Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: PT 1911 safety problem

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Wow, people loving guns with safeties falling off of them... no wonder they don't implement better QC standards.
    Well, let's see. The safety came off when I had the gun apart.
    Had nothing to do with operation of the gun. It took a total of 45 seconds to fix it. Guess I should have done that before I shot it.
    I was shooting an STI Eagle 5.0 for a while at competitions that I borrowed from a fellow shooter. Knowing that I couldn't shell out the $1500.00 + for the STI I opted for the PT1911. This gun shoots every bit as well for me as the STI.
    For the $465 that I paid for the gun and the few minutes to fix a minor imperfection I'll repeat.
    I LOVE THIS GUN!
    Last edited by vanlagan; August 13th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.

(York County)

It kills me that every time someone post's a problem about there PT-1911 and is really looking for an answer someone has to come along and shit all over this gun! I bought a brand new stainless PT-1911 and yes I had a problem right out of the box (Trigger was not resetting) and being that this is my first 1911 handgun I was a little uptight thinking I was going to have to send the gun back and wait forever to have it returned. Instead I did a little research and found that the trigger bow was snagging on the magazine and after doing a little more research I found that this can be a common problem across the board with all 1911's. I shit canned the Taurus mags and bought Wilson mags and the problem was solved! I even read where some people bought new Kimber's, Para's, etc. and the first thing they did was take out the trigger and file rough spots off of the trigger bow and the trigger raceways.

Yes Taurus has had some problems with the safety, mainly the right side ambi not working properly. OK so this is a 1911 right? and there are after market 1911 parts right? Good parts right? Order a new safety and learn how to put it in or take it to a gunsmith and let them do it, either way you are still way ahead of the game! The gun costs under $700.00 and despite all the negative shit that everyone has to say, this is a GOOD 1911!

Even the 1911 so called guru's out there will tell you that the 1911 style handguns can be a little cantankerous. Most people buy this style of handgun for a lot of different reasons but mostly because they are fun to shoot and parts are available everywhere and if you take your time and read some books there's a good chance the owner can fix most of the issues.

I have put close to a 1000 rounds through this gun (good ammo and shitty ammo) and so far I have not had one jam, not one failure to feed or eject and it's dead accurate right out of the box, what the hell else can you ask for? The PT-1911 has been out now for a few years and there are tons of reviews that have been written by just about every magazine and needless to say the internet is full of reviews also. Taurus is selling the hell out these guns so I think if someone out there is really thinking about buying one, read some reviews and talk with some people who own them and my guess is you will probably own one too.

One more little tidbit - If you are planning on buying a PT-1911 and you have the mindset like the attached post below, (Spending good money to have the Taurus logo removed) I think choosing a gun is the least of yur problems but if you must have one then save your money and buy a $2000.00 1911 that way you can be more relaxed at the shooting range.

Originally Posted by Jai9100 View Post
    Hi everyone, I've owned my PT1911 from Taurus for about a year now (my only regret is I bought the blued, and not the stainless) and I couldn't care less for the ambi safety. My right side hasn't broke yet, and I know I can simply remove that side, which is what I'm comtemplating doing.

Has anybody used their PT1911 for an extended period with the right side safety removed? I'm most worried about getting gunk infiltrating the gun from the hole where I simply removed the safety. I'd say a little bit of duct tape would make a good temporary blockoff till I can get a new safety conversion, but the huge Taurus logo on the side has used up my ugly allowance. jk jk, I kid cause I love.

You can black out the Taurus Logo with a cold blue kit pretty easy, my pics in the "Show your Taurus" thread that is at the top of the forum will show what it looks like. Looks cool all in black like that I think.

On to the safety:

DO NOT USE A "HALF-A-SAFETY" IN YOUR GUN. Just buy a new single side unit and replace it.
    Last edited by Steeltown; November 25th, 2008 at 01:58 AM.

(Chester County)

There are people who buy guns, people who shoot guns, and people who use guns...and use them hard.

Strangely enough Taurus doesn't find their way into the hands of those who use them hard...I wonder why?

Those who have run guns hard know what quality Taurus delivers. Those who don't know will soon learn, if they try using a Taurus that way.

1911's are fussy...no matter what brand it says on the slide. Buying a gun you know you need to swap parts on is foolish, especially when you can get a better gun with better parts for about $100 more (SA), or less (RIA).

It's a free market, buy what you want.

(York County)

There are people who buy guns, people who shoot guns, and people who use guns...and use them hard.

You got a good point and I put the PT-1911 in the category of people who shoot guns. Even though the PT-1911 has been tested hard as it was in the 'Try to destroy' video on YouTube, (these are the same people who put the Kimber, Colt's, etc. through the same test and yes the PT-1911 held up just fine) I don't think it's the gun for people who use a gun for their profession or competition.

Every review I have read in the gun mags are for the most part positive and if Taurus is paying them good money to post good reviews well then maybe they all do that, I really hope that's not the case but hell it's possible. Do I think the PT-1911 is as good as Colt or Ed Brown or even a 1911 that Cylinder & Slide can produce? NO. I think these companies do pay a lot more attention to detail and for that you pay what you do. But I still believe that the PT-1911 is a good gun for the money and yes buying a cheap gun just to replace it with good parts is absurd. My point is if parts for a 1911 malfunction good parts are available everywhere.

