Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old July 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM

(Washington County)
Mr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Anderson
Default ? about Short Barrel Rifles?

Now I know you can make your own Short barrel rifle after getting ATF approval. I have been looking at the Mp5 Clones.
Would it be possible to by one of the ones sold as a pistol and file the paper work/jump though all the hops and put the stock on it or would you have to get the one sold as a rifle and then go from there. I guess my real question is can you turn a pistol into a rifle?

Pistol
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=104268795

Rifle
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=104158521

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old July 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Super Mod: In Memoriam

(Montgomery County)
JayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JayBell Send a message via Yahoo to JayBell
Default Re: ? about Shot Barrel Rifles?

the cost for the tax is the same, whether you pistol to rifle, or rifle to SBR.

however, if doing it, i'd go pistol to SBR, that way all you need to do is add the buttstock, versus having to get the barrel cut down.

investigate the pistol carefully to make sure you CAN put a buttstock on with a minimum of work, sometimes they deliberately make it so its difficult to put a stock on.

so yes, you can SBR from a pistol, or from a rifle.

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM

(Washington County)
Mr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Anderson

thanks a lot for the information and the fast reply
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM

(Mercer County)
elitefirearms is just really niceelitefirearms is just really niceelitefirearms is just really niceelitefirearms is just really niceelitefirearms is just really nice

Coharie makes it a pain to put a stock on their pistol. but they also make it a pain to put a new barrel on. either way it can be done but its not easy unless you send it out to someone like TSC and i think its $450 to put a stock on. thats including the stock of course. or you can redneck it and use a hacksaw on the barrel then get it registered.
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM

(Pike County)
Snert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond reputeSnert has a reputation beyond repute

call coharie and ask if they have any SBR's in stock. I kind of doubt it , but you never know. But I wouldnt waste any time calling. They are soon to stop production of some of them. Not sure the specifics, but well just call..

Snert...

PS. prices on them are also starting to rise due to production cuts...
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Mtdew is just really niceMtdew is just really niceMtdew is just really niceMtdew is just really nice
Default Re: ? about Short Barrel Rifles?

I'm not sure if that still make the FS model with the std MP5 (8.85") lengh 3lug barrel w/pinned on extension, but that is another option if they do.

Or you can thread for a adaptor.

Old July 10th, 2008, 05:34 AM

(Berks County)
sluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond repute

The Coharie will fit to the HK factory stocks. I know because I did what you are talking about. The reciever is slightly out of factory spec however so it will take a bit of elbow grease to get it on and off when cleaning but it is no big deal. Buy the pistol and submit your form 1. When it comes back approved get the stock and pop it on and mark the firearm as required. Then have fun.

Here's mine with AAC Striker II suppressor
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
mojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond reputemojo has a reputation beyond repute

Not to side track this post ...

But if I'm understanding this correctly. If you put a stock (fixed or folding) on a Pistol then it's really a SBR and you have to do all the ATF forms first, correct?
WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM

(Berks County)
sluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond reputesluggie24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Not to side track this post ...

But if I'm understanding this correctly. If you put a stock (fixed or folding) on a Pistol then it's really a SBR and you have to do all the ATF forms first, correct?
Correct. Paperwork approved first. Then install any type of stock on a pistol with a barrel <16" to make an SBR. Then you have to mark the SBR as the new maker per ATF regs.
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM

(Clearfield County)
Stooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond reputeStooperzero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then you have to mark the SBR as the new maker per ATF regs.

This can be a major PITA. I was able to dremel the info on my AK and UZi SBR's

BUT an AR lower you gotta get somebody who does it full time.