Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Cool Selling my personal guns at a gun show...

I was wondering if it is possible to sell my own guns to people at a gun show. More specifically at the upcoming York gun show next week.

If this is possible, I was also wondering what the process would be for selling long arms as well as "assault rifles" and pistols. I would imagine I would have to do an FFL for everything minus the long arms.

(Also if you are going to York next week and are from the Philadelphia area PLEASE shoot me a PM. I wouldn't mind letting some people know what I am looking to get rid of and what I am looking to pick up while I am there.)

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Selling my personal guns at a gun show...

Are you saying you have a fully automatic rifle (machine gun)for sale?
    Did you mean to say you have a semi-automatic rifle cambered in 7.62x 39 that bears an uncanny resemblance to an AK47.

Two totally different sales senarios

(Philadelphia County)

Yugoslavian M70AB2 (Semi Auto)

(Monroe County)

Unless you get a booth I don't know how that would work...

if you are looking for trade in you'll probably get screwed and if you are selling to the dealers... well you'll probably get screwed.

Post up what you've got in the classified around the web and you'll probably do a lot better then at a gun show. Don't forget Gun Broker also

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    if you are looking for trade in you'll probably get screwed and if you are selling to the dealers... well you'll probably get screwed.

Post up what you've got in the classified around the web and you'll probably do a lot better then at a gun show. Don't forget Gun Broker also
    Amen - very few dealers will pay more than 50% of what they think it is work.
    If you are not a licensed dealer,sales of long guns between two private individuals do not require the instant check/paperwork.At least that's my understanding.
    If you have a PA Cabela's near you,they will accept guns for resale on consignment.You give them your price and they add their fee.
    Last edited by manyplews; April 26th, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by manyplews View Post
    Amen - very few dealers will pay more than 50% of what they think it is work.
    If you are not a licensed dealer,sales of long guns between two private individuals do not require the instant check/paperwork.At least that's my understanding.
    If you have a PA Cabela's near you,they will accept guns for resale on consignment.You give them your price and they add their fee.
    yeah this is normally a pretty good move but if you price it for what you want it will rarely sell especially considering the number of new firearms they have there and their prices normally aren't that bad

(Philadelphia County)

I've seen people sell long guns outside the entrance to gun shows. While technically legal without a FFL, not sure about how the property owner feels about this.

(Westmoreland County)

yeah this is normally a pretty good move but if you price it for what you want it will rarely sell especially considering the number of new firearms they have there and their prices normally aren't that bad
    They list many guns on the internet link from their website:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rarchyId=10468

If somebody wants a gun listed in another state,they will ship to your local store for pickup.
    If you have decent guns and value them realistically,they will sell.
    New guns have gone up in price.
    If Hillary or Barack are elected,there are going to a lot of anti-gun bills moving in Congress. Remember the restrictions on hi-cap magazines and assault weapons that were enacted during Bubba Bill's administration ?
    If you want to buy guns or sell them for a decent price,it may be smart to do it now.
    Look at what Kalifornia has enacted recently!
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

(Lycoming County)

I've seen many people with firearms available for private transactions at gun shows. I think my dad has purchased a few guns that way too. Easiest way to let people know it is for sale is to take some light cardboard and a dowel rod to make a 'flag' out of and stick the dowel into the barrel while the gun is on your shoulder, hopefully with a sling. I'd list everything I have to offer on that flag.
    I think the founding fathers meant exactly what they wrote: the government should not make any laws restricting the RIGHT of the people to 'hold or retain in one's possession' and 'hold or carry' guns and other weapons that would allow them to keep their government in line.

(Philadelphia County)

Unless you get a booth I don't know how that would work...

For long guns, it would work, there's nothing against it. Like others have said, people walk around with for sale flags in their guns at gun shows all the time.

My brother bought a gun privately this way. And to the OP, you don't have an assault rifle, so no matter what it looks like, it will be fine to sell privately as long as it is a standard long gun.