Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old May 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to 27hand
Default ACT 235 certification

Another thread requested information on act235 certification cost and time.

Since I may do something requiring this upon retiring, I looked into the total costs myself and chose to submit a new thread which addresses this certification.

Here is a link to Pa schools (not a complete list) http://www.lethalweapons.state.pa.us...te/default.asp

I called one school to get some specific costs. The school I called is pretty close to me. Shield Training(http://act235.com/)gave me information on what they charge to get this certification.

Anthony Arms also was listed on a google search to provide this cert. I sent them a request for total cost information.http://www.anthonyarms.com/lethalweaponstraining.htm

Info from Shield training as follows:

$80.25 is the app / background fee. PSP provides cards. In fact the
majority of the barracks went to the electric years ago so no cards needed.
Just follow the directions laid out on our site.

$30 fee is a money order that we have to attach to your grade sheet and you
just need to provide that by the final class day. It's your fee to get the
card printed.

Class is $450 for firearms, $400 for non-firearms certification.

Firearms portion is held at our police range. Twin Rivers COG. The map and
directions are on our website.

You must be 18 years of age to qualify and successfully pass all 4 pieces of
the puzzle as laid out on our website, before the state will certify you.

So, if I choose to use this school, I am into $560.25. This does not include a psychological exam or eye exam.I may also have to pay for the physical dependent on time nearing a class.

Use of OC training is also included.

The firearms qualification is 30 rounds.
12 @7yds
12@15yds
6@25yds

End of Shield Training info.

I saw a few other schools which were not listed on the website and will call around.

I think this class has to be presented by either a police officer or a lawyer IIRC.

This is my preliminary research. I will edit if I find other info.

Does anyone have anything to add? If so , thanks.

27hand

Last edited by 27hand; May 11th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Grand Member

(Blair County)
Jailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJailkeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACT 235 certification

Reps to ya' 27. I am interested in this as well.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute27hand has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jailkeeper,

I just edited the OP to include an Anthony Arms site for this same class.
I don't know if Otto Orive is the instructor but he is associated with Pafoa.

I will continue to update the OP as information is collected.

later, 27hand
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM

(Allegheny County)
Orive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond reputeOrive 8 has a reputation beyond repute

27Hand,

My company Personal Security Consultants provides the defensive handgun training courses at Anthony Arms, however we are not involved in the ACT 235 Training.

If you have any questions regarding the ACT 235 classes, you should contact the Manager Mark Pasquale; he can answer any of the questions that you might have. (412-469-9992)

Also, one of my Range Officers took his ACT 235 Training with S.H.I.E.L.D.; if you have any questions about their training program I would be glad to assist you in contacting him for the particulars about their program.

Good luck in your endeavor!
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Grand Member

tdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond reputetdyoung58 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to tdyoung58

I know HACC at the Harrisburg campus offers a ACT 235 class as well, don't remember what they charge, was looking into it before I got this here gravy job contracted to the gooberment
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
27Hand,

My company Personal Security Consultants provides the defensive handgun training courses at Anthony Arms, however we are not involved in the ACT 235 Training.

If you have any questions regarding the ACT 235 classes, you should contact the Manager Mark Pasquale; he can answer any of the questions that you might have. (412-469-9992)

Also, one of my Range Officers took his ACT 235 Training with S.H.I.E.L.D.; if you have any questions about their training program I would be glad to assist you in contacting him for the particulars about their program.

Good luck in your endeavor!
Thanks Otto,

I wasn't sure if you had any involvement.

I did talk to Jeff at SHIELD and the info I posted was from him.

I may talk to Mark just to compare notes and cost (they more than likely are somewhat similar).

I'm at least a year out at this point from deciding what I'll do after cleaning out the garage and painting the house inside and out.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

27hand
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM

(Lehigh County)
yetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain the fundamental differences between LTCF and Act 235? Is 235 for LEO's exclusively?
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM

(Lehigh County)
yetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond reputeyetidave has a reputation beyond repute

Got it, thanks man.
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM

(Lehigh County)
xx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond reputexx AG xx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27hand View Post

Class is $450 for firearms, $400 for non-firearms certification.

The firearms qualification is 30 rounds.
12 @7yds
12@15yds
6@25yds

27hand
$450 I think is alot.

I took my Act 235 course in November of last year.

I did it at LCCC in Schnecksville.

The class itself was $235, psych eval was $150, and then fingerprinting fees and everything else came close to $500.

I did it in 2 weekends (Fri, Sat & Sun). One weekend was firearms training and Qualifications.

Mine was:

10 @7yds
10 @15yds
10 @25yds

2nd weekend was Baton, handcuffing review, State laws reviews (what you can and cannot do under the ACT), force continuum and testing and some other stuff as well.

It was pretty informative.

I currently work for an "amusement park" as an armed guard in the Lehigh Valley, but will be looking for other work come September due to the position being "seasonal". I like what I do and I am looking to continue in this field.

AG
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM

(Lehigh County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post

I currently work for an "amusement park" as an armed guard in the Lehigh Valley, but will be looking for other work come September due to the position being "seasonal". I like what I do and I am looking to continue in this field.

AG
I know where you work. I was surprised to see you guys carrying when we were there last weekend. But I guess if guards should be carrying anywhere, it's there. I assume you guys deal with a lot of b.s. from the downtown A-town crowd.