I mentioned in another post on this same forum when I was having issues with my gun that I would be the first to post negative reviews if this gun flat out is nothing but problems and so far I have had good success with the gun. Time will tell. I often wonder what would happen if Colt, Ed Brown, etc. produced a $500.00 1911, something tells me a whole bunch of negative press would soon show up.

I do agree with you that people are free to buy what they want and believe me I don't knock the people out there spending thousands of dollars on a 1911. I would love to own a Colt or Ed Brown if I had an unlimited spending account, but for now I do enjoy shooting the PT-1911 and I hope it holds up as good as it has so far.
    Last edited by Steeltown; November 25th, 2008 at 03:31 AM.

(Chester County)

you might want to rethink that colt bit too id rather have a taurus 1911 than a recent series 80 colt.. and i really dont want a taurus either heh

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post

You got a good point and I put the PT-1911 in the category of people who shoot guns. Even though the PT-1911 has been tested hard as it was in the 'Try to destroy' video on YouTube, (these are the same people who put the Kimber, Colt's, etc. through the same test and yes the PT-1911 held up just fine) I don't think it's the gun for people who use a gun for their profession or competition.
    If I can't trust it to run a match for me, I won't trust it on my side. The internal lock on the Taurus is a POS, I've seen too many of them self engage.
    Every review I have read in the gun mags are for the most part positive and if Taurus is paying them good money to post good reviews well then maybe they all do that, I really hope that's not the case but hell it's possible. Do I think the PT-1911 is as good as Colt or Ed Brown or even a 1911 that Cylinder & Slide can produce? NO. I think these companies do pay a lot more attention to detail and for that you pay what you do. But I still believe that the PT-1911 is a good gun for the money and yes buying a cheap gun just to replace it with good parts is absurd. My point is if parts for a 1911 malfunction good parts are available everywhere.
    Well, honestly, I think about 99% of the "gun reviews" in magazines today are not worth the paper they're printed on. They're nothing but a repackaged webpage/ add. Guns are never run hard, we never see what guns NOT to buy, accuracy tests are never performed side by side with competiting models nor with multiple shooters. IMO, most "gun reviews" are nothing more than the authors orally servicing the company in question.
    I mentioned in another post on this same forum when I was having issues with my gun that I would be the first to post negative reviews if this gun flat out is nothing but problems and so far I have had good success with the gun. Time will tell. I often wonder what would happen if Colt, Ed Brown, etc. produced a $500.00 1911, something tells me a whole bunch of negative press would soon show up.
    Well, you would either see their quality take a nose-dive, or they'd go bankrupt in a matter of weeks.
    I do agree with you that people are free to buy what they want and believe me I don't knock the people out there spending thousands of dollars on a 1911. I would love to own a Colt or Ed Brown if I had an unlimited spending account, but for now I do enjoy shooting the PT-1911 and I hope it holds up as good as it has so far.
    Fair enough. I hope it holds up well for you to....no one here wants a fellow gun owner to get skunked on a purchase. Unfortunatly, my experience has shown that with this particular brand, getting skunked is very likely.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    you might want to rethink that colt bit too id rather have a taurus 1911 than a recent series 80 colt.. and i really dont want a taurus either heh
    Care to elaborate? I've not seen the Colt 80's series to be problem childs...

(York County)

You may be very correct on the new Colt. I was only researching guns that were in my price range.

(Westmoreland County)

I dunno, I hear about the Taurus safety problem and the internal lock problem every now and then, but I still hear a ton of other problems with other brands of 1911's as well. Here's one going on right now with a Springfield Custom!

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/39...ract-help.html

A gun is a machine and any machine can and will have problems. IMHO, the PT1911 is building an impressive track record and the expensive 1911 guys don't like it one bit! LOL
    Last edited by RocketFoot; November 25th, 2008 at 12:08 PM.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(York County)

Smile Re: PT 1911 safety problem

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    If I can't trust it to run a match for me, I won't trust it on my side. The internal lock on the Taurus is a POS, I've seen too many of them self engage.
    Well, honestly, I think about 99% of the "gun reviews" in magazines today are not worth the paper they're printed on. They're nothing but a repackaged webpage/ add. Guns are never run hard, we never see what guns NOT to buy, accuracy tests are never performed side by side with competiting models nor with multiple shooters. IMO, most "gun reviews" are nothing more than the authors orally servicing the company in question.
    Well, you would either see their quality take a nose-dive, or they'd go bankrupt in a matter of weeks.

Fair enough. I hope it holds up well for you to....no one here wants a fellow gun owner to get skunked on a purchase. Unfortunatly, my experience has shown that with this particular brand, getting skunked is very likely.
    I can agree with all that! By what I'm reading it appears you shoot guns on a serious level. If you don't mind me asking what type of shooting do you do and what type of guns do you shoot? I wouldn't mind getting some ideas for a possible future purchase. I own 3 handguns but I am always looking.

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast