Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default What caliber rifle should I get?

Next year will be my first year hunting. I live in Adams county and will probably be hunting in this area. I have some extra money now (well soon) and I want to get my rifle now. That way I have the rest of next year to get a good scope (I have a couple cheap scopes to use now to get used to the gun and get it broken in).

I want to get the Stevens Model 200. At first I thought .243, but then I was thinking, they make the .308 in the same short action. Is there any downside to using a 308 vs a 243 or 270?

I would be thinking this as a deer rifle, mostly because I can't think of another game animal that I would be hunting with a rifle. Other than helping my friend dispatch groudhogs from his families farm, but I have no intention to eat those.

Do any of the hunters here have any thoughts on this?

Also, $279 is the usual price I see for these. I have heard that sometimes BassPro and others put them on sale right around Xmas. Has anyone seen these on sale for a better price?

(Bedford County)

Default Re: What caliber rifle should I get?

Price sounds good tho - do not know that rifle from any personal experience. Consider too tho a Savage as excellent value - the 110 IIRC.

Anyways - the cal aspect. There will always be mixed opinion naturally but I really think you can consider all three you mention. For 100 yd hunting of 120# critters like deer - .243 is plenty adequate tho in fact some consider the 25 - 06 is better down at the 6-7mm level category. The .243 is a necked-down .308, pushing usually a 85 grainer tho you can get 95 or 100 in factory loadings.

Perhaps tho the .270 is a tad better and a good compromize - and will do the job well.

I have always stayed with .308 - easy round to get or load - and good ballistics. Probably more than is needed for deer sizes but with right bullet choice and placement - IMO near ideal.

Really tho you won't go wrong with any you mention IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

CombatCarry.com CCW forum

(Adams County)

Thanks. The Stevens 200 is the same as a Savage 110 (or 10 depending on action length) except no Accutrigger and a gray synthetic stock instead of black.

Other than accutrigger, all parts are 100% interchangeable (or so I have read).

(Centre County)

You cant go wrong with a 30-06 Springfield, its a good performer with a wide range of loads. And isnt as expensive of some of the other more exotic cartidges. And if you ever get into reloading, 30-06's can be loaded to accept a 110gn to 220gn bullets easily. Although you wouldnt really need the heavy bullets unless you're hunting big game (elk, caribou, bear).

Anyway just my .02$ as i love the 30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Berks County)

OK, here is my two cents. It all depends on what kind of hunting you are going to end up doing. If you intend to do no more than local whitetail hunting you can easily go with .243. If you have the potential to take longer shots, more than 100 - 150 yards, or will be hunting larger game go with the .270 or .308. They are both very flat shooting rounds that could be used for Pronghorns, Whitetails or Mulies out on the plains. If the potential exists that you could be hunting elk at some point, your nominal round should be the .308. All of the rounds that you are interested in are fine rounds and all have taken their fair share of game, it is just a matter of using the right tool for the job at hand.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Adams County)

Ok, well I have decided to get the .308. Though sometimes, (I've heard) certain stores will put the model I want on sale but only certain calibers, so if it comes down to sale price, hopefully 308 or 270 will be on sale.

(Berks County)

Good luck with it. I've always been partial to the .308 myself but when making recommendations I try to keep my personal likes and dislikes out of the picture.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Adams County)

Well I fooled you all!

Actually I got a really good deal on the 30.06 so I got that. I tried to order the 308 but Dick's stopped carrying the Stevens (Bass Pro too). So he marked the 30.06 down to $249 and I bought it.

Thanks for the help.

(Clearfield County)

For my money if I wanted to hunt deer and groundhogs , I would go with a 243 or 6mm if you can find one. Dont let anyone tell you that a 243 wont kill deer at 300+ yards , They will , have done so myself . the 308 is good also , but not as good for varmits. I used my 243 for deer "85 gr Hps" varmits with same load and also turkey with 75 grain solids. Great all around caliber for Pa. if you handload you can really make them sing.

(Allegheny County)

I love my .243 for groundhogs.
    I love my 30-06 for everything.
    You can get ammo for the 30-06 just about everywhere. I think you did well.

btw I am not saying that .243 is not good for deer that is why I originally got mine even though I never have shot a deer with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast