Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

(Allegheny County)
JustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Silver Bear Ammo, Any Good?

I have a connection that can get me Silver Bear at an EXTREMELY low price (under $100.00 for 1000 rounds.) How good is this stuff? I used to s hoot Wolf for training, but if SB is any good I'll defenitley buy a ton of it.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 15th, 2007, 12:45 AM

(Allegheny County)
Justin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond reputeJustin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silver Bear Ammo, Any Good?

ive used the silver bear 9x18 before and have no complaints. very comparable to wolf. for that price buy as much as you can(and please please let me buy some too)
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:48 AM

(Westmoreland County)
mjd932 will become famous soon enough

I bought some in 5.45x39 and didn't have any problems with it (the gun on the other hand is another story). Sounds like an awesome price...wink wink
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
LorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to LorDiego01 Send a message via Yahoo to LorDiego01

The Silver Bear is just as good as the other cheap ammo. Except that the metal used for the casings will corrode rapidly if it comes in contact with humidity.

Just keep it dry, and you'll be fine.

BTW, where are you getting this deal, and can you hook us up?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

(Allegheny County)
JustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond reputeJustinM has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, looks like I'm buying some. I shouldn't have any problems since it'll be kept inside until it's time to shoot. I'd like to hook you ugys up but this deal is through a relative.
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Grand Member

jdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond reputejdlv4_0 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a good amount of this stuff from Cheaper than dirt for about $2.50 per 20 rds. I fired about 100rds through my Bushmaster and didn't have any issues, accuracy was about what you would expect from Wolf or anything else in that price range, I was grouping probably about 5" at 100 yds. with open sights. but for less than $3.00 a box it will get the job done. My only gripe was that it came in little boxes with the individual rounds all wrapped in paper, kind of a pain in the but to get out, but I'm just picky.

It looks like CTD doesn't stock it in .223 any more.
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Grand Member

(Erie County)
KeithPA has much to be proud ofKeithPA has much to be proud ofKeithPA has much to be proud ofKeithPA has much to be proud ofKeithPA has much to be proud ofKeithPA has much to be proud ofKeithPA has much to be proud ofKeithPA has much to be proud ofKeithPA has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to KeithPA

I think its pretty good actually. Like a step up from Wolf. Brown Bear I think is basicall equal with Wolf. This stuff I'd say is a bit cleaner than Wolf. Accuracy is about the same, no true noticable difference.
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
LorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond reputeLorDiego01 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to LorDiego01 Send a message via Yahoo to LorDiego01

I dug up that article I mentined and made a thread for it.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/ammunitio...html#post29325
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Grand Member

PA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
I have a connection that can get me Silver Bear at an EXTREMELY low price (under $100.00 for 1000 rounds.) ...
This post isn't intended to cast aspersions on you or your deals, however it does inspire questions.

This raises some interesting questions about finances, more to the point why prices are so high for everyone else. 9x18 was the cheapest ammo size for the longest time. Looks like 9x18 is $160/M at ammoman.com & CTD. SG has it for $135. Margins of 30-60 percent are unheard of in the gun industry without cornering a segment of the market.

Another detail - is this ammo being discontinued or perhaps second-grade? A recent article pointed to Silver Bear's incompatibility with water or humidity.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:55 PM

(York County)
crazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond reputecrazyyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to crazyyankee Send a message via Yahoo to crazyyankee

All I can say is that the latest catalog from Sportsman's Guide has Silver Bear listed in 7.62x39 for $148.17 buyers club price and $155.97 Regular price, that is per 1,000

They also have some Bulgarian manufacture ammo in 7.62x54 berdan primer(non-reloadable) steel case 147 gr FMJ w/ lead core for $88.32 buyers club price and 92.97 regular price per 1,000