Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Butler County Sheriff?

Am I correct in assuming that The county sheriff is who I would get to sign off on a form 4? I live in Cranberry Township.

I was going to call his office this week but figured asking here about the process wouldn't be a bad idea.

Anybody from Butler have any NFA stuff?

Thanks

(Centre County)

Default Re: Butler County Sheriff?

Yes.
    http://www.pafoa.org/counties/butler
    use the scroll button
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Beaver County)

Thanks, but I already saw that.

It didn't shed much light on how the process actually works. Do I just stop by and have him sign it? Do I have to make an appointment?

I was hoping there might be someone with some firsthand knowledge of the process.

(Butler County)

Call Bllodhound Arms 724-776-9271. They are in Warrendale and are a NFA dealer. I recently had Scott do a transfer for me for a pistol and asked the same question to him concerning NFA weapons. He said the Butler County Sheriff will sign. Call the Sherrif's office and explain what you want to do and they'll let you know what needs to be done or go through Scott and he'll walk you through the process. The sheriff will ask you for at least 4 references prior to signing off on the forms. Getting the Sherriff to sign the forms is similar to getting him to give you a CCW but you need more references. Best thing to do is call Scott since he is a NFA dealer and can do a transfer for you and he's right in your backyard. Real nice guy as well.

(Butler County)

County Sheriff, yep. In the Butler courthouse. If you've never been in there, you have to go into the new building, up an elevator, through a hall into the old building, then down to the first floor, to get to the Sheriff's office.

They prefer 6 references, but they accepted 4 in my case. Mine lived in MD, NC, KY, and FL, so you don't have to worry about them being local. All of your references will be called. Other than the extra references, you just fill out the standard LTCF form. They may skip some of that if you already have a license, I'm not sure.

If you don't have a license, they'll offer you one for the standard cost ($25) once the Sheriff signs. Otherwise, you may get a $5 fee for the background check.

CLEO signoffs in this county are essentially shall-issue, you just have to pass the same checks as if you were getting an LTCF, plus extra references.

Oh, and my transfer was through Scott at Bloodhound Arms as well. Great guy to deal with, and the lowest NFA transfer price I've ever seen. I'll definitely be doing my future tranfers through him as well, as long as I'm still living in this area. It's too bad he can't transfer Destructive Devices, though. I want to get an M203 eventually.

Here's what I got:

Last edited by RyanM; September 19th, 2008 at 09:09 PM.

I live in Cranberry Twp., also, about a mile from these guys. Does Scott at Bloodhound have an email address, too? I'm looking to get a suppressor for some of my .22s. I'm thinking of the Tactical Innovations Quest...

(Butler County)

Scott's email is bloodhoundarms@aol.com

He quoted me an excellent price on an AAC EVO 45acp suppressor. I will probably pick one up from him soon. Be aware the Dennis Rickard is retiring and the one Butler County Detective is favored to take his position. I want to get my paperwork in and signed while Dennis Rickard is still in office who knows if this new guy will sign or not.
    Last edited by cyclops24; January 22nd, 2009 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks! I emailed him a little bit ago. Is that AAC Evo your first one?

(Butler County)

Yes. I just picked up a HK Mark 23 so now I have something to suppress. I really want to pick up a full auto Mac-11 in 380 but I don't have the $3500 laying around.

Tell me about it! I'm going to be selling a couple things to fund this one. I figure it will probably be the only .22 can I get, so I want to get the stainless, take-apart, heavy duty one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast