Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 30th, 2008
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Mity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mity2 Send a message via Yahoo to Mity2
Default Correctional officer

what kind of weapon do correctional officer use?
friend of mine is appling for job as CO at local jail(Cornell Prison in Phillipsburg - I think its called Moshannon Valley Correctional Facility), and she was wondering what kind of weapon they use.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 30th, 2008

(Susquehanna County)
Damage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond reputeDamage control has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Correctional officer

If I'm not mistaken I think block guards only use tear gas oc spray and black jacks.

DC
Old April 30th, 2008
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Mity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond reputeMity2 has a reputation beyond repute

hummm I don't know. She said if she get hired, she have to pass qualify or test or something rather...

now that I think about it, it would make sense that block guards would not be armed with gun wouldn't it?
Old April 30th, 2008

(Lycoming County)
s.vermeire has a spectacular aura abouts.vermeire has a spectacular aura abouts.vermeire has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
what kind of weapon do correctional officer use?
friend of mine is appling for job as CO at local jail(Cornell Prison in Phillipsburg - I think its called Moshannon Valley Correctional Facility), and she was wondering what kind of weapon they use.
For a state correction institute (SCI) you qualify with a .38 revolver and 12 ga shotgun as part of your initial training. I'm not sure who carries these or when. I would assume tower guards get the long guns and prisoner transports get the firearm, possibly in a chase vehicle.

I'm hoping to have to qualify in the next couple months....
I think the founding fathers meant exactly what they wrote: the government should not make any laws restricting the RIGHT of the people to 'hold or retain in one's possession' and 'hold or carry' guns and other weapons that would allow them to keep their government in line.
Old May 1st, 2008

(Washington County)
BenningBoy is just really niceBenningBoy is just really niceBenningBoy is just really niceBenningBoy is just really nice
Talking Re: Correctional officer

Pepper spray, for sure. Some facilities require officers to get sprayed in training. Beyond that, this is something your friend may really want to research. Qualifying with a weapon may not mean carrying it on a regular basis.
Old May 1st, 2008
Grand Member

(Adams County)
djturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond reputedjturnz has a reputation beyond repute

Adams County Prison:

Regular COs don't regularly carry anything.

Luitenant: has OC

Transport team carry issued Glocks

SRT (Special Response Team) When in full riot gear carry stun shields (I forget what the call them), OC, Pepperball guns and some have stun guns. No tasers though. They only employ shotguns during a riot or perimeter security if the power fails. They have a host of LTL 12G rounds as well, but firearms never go into the cell block.

Yes you must be sprayed with OC, and from what I hear it happens fairly regularly while on duty too.

You must put the stun gun to your own leg for qualification and each renewal of Qual too.

No I don't work there.
Old May 1st, 2008

Trigger is on a distinguished road

In Montgomery County outside gate and patrol carry Glock 19's, AR-15's and 870's. There are some mini 14's too. Other weapons are pepper spray and electronic stun devices.
Old May 1st, 2008

(Carbon County)
xd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond reputexd40_jim has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to xd40_jim

CO 1 Here from SCI Mahanoy, our officers inside the gate don't carry anything but a whistle and a radio. OC is in Control and only brought out for issues, and that is rare. Usually if someone refuses to come out of there cell. We all qualify with the 38 revolver and the 870 shotgun. Our tower officer has a 223, (i forget what type, think it may be a Savage, bolt action), our perimeter patrol, (guy who drives around the outside of the fence, 24/7) has the 12 gauge and the 38. We qualified with the stun gun, (shock to the leg) and the stun shield. OC and pepper spray also. CERT usually carried the pepperball gun. Just like a paintball gun, just a smaller caliber I think. Our transport team usually has a 38, OC, and a cell phone. No weapons are allowed inside the gate. Our response teams usually consist of a group of guys in the turtle suits, riot gear, and batons. Our weapons only go into the compound when the SHTF. Other than that not much inside.
Old May 2nd, 2008
Grand Member

(Centre County)

I met the guy who is CO at Rockview state prison at the range a while back.
And i think he said that he had to qualify with .38sp or .357mag, which I assume was six shooter.

my friend wanted to know, because I have guns she can shoot. I figure my S&W model 65 with service grip would be the best bet for her to use...
Old May 2nd, 2008
Banned

(Luzerne County)
CarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeCarolinaGuy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a buddy that just started a couple months ago. He said he qualified with a .38 and a Mossberg 12g. In the prison, they have no guns (baton/spray only or some such). The guys who drive the perimeter of the prison use the Mossbergs. He didn't know the tower setup, since he hasn't dealt with that.

So I don't know where the.38 fits into all that.

This is Luzerne Cty.