Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default selling price vs trade price

I know that when I'm selling a gun I can look to Gunbroker and other sites to see what similar guns have gone for. And I've noticed that when individuals offer up a gun for sale or trade, the trade value is usually higher than what they are asking for it. Is there a rhyme or reason to assigning a trade value (not when trading it in to a gun shop who's in the business to make $) to a firearm your looking to trade with another private party? I'm open to what everyone's thoughts are on this.

I searched the forums but didn't come up with exactly what I'm looking for.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: selling price vs trade price

It all depends on who agrees with whom.

If Gun Broker has something you want and are willing to pay what they're asking, then all is well.

If someone else has something you want and are willing to pay what they're asking, then all is well.

If one of the parties doesn't agree, then it's time to negotiate.

(Allegheny County)

I always looked at it as a "value" thing, and not necessarily money value.

For example, I have a gun that to me has "low value" as I want something else...
    Now I haven't bothered to verify GB values, but my SAIGA trade-gun is certainly more than what the .308 Israeli-converted Mauser bolt guns once sold for - $100.00 or less ??? - when they were everywhere in the 80's. Same for the 8mm Egyptian FN49s...

So whoever stepped up with a .308 VZ24 or Egyptian 8mm FN49 they bought for a hundred bucks or so years ago would be on the plus end of the deal today.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Its all relative to what you want, what you need and what you are willing to part with to gain said item.

For example, if i had a gun for sale $400 but said i was willing to trade for it, and say you had a high point .45 you wanted to trade..

I might agree to $500 plus the highpoint as a paperweight as a fair sale..
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I never understood that whole buy price versus trade value either. I think the people that do that aren't very smart as it should make no difference.

(Beaver County)

I do it b/c I rather have the money vs the trade item. If I take the trade, 99% of the time I do it b/c my intent is to turn around and attempt to make the original asking price on the item I traded away. I've passed up trades b/c I have learned certain things just don't resell well.

Example: Someone wants an M1A I have (avg price used 1200 depending on the model so we will say I'm asking 1200) they offer me their super sweet milspec Colt 6920. Ummm, that's a no. If they want to make that trade, they either have to add $500 on top of that, add another item that surpasses the value of the M1A, or offer a totally different trade. Reason being, I want to be able to turn around, list the Colt for $700 and be done with it.
    I have hurt myself in the past on trades, so now if I make the statement that I want more than "face" value of the item I have if you're not looking to pay cash.

Recent offers were somebody wanting to trade my .308 AR for a Saiga .308. When I tell them they have to add cash or another item they argue that "you can't get these anymore". Well, nobody really wants them. Another person wanted to trade me a Saiga 7.62x39 with the same argument. Well, same issue. Other quality AKs can be had now, and most people aren't seeing this as a Polytech ban.

Now I'm rambling.

Summary: I want more value in a trade than cash value b/c I'm still suck with something and no money.

(Bucks County)

If I am listing something for sale or trade, I value cash MORE than a trade, as it can be used to purchase ANYTHING I want with it. Taking your trade means I am stuck with whatever you have (unless I can sell it off for the same price I wanted originally). Therefore, I am willing to discount what I consider the full value if the buyer is offering cash.

(Luzerne County)

If you would rather the cash why accept a trade in the first place?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I never understood that whole buy price versus trade value either. I think the people that do that aren't very smart as it should make no difference.
    Simple. Ever do baseball cards as a kid? Heavy in one player, none in the other; what's more valuable to you? The one you need, or one of the 6 you have?

I'm sure I'm like a LOT of folks on this forum; more guns than money. More important uses for money than guns. Trade away your extras for what you want - and don't want to spend on.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Simple. Ever do baseball cards as a kid? Heavy in one player, none in the other; what's more valuable to you? The one you need, or one of the 6 you have?

I'm sure I'm like a LOT of folks on this forum; more guns than money. More important uses for money than guns. Trade away your extras for what you want - and don't want to spend on.
    If you had a few Honus Wagner: 1909-1911 sweet cap cards, i would trade them for just about any other card...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast