Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Allentown gun show... its getting bad out there

Went to the Allentown gunshow today.

$8 to get in?

Maybe 80-100 tables? Promoter says 1000 tables on web page... that MUST be max hall size.

New entrant to the gun shows - TUBE SOCKS. There must have been 4+ ppl selling socks. BINS and BINS of socks! Don't remember any jerky dealers... but SOCKS out the wazzo.

One 1 significant AR-15 dealer.

Garands are up to $1000-$1400.. and most of those were POST WWII (!?!?!?!)

Ppl still selling en-block clips for $1 each (?)

Not alot of ammo sellers either.

Apparently there was a HUGE cache of russian sniper rifles found... one guy had like 10 of them... IIRC price was like $2K+? I didn't care to look closely.

Primers were $24 for standard. Thats up.. but knew that was coming. Powder was $14 for a 1lb jug of bullseye.

Only thing that saved the day was the Harbour Freight accross the street. $28 for a belt sander! WOO HOOO!!!!

Default Re: Allentown gun show... its getting bad out there

Not Allentown but there was a show up here a month or so ago. Maybe 50 tables (at the most) and it was pretty sad IMO. About 4 AR's and maybe 2 or 3 AK's total there. I don't recall any Garands or Carbines. Alot of junk though... If I recall it was $5 to get in. Waste of time. What happen to all the good shows? I remember going to shows that had rooms filled with people selling GUN stuff. Heck, most all the prices were more than you can buy the stuff ANYWHERE. What happened to the good old days?

[/endrant]
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Lebanon County)

I went to 3 gun shows this year, and I swear I saw a lot of the same exact guns at them all. Everything seemed to look unsought, and over priced. The last one I went to was huge, about half a square mile. I decided to finally buy a german mauser at it, and a cloth rifle bag.

(Delaware County)

Went to the Pa. Sportsmens Show at Valley Forge Convention Center. Big disappointment. 10.00 to get in. Not even 30 tables. Whats going on with all these shows?

(Delaware County)

The Pa. Sportsmens Show at Valley Forge Convention Center is not the Valley Forge gun show. It's a separate one, that's why you didn't see much guns.

(Delaware County)

Just talking about the show in general. The show in Fort Washington was much better.

(Delaware County)

I liked the Fort washington show too. Too bad it was discontinued.

The only one that I go to now is Valley Forge.

(Berks County)

They moved the Valley Forge Sportsmans show to the Reading Expo Center. It was 2 weeks ago. Pretty many stands there...Alot of beef jerky for you hungry guys, but the usual people selling socks were there too.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay5oh View Post
    Not Allentown but there was a show up here a month or so ago. Maybe 50 tables (at the most) and it was pretty sad IMO. About 4 AR's and maybe 2 or 3 AK's total there. I don't recall any Garands or Carbines. Alot of junk though... If I recall it was $5 to get in. Waste of time. What happen to all the good shows? I remember going to shows that had rooms filled with people selling GUN stuff. Heck, most all the prices were more than you can buy the stuff ANYWHERE. What happened to the good old days?

[/endrant]

Sorry, nothing to add regarding Allentown show.

What happened to all the good shows? Good question...
    Just a guess here, but I'm thinking the internet would have something to do with it.

1. The web makes it MUCH easier to locate and buy items you would never find locally.

2. You can learn things from forums like this that make driving to a show or even a shop unnecessary.

3. You can very quickly compare prices nationwide and have that item shipped and in your hands in just days, even using the slowest form of delivery.

I can't always afford to buy from the local gun shop. If there is a large difference in price, I must go with the lower price. I do however, try and pick up my cleaning supplies and other items that are only slightly more expensive at the mom and pop gun shop. I'm not in retail, but I'd have to imagine it's getting more and more difficult for the small shops to survive.

The easiest way to save cash is to search online. This goes for any product, not just firearms.
    In a way, the web is a lot like Wal-Mart in that it's "driving small businesses out of business".
    Nobody's bitchin' about web sales driving mom and pop out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post

Apparently there was a HUGE cache of russian sniper rifles found... one guy had like 10 of them... IIRC price was like $2K+? I didn't care to look closely.

And better yet that you didn't buy, as the number of fakes are on the rise. Interordnance isn't helping by offering very good quality (but overpriced) fake PU and PE examples allegedly built on the same machinery, and nearly the same cost as an original. How they shoot has yet to be determined.

A big ticket attracts forgers like flies on stink. Some are in plain view -- look at bent-handle bolts for 91/30s on ebay. All are reworked standard bolts. Of course, they're just for looks, or sportsmen modifying their huntin' gun, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast