Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust

(Erie County)

Default Rust

I found a small spot of rust on the outside barrel of my Buck Mark .22. It's about 1/4" in Dia. It appears to be surface rust. Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the rust without damaging the finish. I thought about very fine steel wool with a little oil, but thought I'd ask for suggestions before I screw it up. Thanks.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Rust

Did you try using smoething like Hoppes #9 on is with a cleaning patch?

(Philadelphia County)

I had a little rust on the outside of my .22 marlin as well.

I just used a very, very soft steel wool brush thingie, and some CLP lube.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

Go to the hardware store and purchase some 0000 steel wool (this is the very finest grade available). Dab it in some Hoppe's No. 9 and buff off the rust.

(Union County)

Find a WHEAT penny; use good grade of cutting oil/kerosene/transmissionoil; use edge of COPPER/wheat penny to cut the rust bloom, wipe often with clean cloth to check your progress. Material from penny is softer than blued surface and harder than rust.......copper material will fill rust pits in minute manner and stop further forms of rust.........usually dos not show much. I have used this method for years. steel wool scratches surfaces and leaves marks/removes bluing..........

I have used this method for years and it works for me---This tips was given to me years ago by an "old" gun nut.

grizz

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLYBEAR View Post
    steel wool scratches surfaces and leaves marks/removes bluing..........
    grizz
    This has not been my experience using the very fine grade (0000) and I've even used it on handsomely blued firearms like S&W revolvers.

(Montgomery County)

+1 on the 0000 steel wool. Also coat the gun with Eezox and let it dry. The gun will never rust again with regular reapplication of Eezox.
    ~Wales

Take your ditryest gun cleaning rag, get all the fouling out of all the guns you have with it, then use the dark rag as a polishing on your blue, wont scratch, will remove the rust and the pitts if any will be filled.

Where you been storing? I have just taken out my mosberg deer slayer out of the trunk of the car where it has been since august, no rust, I dont know where you can store that would be more humid then the trunk of a car... Well, Ok you could store under water

Man i need to find my camera now... I havent seen the thing since we moved, I pray it did not go in one of the boxes for garbage!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Erie County)

Thanks everybody for your help. I used Hoppes #9 with 0000 steel wool, and no sign of rust and no damage to the finish. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by philhir View Post
    Thanks everybody for your help. I used Hoppes #9 with 0000 steel wool, and no sign of rust and no damage to the finish. Thanks again.
    Talk about Dyslexia, I was for sure this was pghplr No wonder he thought I was wierd last time i chatted with him and mentionned the rust on his .22
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast