Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old July 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM

(Northumberland County)
mikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I clean up old ammo?

Recently, I got 1200 rds. of .30-06 from CMP. It has been in storage in cardboard boxes for decades, and a few of the rounds are beginning to show a bit of corrosion on the brass, particularly the necks. However, nothing that would make me question the integrity of the round.

What should I do to clean to them up to store them? Brasso?

Any suggestions?
"The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
I have my rifle. Do you?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old July 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Grand Member

(Beaver County)
kevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I clean up old ammo?

Brasso might work. Scotchbrite should work, also, as will bronze wool. You can get mounted wheels made from Scotchbrite at Enco (www.use-enco.com) that you can chuck in your hand drill, if that'll help. I wouldn't spin it too fast; you don't want the cartridges flying around the shop!
Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4} ‎“Man's basic vice, the source of all his evils, is the act of unfocusing his mind, the suspension of his consciousness, which is not blindness, but the refusal to see, not ignorance, but the refusal to know.” -- Ayn Rand
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

A tumbler.

Ammo manufacturers tumble most of theirs before packaging.
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM

(Northumberland County)
mikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
A tumbler.

Ammo manufacturers tumble most of theirs before packaging.
You can tumble finished ammo??? I dont reload, but know a little about tumblers - that they tumble the casings and knock off any debris.

Interesting.... what kind of medium would one use for finished ammo?

Damn... may have to get a tumbler now.
"The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
I have my rifle. Do you?
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute

I use crushed walnut shells (sold in pet stores/walmart) for tumbling, very cheap. I haven't bought any of the expensive media ever.

I add a cap full of flitz polish, sometimes nu finish car wax.

I don't normally tumble finished rounds, usually surplus ammo that is dirty, had some 7.62x51 that had an oily residue, tumbled it clean.

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:04 PM

(Northumberland County)

That is exactly what I am doing - its Greek surplus ammo that just got dirty from sitting in the cardboard for my guess is 30 years.

Awesome, awesome. How long do you tumble, just until they look good?

Anyone have a good line on a decent tumbler what will work with .30-06 rounds?
I have my rifle. Do you?
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute762xIan has a reputation beyond repute

I basically tumble until cleaned off, not necessarily shiny, check the tarnished spots that they are nice and smooth. An hour or two should be fine.

As far as tumblers, I like the Lyman offerings, have a 1200 with hundreds if not a thousand or so hours on it. Got it at Cabelas, had a coupon though, so not sure on prices.

Usually do 100-150 pistol or 50-75 rifle at a time.

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Grand Member

(Beaver County)
kevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond reputekevindsingleton has a reputation beyond repute

Any of the case tumblers (Lyman, RCBS, Dillon, etc) will work, with crushed walnut shells, or even corn cobs, but I DO NOT recommend tumbling finished cartridges! While it's extremely unlikely that anything bad will happen, if something bad does happen, it's likely to be really, really bad, and involve things like fire trucks, lots of water damage, and insurance claims inspectors. At the end of it all, you get to explain to the wife that it all happened because your ammo was dirty.

What could happen, you ask? How about a bullet, or two, shakes loose, dumps the powder into the tumbling media where it finds a spark from static electricity, and starts a little fire in your neat reloading shop, which eventually goes up in smoke, with the sound of gunfire keeping the firefighters at bay while they try to keep the fire from spreading too far into the neighborhood.

How bad is it, really? I'd stick with the Scotchbrite. Maybe the wife will help, once you tell her that she's saving the house from certain destruction.

From the Lyman website:

Important Safety Information
1. Under no circumstances should live ammo or primed cases be tumbled.
Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4} ‎“Man's basic vice, the source of all his evils, is the act of unfocusing his mind, the suspension of his consciousness, which is not blindness, but the refusal to see, not ignorance, but the refusal to know.” -- Ayn Rand

Last edited by kevindsingleton; July 17th, 2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added Safety Info from Lyman
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Xringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond repute

I take the word tumble with a grain of salt when talking with gun people. I will say I tumble my brass but in reality it is a vibratory case cleaner. The rounds do not actually flop around like they would in a rotating tumbler (think rock tumbler). I don't think I would "recommend" it to any person asking, I would just tell them this is what I do on occaison and they can try it if they wish. I've done it before and have had no problems (knock on wood ).

And yes, IIRC some ammo manufacturers do clean the finished ammo in some manner, I would suspect large industrial vibratory cleaners.

You don't need to leave it go for very long, just long enough to remove the corrosion. Crushed walnut shells would probably do the job the fastest but ground corncob would work also. As stated above, go to the local pet store, you can get both and much much cheaper than buying it from a gun place.
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM

(Lackawanna County)
DCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond reputeDCChris has a reputation beyond repute

Try some Tarn-X if you can find it. Usually works really well, and fast.