Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM

(Allegheny County)
pghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Remington Primer Question

What is the difference between Remington 5 1/2 small pistol primers and Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers. What does the number represent? I bought 500 of the 1 1/2 and liked them so I went back and bought 1000. When I got home I noticed the difference in numbers. Thanks.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
Pukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond reputePukindog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remington Primer Question

The remington #1 1/2 are small pistol primers, the # 5 1/2 are small pistol magnum primers.

Jeff
Browning Collectors Association
Sharps Arms Collectors Association
SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Grand Member

WVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond reputeWVBob has a reputation beyond repute

With the Mag. primers you have to use .10 less powder. While it does not make a big difference, it can in a very small charge for a .380 or .32.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Xringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to (or have a catalog from) MidwayUSA, and go to the primer section it will give you all the numbers from all the manufactures and explain what they are (small pistol, small pistol magnum, large rifle, small rifle, shotgun, etc.). You can also find good charts on the net that explain this also.
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM

(Allegheny County)
pghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond reputepghplr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. You'd think they'd want to mention that little tidbit of info on the box somewhere. As I had loaded up and shot about 200 rnds with those primers in them. Luckily they were just midrange plinking and not maxed out.
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:53 PM

(Lycoming County)
mgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond reputemgs has a reputation beyond repute

I also bought some 5 1/2 by mistake. I am going to use them in my .40 S&W CX4 Carbine since the regular pistol primers are a bit soft. In the Carbine, the bolt-face marks them but in my pistols they are fine. I'm sure the 16" barrel is building more pressure than a 4" with heavy loads, Mike.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:08 PM
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
max384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond repute

That's odd. Usually a manufacturer lists whether they are magnum primers or not (to avoid a mistake)... then again I've never used remington primers before. Were they recently manufactured or was it an old box?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM

(Berks County)
huntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
That's odd. Usually a manufacturer lists whether they are magnum primers or not (to avoid a mistake)... then again I've never used remington primers before. Were they recently manufactured or was it an old box?
They're new manufacture.

A few months ago I bought some at Cabela's and only noticed they were the magnums when I got home.

As was mentioned, use 10% less powder.....
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM

RemShooter is just really niceRemShooter is just really niceRemShooter is just really niceRemShooter is just really nice

Actually...

The 1-1/2 and 5-1/2 are the same as far as the type and amount of primer mix they contain. The 5-1/2 is not a "magnum", by standard terminology, and NO charge weight adjustment is needed compared to the 1-1/2. The difference is in the thickness of the metal in the primer cup, with the 5-1/2 being slightly thicker.

Remington recommends the use of the 5-1/2 for use in 357 Magnum and 40 S&W as it is more resistant to cratering (flowing up around the firing pin) and piercing when fired due to the pressure in those rounds.
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Grand Member

(York County)
Yoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond reputeYoder has a reputation beyond repute

I bought 5k of the 5 1/2 primers from Cabelas. I would say at least 25-35 misfires per 2k reloads. These all were seated below flush and would not fire even on the second try. I loaded 1k Federals and not one misfire. I only use the Remington primers for target shooting, all my match ammo is Federal only. I hope you have better luck.