Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millett LRS-1

Default Millett LRS-1

Well, today I just got in my Millett LRS-1 from Big River Tactical. I figured I'd say a little about the scope in case some people were curious about it. The first thing that I noticed about this rifle scope is that it is HUGE. I ain't talking about kind of big, I'm talking about HUGE. The main tube of this scope is 35mm, which is almost as big as some people's objectives lenses. It has a 56mm objective lense and comes with some flip up scope covers. I will say that they are not butler creek covers and don't really flip up on their own, but they stay up and they're better than some of the lense cover stuff that comes with some scopes. The finish of the scope is nice and I can't complain a bit about it. All of the dial turn really smoothly, but don't feel too loose, they're just perfect. The LRS-1 has the hashes to mark elevation (unlikes the TRS line) and has 1/4 moa clicks (the TRS has 1/8 moa clicks). The scope is very sharp. I haven't gotten to compare it side by side with other optics because I don't have any rifles handy right now. From a glance, it looks every bit as sharp as the Bushnell Elite 3200's, Weavers, and Nikon's that are around the same price. I will get back to ya'll more about that when I compare them side by side. It appears to gather alot of light, but I haven't gotten to look through it yet with the sun setting or set, so we'll test that soon as well. It does have what others have talked about, that when you move the knobs over, the hashes are slightly off to one side and settle back on the hash. The clicks are audible, but not too loud and felt very easily. I will take it out to the range sometime and tell ya'll how it tracks and if the reticle mils out properly. It has a half mil reticle where it has dots on the mils and hashes at the half mil. It is a 6x25 power variable scope, and has a marking at 12.5 power so that the markings are accurate to 1 mil there, or at 25x be accurate to 1/2 mil. Overall, it looks awesome. I'll have some pictures up soon to show ya'll the size. It really is HUGE. I know when others see this thing some people are gonna make fun of me, but after they see how long I'm gonna take this thing, I think they'll stop giving me so much hell.

Default Re: Millett LRS-1

I don't know that anybody cares for any photos since no one has commented on this thread but anyway, I figured I'd post up some photos of the new scope.

Came in a nice bag

Next to a medium size 2C battery mag light to give people an idea of the size.

1/4 moa knobs with hashes

Hashes on turrets, you can also see the locks and the side focus

Scope on 12x where the mil to hash is 1 mil

Here's the highest power 25x

The scope outside the box (does not show included rings, shade, accessory bag, cleaning cloth, allen wrenches, etc)

Sorry for this bad picture, but I wanted to give you an idea of the reticle. It's REALLY hard to get a picture through the scope without it mounted. You can sort of see the mil dots and the hashes in between.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; April 21st, 2008 at 03:27 AM.

(Cumberland County)

I was really curious about these scopes. please give us a range report when you get a chance to shoot it.

(Cumberland County)

Oh yeah, and I cant seem to figure out where these are made.

Howdy jbg23. I'll gladly give you a range report when I get it slapped on my new rifle that I'm building or if I put it on a different one before. All the guys on snipershide seem to like them pretty well, 2 of them are saying that in terms of ranging with the reticle, the reticle might be slightly off. The owner of Millet is on the forum also, and he is currently checking it out, but he said that preproduction they measured and everything was correct. I have not broken mine out with a yard stick yet but I will be doing that soon to see where the reticle is accurate at. I hear they all track nicely and so far haven't heard of any problems with one breaking. Some of the sellers tell me that as soon as a shipment is produced they go out the door. Mine came directly from Millet and was purchased through Big River Tactical. Donnie is a great guy and he will take good care of you if you're interested in one.

Oh and to answer your question, I have spoken directly with Millet, and these scopes are made with Japanese and Chinese parts, but they are assembled and tested here in the USA. That was what I was told directly by Millett anyway. I'll keep you posted and glad that at least someone noticed this thread and the photos and stuff weren't for nothing.

I am currently building a .300 WSM on a Remington 700 ADL action that is trued. The barrel is a 26" Krieger stainless steel, remington sendero contour, 1:10 twist, fluted barrel that'll have a recessed crown. The stock is coming from Richard's microfit and is a camouflage laminate prone style. The action will be completely bedded and the barrel free floated. It'll also have a tubbs firing pin and a reduced weight aluminum shroud to reduce lockup time and a shilen trigger that will be set around 2.5#'s. I'll have a harris bipod and quickcuff sling from triad or maybe a nice leather one from Les Tam. An interesting feature that I'm gonna put on the rifle is it's gonna have a anschultz free rail that is set in the foregrip of the stock, so that I can adjust how far forward the bipod or sling will be so that I can easily adjust the balance point of the rifle. I don't know that I'm gonna do it right away, but I'm trying to decide on what kind of knob I want on the rifle. I like the badger knobs, but sometimes think they're a little big, so I might turn one down a bit, or just go with someone else who makes a bit smaller tactical knob.

