Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old December 30th, 2006, 09:30 PM

(Cumberland County)
SevenStringer is on a distinguished road
Smile Ammo for an M1 Garand

Good evening, guys!

I've been contemplating the purchase of an M1 Garand lately and I was wondering what would be the best choice for ammunition. I've been told that commercial .30-06 (Federal, Winchester, et al) is too hot for a Garand and would cause accelerated barrel-wear. Is there any mil-surp .30-06 to be had, at least any apart from the corrosive South Korean stuff I've seen on Sportsmansguide and the like? What do the Garand owners here use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 30th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
phillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ammo for an M1 Garand

This one is a no brainer

http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:44 PM

(Centre County)
Agent Ronin is just really niceAgent Ronin is just really niceAgent Ronin is just really niceAgent Ronin is just really niceAgent Ronin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
This one is a no brainer

http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm
I was going to buy a big lot of that stuff myself as i figured it out to be about 5 cents cheaper per round then buying the components separately.

However, you need to meet rifle elegibility for the CMP in order to buy ammo. Any easy club i can join to meet that criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:23 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
phillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
I was going to buy a big lot of that stuff myself as i figured it out to be about 5 cents cheaper per round then buying the components separately.

However, you need to meet rifle elegibility for the CMP in order to buy ammo. Any easy club i can join to meet that criteria?
Check the site, are you sure you need to meet rifle elegibility to buy ammo? I don't think so but if so, sign up with www.thegca.org for $ 25 per year.
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Grand Member

PA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenStringer View Post
...what would be the best choice for [M1 rifle] ammunition. ...What do the Garand owners here use?
Corrosive ammunition doesn't have cooties, sevenstringer. It *does* mean you need to be judicious about cleaning, though.

Classic Arms has Korean M2 ball here, scroll down near the bottom. J & G has some, too.

The Korean stuff isn't bad, read this range report that describes it lot by lot. There are numerous reports (example) the Garand-packed ammo *is* corrosive, the non-garand clip packed ammo isn't corrosive.

If the corrosive issue really bothers you, pull the bullet & powder out of a round, fire the primed case at close range into a sheet of bare (unpainted, unprotected) steel and check the steel about every other day. If both sides are oxidizing about the same (if at all), it's probably non-corrosive. If you see aggressive corrosion forming in a circular dot where you fired, its' corrosive (more).

I've used corrosive-primed ComBloc ammunition since the 70s, it hasn't ruined a barrel yet. I do need to wash with a soapy solution along with bore cleaner, and keep an eye on the bore for a week or so after a trip to the range, but that's about it.
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:10 AM

(Centre County)
Agent Ronin is just really niceAgent Ronin is just really niceAgent Ronin is just really niceAgent Ronin is just really niceAgent Ronin is just really nice

Quote:
Check the site, are you sure you need to meet rifle elegibility to buy ammo? I don't think so but if so, sign up with www.thegca.org for $ 25 per year.
Ok heres a little more info on this taken from the CMP E-Store.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/compa...gisterbenefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP E-Store
Please note that some items require that a customer must first provide to the CMP proof of age, US citizenship, and membership in a CMP affiliated organization. These items include : all military surplus items, all ammunition, and special sale items that are offered to our membership only because of discounted prices or very small available quantity.

PS: Thanks for pointing out the Garand Collectors Association, i might as well join as i want to get another M1 for a project/range beater as i am fairly meticulous about my Normandy Edition M1.

Quote:
Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Last edited by Agent Ronin; December 31st, 2006 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:09 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)

Consider me corrected, thanks. FYI, I purchased cases of both the Greek & LC and they all go boom. The Greek comes in 8 round clips in bandoleers like God intended and the LC in 20 rounds per box. Some have had problems with the LC ammo fitting the Greek clips but I have not gotten that far yet.

Order a few cases, the FedEx guy will hate you, I know mine does

Joining GAC is worth the magazine alone if you are interested in M1's and dont forget, CMP M1 Carbines in 2007 !!!!
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:21 AM

(Centre County)

Quote:
Order a few cases, the FedEx guy will hate you, I know mine does
Hehe, i know my UPS guy hates me with a passion, last month i averaged about 2 packages a week. And then i ordered some KA73 ammo (for components) with a 50lb bag of corn cob media lol.

Quote:
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Grand Member

(Lebanon County)
brian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenStringer View Post
What do the Garand owners here use?

the south korean stuff, both the KA(korrosive ammo) and the PS stuff.
just ordered 500 more rds of KA this morning.

these rifles have already seen plenty of corrosive ammo, alittle more can't hurt it....with propper clean up.

Last edited by brian; January 1st, 2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old January 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM

(York County)
Coop is on a distinguished road

Milsurp, a lot, but I shy away from the corrosive KA stuff if I can help it. Mine's consumed copious quantities of Lake City and the Puson Korean stuff.

If I've gotta use commercial ammo, I've found the 150 gr. Remington UMC --yellow box-- works best, followed by Federal American Eagle. Winchester White --the 147 gr.-- is total garbage; I refuse to use it at all.

Best,

--Coop