Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 26th, 2007

(Luzerne County)
MakDragon is on a distinguished road
Default glock 357 sig

I was hoping for some input on the 357 sig in the glock 32. I purchased on recently with the intention of also getting a 40 s&w barrel as to shoot both.
Any input on the effectiveness, etc. of the 357 vs. the 40?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 26th, 2007
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to 27hand
Default Re: glock 357 sig

I happen to have a Glock 32 which is currently wearing a .40 bbl. I also have a G23 which stays with its .40 bbl.

.357 is louder. Guys on neither side of you at the range will not like you.

Effectiveness how? Anyone on the internet will give you their reasons for which is the "better" round.
I have had some trainers tell me to shoot the biggest bullet you can comfortably shoot. Others tell me small and fast bullets are the way to go.

I usually shoot 180 gr Blazer for practice and 180 gr Gold dots for carry.
You can also shoot 165 or 155 gr bullets out of a .40.
I have also read that shooting lighter,hotter loads in .40 or just the .357 sig, the guns will wear out after 10k rounds or so. I had about 4K through the .357 before switching to a .40 bbl. I don't know if that statement is true.

I do not reload .357sig. I was going to but never followed up due to time issues.
Some people say the .357sig is a more accurate round. I don't notice any difference.

I quess it is just a matter of opinion or a cost of ammo issue.

Your choice.

later, 27hand
Old February 26th, 2007

(Lancaster County)
Triggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond reputeTriggerh4ppy has a reputation beyond repute

i beilieve the 357 sig round has a higher velocity than the 40.sw i know that for sure some i saw some dude fire it and every time he did it i felt the sound waves go through my body a very loud round i guess itd be an accurate one too
Old February 26th, 2007

(Allegheny County)
yobos4vr is on a distinguished road

from hornady 357sig 124gr
Muzzle 50 yd 100 yd
1350/502 1208/405 1108/338
now 40sw 155gr
Muzzle 50 yd 100 yd
1180/479 1061/388 980/331
the 357sig is a fast round. placement is more important than which is bigger.
Old February 26th, 2007

(Luzerne County)
Holleta will become famous soon enoughHolleta will become famous soon enough

I prefer the Sig because I'm (usually) a fan of velocity over ft-lb but that's my opinion. I have shot the Glock 31 quite a bit and like it. I tried a similar change in my Glock 20 (10mm) and bought a 357 Sig barrel for it. The Sig barrel shot to a much different point of aim so I stopped using it.
Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
"Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple
Old February 26th, 2007

(Westmoreland County)
TRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
I

.357 is louder. Guys on neither side of you at the range will not like you.

Effectiveness how? Anyone on the internet will give you their reasons for which is the "better" round.
I have had some trainers tell me to shoot the biggest bullet you can comfortably shoot. Others tell me small and fast bullets are the way to go.

later, 27hand
+1 on the loud! I've seen people cut their time on the range short when standing next to someone shooting .357 Sig. They walk out and say, "What is he shooting in there? Man, that's loud." Of course, they say the same thing about .44 Magnum.

One trainer has stated he likes the round for precisely that reason. He says that the report tends to make everyone run in the other direction.
Old February 26th, 2007
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

The Glock G32 is the only Glock I ever sold to this point.

I really wanted to like the G32, but it wasn't for me.

It was indeed loud, and had a lot of muzzle flash. It also had a very snappy recoil compared to the nine and forty-fives I shoot the most. That was just me...

The thing I didn't like about the 357 Sig was the ammo I was getting.

I found that most of the ammo on the market was loaded well short of .357 magnum ballistics.

I ran only Double Tap ammo when I could get it. DT was a real handful and was expensive.

Lesser loads were no better than my G19 with +P+ ammo.

I hung onto the G19 and sold the G32 for a song to my buddy, who still owns it and really likes it.

As long as your happy!
Old February 26th, 2007
Banned

(Philadelphia County)
MarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to allMarcS is a name known to all

if we're talking combat effectiveness, the difference between the .357sig and .40 (and 9mm and .45 for that matter) is nil. When it comes to handguns, we're only concerned with penetration and permanent cavity when it comes to finishing the fight since the only way fights end with handguns it through CNS disruption or blood loss. Between all major duty calibers utilizing the proper loadings, we're talking within an inch of penetration and at most 1/10" of expanded diameter between any given load. Not enough to make a difference between a bad shot and a good shot.
Old February 27th, 2007

(Westmoreland County)
TRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond reputeTRB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
if we're talking combat effectiveness, the difference between the .357sig and .40 (and 9mm and .45 for that matter) is nil. When it comes to handguns, we're only concerned with penetration and permanent cavity when it comes to finishing the fight since the only way fights end with handguns it through CNS disruption or blood loss. Between all major duty calibers utilizing the proper loadings, we're talking within an inch of penetration and at most 1/10" of expanded diameter between any given load. Not enough to make a difference between a bad shot and a good shot.

"All handgun bullets are puny."

John Farnam
Old February 27th, 2007

(Luzerne County)
MakDragon is on a distinguished road

Thanks folks for your imput. I also heard that the bottle neck design of the sig is a big plus in avoiding jams.