Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Sign the petition! No mortgage bailout.

Hi Everyone,

You probably all know someone who bought more house than he/she can afford and is now, in some manner,paying the price. Please help stop congress from bailing out those who were more concerned with impressing their friends and family than managing their finances responsibly. Let's prevent bailout for the greedy who need to learn a hard lesson.

Sign here: http://www.petitiononline.com/bailout/petition.html

(York County)

Default Re: Sign the petition! No mortgage bailout.

saw this on the heritage foundation morning bell blog this morning...it relates to your post:

The Pew Charitable Trusts released a study yesterday surveying state action on the recent wave of increased foreclosures. Pew senior officer Tobi Walker told the Washington Post: “The states are experiencing this pain more directly than the federal government is.” This is partly true. A more accurate statement would be some states are feeling the pain more directly than the federal government is. As this map of Mortgage Bankers Associaiton data shows, subprime foreclosure rates exceed 10% in only 13 states, including California, Nevada, Florida, Ohio and Michigan.

The Post goes on to report that “in some ways, states and cities are better positioned to tackle the fallout than the federal government.” This is undoubtedly true. The subprime foreclosures in Nevada, California and Florida are largely due to a speculative bubble that has just popped, while foreclosures in Ohio and Michigan are the result of more fundamental weaknesses in those state economies. The different causes behind these problems call for local solutions, not one-size-fits-all federal action.

For example, the New York Times reports that efforts by Ohio to work with nonprofits and loan servicers to modify troubled loans have led to results “visible on the ground.” Coalition on Homelessness and Housing in Ohio executive director Bill Faith told the Times: “Up through the end of 2007, counselors and homeowners said, ‘We call these companies and we get the runaround, we can’t get through the maze.’ We weren’t seeing any significant modifications. That’s beginning to change. When I talk to the nonprofits, they say they’ve had as many loan modifications in the first quarter of 2008 as in all of 2007.”

Despite the success of voluntary programs at both the state and federal level, enough momentum still exists on Capitol Hill for new federal legislation. For principled conservatives, the best way to protect the American taxpayer now is to push for amendments that will limit the risk that this latest federal bailout will not encourage future risky behavior. Ways to improve the current housing package winding its way through Congress include:
    1. Any losses to the taxpayer from a refinanced loan cannot be forgiven in bankruptcy. This is a strong and necessary incentive to ensure borrowers do not walk away from FHA-insured refinanced loans.
    2. All refinanced loans must require some down payment by the homeowner. The loans currently defaulting at the highest rates are those that had no down payment. The FHA should not be taking on these risky borrowers at a time when the agency is already on the brink of insolvency.
    3. No mortgage where the borrower made a material misstatement on the application should be eligible for refinancing. As much as 70% of recent early payment defaults had fraudulent misrepresentations on their original loan applications, according to one recent study. The federal government must not be in the business of abetting fraud.
    4. No 100% federal guarantees. This both ensures that mortgage owners are honest about the quality of the loans and keeps lenders from escaping all liability.
    5. Houses with second mortgages will not be eligible for refinancing. Refinancing should not be available to borrowers who have acted irresponsibly and gotten into trouble as a result.
    6. Limit FHA refinancing to principal residence only. Any federally insured mortgage should only be available for homes that the owner actually lives in for all or most of the year. Under no circumstances should refinancing assistance be available to vacation homes or investment property.
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

If you read http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...pStories_ssi_5 you will notice that you HAVE to live in the home to get a bailout, it mainly only concerns people who have a variable rate. So people who had a fair credit like myself who where able to get a fixed rate and are now in trouble because the price of every thing just went through the sky (all except my salary of course) are not affected by this.

People who have multiple homes are SOL. People who bought a home with a variable rate knowing it was probably going up because it was way down a few years ago, just need to take a pill and enjoy the ride, they where saving money then, and now its time to pay.

My question here is why is the Govt. not giving the home owner who is now stuck with higher paiments because every thing went up and the mortgage company is now claiming they need more money to cover the Escrow costs. My taxes have not gone up, but hey the Escrow people say I should be paying $165 per month more now because every thing has gone up!

Great way for a mortgage company to raise your "Fixed" loan and possibly make you lose your home.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by miles512 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

You probably all know someone who bought more house than he/she can afford and is now, in some manner,paying the price. Please help stop congress from bailing out those who were more concerned with impressing their friends and family than managing their finances responsibly. Let's prevent bailout for the greedy who need to learn a hard lesson.

Sign here: http://www.petitiononline.com/bailout/petition.html
    Signed. Thanks for posting this. I am not happy about being asked to pay for this.