I plan for this to be a "tactical rifle" that will be good to go out to 1K yards, maybe more one of these days, lol. It's set up so that hopefully I'll be able to get a load with the 210 grain Bergers. I'm also gonna work up some loads with some 180 grain or so Nosler accubonds or ballistic tips, and maybe some 168 smk's. We'll just have to see what it likes.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; April 29th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Ok, I know some people have been asking some questions about this scope, so I figured that I'd do a little bit with it. It is NOT mounted on a rifle yet, that's what I was waiting on my base from midway, it got to me 2 weeks later than it was supposed to, but it finally got here. Anyway, I was sitting around today and figured that I'd try to take some "through the scope" pictures. If you've ever tried to do this, you know that it can be quite difficult, so please don't take these as a testimony to the optical clarity, it's MUCH better in person.

Ok, these photos were taken at my parent's house, who live directly across the street from a football field. I have not checked the accuracy of the reticle in terms of milling, so I won't judge distance with them until I have verified this. The car is roughly 230-240 yards from me. That is a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess), based on 120 yards of a football field (including the endzones) and the distance from my parent's front door to the end of the end zone, and about that same distance from the other end zone to this car; it should be pretty close. These are not technical photo, they're taken with a cheap point and shoot digital 6.1MP (I could do better with my SLR, but you'd have to wait for developing). They were shot on automatic, so it has no set white balance, shutter speed, apperture, etc. This is just something to kind of give you an idea of the scope. What you will notice is that they are VERY bright. These were taken at roughly 3:45-4:00 pm in the afternoon, but from indoors, so this could be considered semi lowlight conditions. They were shot WITH the sunshade on, AND through a tinted front door. If I didn't do both of those things, the photos were so washed out that you could hardly make anything out in the camera (with the eyes it was easy). They are also shot through 2 chainlink fences, hence why they're blurry sometimes or focused on the wrong thing. These aren't about the optical quality, but more to kind of give you an idea, and so you can see the reticle, the scope looks MUCH better in person. These pictures have not been adjusted in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. Shot in macro, and I got the parallax correct with my eyes, harder to tell on the camera. They have only been cropped and resized, and while they were being made smaller, a bicubic sharpener used. I was using an improvised rest, so they're slightly tilted; remember this isn't on a rifle yet.

I have compared this scope side by side with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x 40mm objective scope. I compared them about 30 minutes before sunset, and after the sun had set; until 30 minute after sunset. The entire time, even with the Millett on 25x and the Bushnell Elite at 24X, the Millett appeared to be about twice as bright as the Bushnell Elite. If you're familiar with Bushnell Elite scopes, this is quite an achievement; the Elite's are known to be VERY bright. At 25x, the Millett had a slight gray cast to it, but this did not affect optical quality. It's hard to tell about clarity because the scope wasn't mounted and it's hard to get a perfect focus and in relation to reticle focus.

6x, camera focused wrong and on the chainlink fence

12x this one washed out quite alot

12x, still a little washed out, but not as bad. You can see the wonderful contrast in the grays, blues, etc, whites are what washed out some. You can also see the sharp detail by the brown roof in the background (fences blur it some) and even some of the tread on the tires. It's much sharper with the eye, but you can still see some here.

12x again, this time the flash went off and actually evened up the exposure in the picture. You can see some of the optical quality here and can see details closer to how they appear with the eye (still not nearly as good).

25x, this is NOT a good representation of the optical quality of this scope, it's MUCH better. The graying in this photo is also exaggerated, it's not as much as what appears here. At 25x, the exit pupil is quite small, so it's very difficult to take a picture without crescents in the sides. Even so, some of the optical quality is still displayed in this photo. You can see the lines between the cinder blocks, clearly read the license plate, easily see the treat on the tires. There is some mirage present in this image, if you're looking at the grass and where it meets the concrete, it's pretty visible, it was blowing left to right.

Realize that these are not up to par with what the scope looks like. Many times the rifle scope has better lenses than most of the point and shoot cameras, so they aren't able to capture the optical clarity of the scopes. Also realize that the imperfections in the glass in the front door, and 2 chain link fences also make these images appear washed out, grayed and blurry. this is just to give you an idea of what to expect, and what the reticle looks like. Tell me what you think.

(Lawrence County)

I have to spread the love.......but dizzang!

What's the damage for that scope?

Lycaninthemarketthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

If you go to Big River Tactical, he's got them for $439.99 plus shipping, which is a bit cheaper than alot of places that I know carry them. He does great business, fast shipping, great contact. So for the money, not too much damage, lol. http://www.bigrivertactical.com/cata...80/5396194.htm . Problem is that they're out of stock. I don't know how easily you'll find them since Millett just got bought up by Bushnell. I know they were moving the operations, so I'm not sure if they've actually started even producing some more. So the problem might be finding some that are in stock.

Is that a first or a second focal plane 'scope?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast