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond reputeStealthBeast has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to StealthBeast

I believe firearm safety and cleaning can be taught at whatever age the child is cognitive enough to understand it, shooting on the other hand is a totally different issue.

I don't think you necessarily have to teach your kid to shoot at the same time as you teach safety.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Chester County)
knighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond reputeknighthawk06699 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to knighthawk06699 Send a message via MSN to knighthawk06699

This is in no way a question of age, it is a question of interest, maturity, and how responsible they are. Age is just a number, if your child shows interest and maturity and the responsibility it takes to handle a loaded firearms, then and only then is it time to teach. Weather it be 5 or 15.

P.S. This is only my personal opinion and beliefs.

Here is a great oen started on this very subject.
http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...too-young.html

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!