Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: PA public school teacher salaries available online

"How did teacher's loose their authority? Did they abdicate? or was it the lawyers? the unions? Kick the disruptions out of school. Public school does not need to be the school of last resort. Send the troublemakers to Camp Hill, PA juvie center or Kids Peace."

The biggest problem for teachers can be summed up in four letters:

A.C.L.U.

They distribute literature telling the students that they have more rights than the teacher! It's not easy kicking them out anymore.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: PA public school teacher salaries available online

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    line removed
    My wife is a teacher. She works all year long. She doesn't get the summer off like everyone thinks. On top of that, she is doing some of the jobs that parents should be doing. For example, the first time she told me that she has to spend time teaching students proper etiquette for a public bathroom, my jaw about hit the floor. I asked her "shouldn't the parents be teaching them this?".

This was the content of an e-mail I received a while ago.

AREN'T YOU ALL SICK OF THOSE HIGH PAID TEACHERS??

Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or
    ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them
    for what they do... baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum
    wage. That is right. I would give them $3.00 dollars an hour and only
    the hours they worked, not any of that silly planning time.

That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 AM to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for
    lunch). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to
    baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day... maybe
    30? So that's 19.5 X 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only
    work 180 days a year! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
    Let's see . . .. that's $585 x 180 = $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My
    calculator must need batteries!)

What about those special teachers and the ones with master's degrees?
    Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair, round it off to
    $7.00 an hour. That would be $7 times 6-1/2 hours times 30 children
    times 180 days = $245,700.00 per year. Wait a minute, there is something
    wrong here!
    Schnoz, you seem to want to make this personal. I'm glad PApatriot removed your first line because it was an unwarranted personal attack. First of all I never said teachers are overpaid, I said I see making 65k for 9 months work as pretty good money, not something to strike over. The union is what I was questioning. I wrote down the names of all my buddies that are teachers, there are 5 current, 1 that retired last year, and 2 of their wives are teachers also so that's 8. Three of them I went to school with. All of them teach within 50 miles of me in W.PA.

I don't know what or where your wife teaches but these guys are off all summer with the exception of my wifes cousin who teaches summer school to make a few extra bucks. One guy has a nice garage and restores wrecked cars during the summer, no teaching. Two of my other buddies have a construction business that they run in the summer, no teaching. My 3rd buddy works part time for a roofer during the summer, again no teaching.

Do they bring work home? Sure they do, just like almost everyone else who doesn't have a retail or factory job and works in corporate America. I bring home my laptop to finish reports almost every night, beats staying at the office for an extra couple hours. That's just how it's done in the 21st century and I doubt it's going to change any time soon.

Anywho, maybe you need to re-read my post, nothing in there slamming teachers. Some of my best friends are teachers and I want nothing but the best when it comes to teaching my children. My problem is with the union, PA has some of the best paid teachers in the country but according to the OP, of the 137 strikes in the last 5 years and 82 of them were in PA, why? That was my question.

On a side note, having so many friends that became teachers is why I have a hard time believing what a lot of people say about teachers cramming liberal ideals down our childrens throats. Maybe it's different in College but the 3 guys I went to school with are all big outdoorsmen and the other 3 are not the least bit anti. Don't really know for sure about the wives but since they're married to hunters I would suppose they are ok with it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345