Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old May 24th, 2008

(Montgomery County)
Glocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond repute
Default S&W 642/442 Manual:Cleaning and Field Stripping

I recently purchased the S&W 442. The manual that comes with the gun is not specific to the field stripping/cleaning of the 642/442. It basically applies to any S&W revolver.

Does anyone have either a 642/442 manual they can e-mail me, OR give me detailed instructions on how to field strip/clean the gun.

I am fairly new to revolvers. I am assuming that I should be cleaning the chambers/barrel the way I would any other gun. I am also assuming that I should not be taking anything apart.

Thank you in advance!
Glocker

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 24th, 2008

(Delaware County)
glassman will become famous soon enoughglassman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: S&W 642/442 Manual:Cleaning and Field Stripping

congrats on the new pistol. I've had mine for a while now and like it a lot. There's no magic to cleaning it. Brush and patches just like any other pistol. Pay attention to the area under the ejection star as that can gunk up pretty quickly. I use a well worn green scrubbing pad to clean the cylinder face. I've read about people taking the face plate off on a yearly basis to blow the pocket lint out of it but haven't done it myself. There's a thread dedicated to the j frame over at 'thehighroad.org'..642 club. Lots of good info there. Enjoy your new pistol.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658

Last edited by glassman; May 24th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 24th, 2008
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
Suburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about taking a revolver apart until you've got at least a few thousand rounds through it. Clean the chambers and the bore, wipe down any visible powder fouling, and maybe coat with oil it if it's blued.
Old May 24th, 2008

RLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond reputeRLS has a reputation beyond repute

I use a bore snake to clean the cylinder on a revolver. I start the bore snake in one chamber and before I fully pull it through, I start it in the the next chamber. I can keep better track of which chambers I have cleaned, as I generally find a way to spin the cylinder if I use a cleaning rod.

Rick
Old May 24th, 2008
Grand Member

(Chester County)
synergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond repute

Use one of the steel Tornado brushes on the cylinders to speed things up, a bronze brush on the bore, then wipe down what you can get to.

If your going to open the sideplate, you better damn well know what you're looking at. Most shooters should never go in here. If your going to do it, buy the Kuhnhausen book and keep it close by.

If your going to take any screws out, use a screwdriver that fits the slot well. The front screw which holds the cylinders and crane in place is a special screw, and isn't cheap to replace. This is the only screw you should even possibly take out without understanding the intimate workings of the action.

With this removed you can take the crane and cylinders out. The crane has two raised bearing surfaces which contact the cylinders. A drop of oil on each can make your trigger pull a little nicer.

I'd pay a certified armorer to do anything more to your gun than this.

Last edited by synergy; May 28th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 28th, 2008

(Montgomery County)
Glocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond reputeGlocker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info........

Glocker