Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old July 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
DaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDaveM55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap but reliable snubbie recommendations

I just picked up 50 rounds of Speer LE Gold-Dot 38sp +P 135 gr GDHP.

I was told this ammo was designed for snubbies.

Anyone else try this ammo?

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet out of my Ruger Security Six.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old July 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM

(Bucks County)
VariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant futureVariableFeedback has a brilliant future

Don't rule out used, either. I picked up a used S&W Mod. 60 (Stainless, 2" barrel, .38 spl) for $200.
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Grand Member

(Adams County)
djturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond repute

$150 was the price from a guy that didn't know what he had. I priced newer used ones before that and they were between $240 and $300.

He also paid half the transfer fee and gave me a box of winchester 38s with it.
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Rosko Packer is on a distinguished road

I'm a Taurus fan too. One snubbie that's not mentioned for cheap and well built is the EAA Windicator. I have one of these too. I got it strictly as a home defense gun loaded with that expensive frangible ammo. I use all of my firearms and was absolutely SHOCKED at how accurate this 2 inch barreled revolver was. At 15 yards (which is probably twice as far as I would ever expect to USE this gun) I shot group after group (3 shots at a time) of NOT MORE THAN 1 1/4 inches. I don't use a mechanical rest, in fact with this little guy I only shoot off my elbows! Yes I do measure, and yes I do say WOW! It was cheaper than my Taurus, is now getting a lot more use than I originally intended, works all the time (it's fun to "play" with), and of my more than 2 dozen firearms is one of my favorites.
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Grand Member

(Chester County)
synergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond repute

Ruger or S&W.

I've seen too many Taurus revolvers fail w/ lite range use, and too early on in their life.

Many people brand me a Taurus hater, but I've also seen more Taurus guns in action (and in repair) than those who take issue with my opinion of their product.

I wouldn't carry a Taurus, nor recommend them to anyone in good faith for serious usage.

Last edited by synergy; August 5th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old August 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Monroe County)
thelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond reputethelemite has a reputation beyond repute

You could also find a used Colt detective special. Extra round and 22 oz to eat up more recoil.

Old August 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM

southwest Virginia & southwest, Pennsylvania
(Allegheny County)
BCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond reputeBCI Instructor has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on the Taurus 85.

It's available in 3 frame compositions (steel, alloy, titanium)
I found the mid-weight alloy to be the best of all worlds,
weight and recoil-wise.

Stock Taurus rubber grips work well for me and very well for the girlfriend,
so you are saving a few dollars on aftermarket accessories.

There are only a few off the shelf 357 personal defense loads created with a snub nose barrel in mind, most are maximized for a 4'' barrel length.
This often means increased fouling due to unspent powder, increased muzzle flash and unnecessary additional expense- besides the wasted potential.
There are in my opinion many more 38sp + P loads designed for snub nose use that address the above.

I currently have 18 revolvers and pistols.
Lots of them are fun but I have a few that I prefer to count on if it would be my life on the line.
I love my former duty weapon, a 6'' S&W model 19 (nightstand gun).
Taurus Judge is fun and great for home defense but not always practical for carry save maybe in winter.
I like my Baby Desert Eagle 45 but the finish can be a concern.
I carry an HK USP 45 the majority of the time, my HK USP 9mm when
the 45 is "dirty" due to work (same manual of arms = stupid proof).
I like my Walther PPK/s for a backup but a rivet in the pockets of the brand of shorts I wear in summer often hits the mag release (draw n drop).

... BUT ... the one gun that I always have on my person, that is never too inconvenient to carry, that gets slipped into a front pocket when my wallet goes in the back one to leave for the day and that will never stovepipe or get pushed out of battery in a scuffle is the Taurus

BCI Instructor
Certified Instructor, Utah Dept of Public Safety
NRA Certified Instructor
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus

(Luzerne County)
Pa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pa. Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
...but I've also seen more Taurus guns in action (and in repair) than those who take issue with my opinion of their product.
So exactly how many is that?

I ask because I too have seen a lot of Taurus guns "in action" as well as a couple in repair (I'm a gunsmith).
I would say they do not have an inordinate amount of failures. As good as a S&W? Probably not, but S&W is not in the $ range of the OP either. When compared to the other "cheap(er)" revolvers, IMO, Taurus is the best bang for the buck

Quote:
danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
Remember Meleanie
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Grand Member

Seventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond reputeSeventy4Blazer has a reputation beyond repute

get a .357. they dont cost that much more...
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

(Lackawanna County)
jahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond reputejahwarrior72 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jahwarrior72 Send a message via Yahoo to jahwarrior72

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-M206.aspx