Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM

(Indiana County)
rugbystar67 is on a distinguished road
Default PT 1911 safety problem

I have had this gun for about 2 months and put 250 rounds through it without any problems so far. Last night I was changing the grips on it as I got some wood grips off ebay for it. When I was putting on the right side grip and tightening the screws the left hand thumb safety had fallen out of teh gun and the plunger part had flown across the room. I have no idea why the safety fell out and I know that it definitely shouldnt have. Why would this fall out of the gun and is this a serious problem? I have put the safety back in and it seems to function right but I dont understand why it fell out to begin with. That just doesnt seem safe. Is there something wrong with the safety or was this just a random mishap? Thanks in advance and I have been reading this forum for about 2 months now and love the info and knowlege I have gainded. Thank you everyone!

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Grand Member

(Chester County)
synergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PT 1911 safety problem

By "left hand safety" do you mean the safety on the left hand side of the gun as a shooter would be holding it...or do you mean the safety a left handed shooter would use (right side of the gun)?
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM

(Indiana County)
rugbystar67 is on a distinguished road

The safety on the left as the shooter would be holding it.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Grand Member

(Chester County)
synergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond reputesynergy has a reputation beyond repute

Send it back, or have a qualified gunsmith who works on 1911's look at it for you.

You should have to work that part off the gun....if it fell out on its own...I wouldn't trust the gun.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

That would be that "custom" gunsmithing that Taurus advertises in the gun rags. This is the second taurus 1911 on PAFOA to have this problem...and one that had a slide release lever break.

Not time to hit the panic button....but something to keep an eye on for others.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

(Lawrence County)
Lycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it wasn't in the slot and may have just popped out when he was taking the grips off.........

Send to a gunsmith? Geeze guys.....

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Grand Member

(Chester County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
Sounds like it wasn't in the slot and may have just popped out when he was taking the grips off.........

Send to a gunsmith? Geeze guys.....
I've yet to see a thumb safety fall out of a gun without force being applied to the pin....especially when the gun is together.

How is it that you think it can fall out so easily? I know the Taurus is ambi...but haven't taken theirs apart...

You think this is normal for a brand new gun? Just curious....
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM

(Monroe County)
Warners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond reputeWarners Surplus has a reputation beyond repute

Like I tell the customers in my shop Taurus makes a GOOD 1911 for the price! After you buy one, replace the Hammer,The thumb safety and the slide release and then you have a GREAT 1911 that will out live YOU.

Old style ambi safety,small lever goes under the right grip panel. If the groove in the grip is too shallow or not cut for an ambi then the grip can push in on the safety which pushes out on the left side just enough for the safety detent to go BLING across the room. Change it out to a PINNED ambi safety and problem solved.

JMHO and I don't have one in front of me but thats my memory from 4 days ago

Rich W.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

(Lawrence County)
Lycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond reputeLycanthrope has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm saying he took the grips off and may have been tooling with it and may not have had it together right......when you tighten up the weak hand side grip it would pop out the other side if it wasn't seated.

And......FOR GOODNESS SAKE.....if the fork was loose.....take the safety out and pinch it with some pliers...instead of paying a smith to do the same thing.

The Taurus is the same style as the normal 1911....I've taken more than a couple apart.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

(Lawrence County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
Like I tell the customers in my shop Taurus makes a GOOD 1911 for the price! After you buy one, replace the Hammer,The thumb safety and the slide release and then you have a GREAT 1911 that will out live YOU.
The hammer looks like hell, but I've seen more than a couple that would hold at 3lbs. The angles are pretty decent.