Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM

RedDot is on a distinguished road
Default Laws on gifting a hand gun in NJ

My son lives in PA and I live in NJ.
He wants to give me a handgun as a gift. Does anyone know the proper procedure to transfer the gifted pistol?
I have a NJ FID card and also have a pistol permit but I donít want to waste it on a gift transfer.

Thanks
RD

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Banned

(Montgomery County)
whoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laws on gifting a hand gun in NJ

I think if he gives it to you in PA no transfer is needed. If he does it in NJ you're going to probably have a ton of paperwork. I do wonder if the law works son to dad though. I know it works dad to son without transfer.. Someone out there will post the law soon.
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Grand Member

(Montgomery County)
1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute1blindref has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question.
Looking forward to seeing what the answer is.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Moderator Emeritus

(Luzerne County)
Pa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond reputePa. Patriot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pa. Patriot

Interstate handgun transfers are required by FED law to go to an FFL in the recipient's state. There are no 'family gift' exemptions as in the PA law.
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Thank you for the info.
I'll have to use my permit...
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM

(Monroe County)
Ed111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond reputeEd111PA has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds much easier to just get a gift card, no?
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed111PA View Post
Sounds much easier to just get a gift card, no?
Not in this case.
The pistol was part of a group of guns he bought...
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM

(Chester County)
netw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond reputenetw0rkpenguin has a reputation beyond repute

To legally obtain a pistol you'll need to use one of your 2 pistol purchase permits and then grovel to the towns cheif of police for more. sorry