Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Durandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shooting schools in PA?

Greetings all.

I recently purchasd a Beretta Onyx Pro and was interested in taking some formal classes on trap/sporting clays shooting as a means of improving my pheasant hunting skills. I don't seem to find any listings for PA. I found a couple of places that will do individual instruction (LVSC & Wing Pointe), but that's not what I'm looking for.

Is there anyone in PA or a nearby state that does a soup-to-nuts class on clays shooting?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 24th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Gold Supporters
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Chester County)
PisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond reputePisnNapalm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shooting schools in PA?

The range I belong to, the Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club, has trap clinics every wednesday evening from May-September. It is for range members only. I'm sure there are gun clubs closer to you that offer the same kind of thing.
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Durandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond reputeDurandal has a reputation beyond repute

I joined Fleetwood Fish and Game late last year. They do a monthly trap shoot, but don't put on any clinics or classes, at least none that I have seen posted. I wanted some instruction before taking part in the shoots and possibly looking dumber than I am already .

It's shame these clubs don't do public classes. It would be a great way to boost membership and get more people interested in clays.
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Armstrong County)
Big Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond repute

I you were not so far away I'd be glad to spend a couple hours with you....... that goes for anyone on the forum. I'll do the first one free!

NSSA certified shotgun sports shooting instructor.

It's all about gun fit.

Maybe .............. Setup a clinic of 5 people and cover travel expenses, we might be able to work something out!

Last edited by Big Dog; February 24th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the offer. I would certainly consider it. You're about a four hour drive away, which is not a big deal to me. I'd be willing to do it over a weekend. How do you normally schedule instruction time?
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Armstrong County)
Big Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond reputeBig Dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
Thanks for the offer. I would certainly consider it. You're about a four hour drive away, which is not a big deal to me. I'd be willing to do it over a weekend. How do you normally schedule instruction time?
Weekends work ............ PM sent!
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Berks County)
tbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond reputetbmatthews82 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one that read the title to this thread a different way? I thought you wanted advice on shooting up schools... glad you didn't.
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM

(Delaware County)
Jay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond reputeJay2125 has a reputation beyond repute

I know the West Chester gun club has a guy that comes and has a three day class on Trap shooting he is one of only a handful of people that has shot 300 straight at the grand in Ohio 100 16yard 100 handicap and 100 doubles. Not to sure how far away you are but I would look into it I used to work there when I was 17 and I pulled for his class so it was like I got a free class myself and it was really informative.
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
Hawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeHawk has a reputation beyond repute

Instruction is one thing, yes you'll get the basics and more information than you can remember or adapt to. And you may not like what you learn because when it comes to certain clay shooting sports the methods and philosophies are different than the field use of a shotgun. Once you get the basics you'll need to put about 2,000 rounds through that gun (in practice sessions) before you can start to realize and maintain improvements in your shooting abilities. Another option is to join a club that has regular clay practice. The old timers are usually more than happy to help out a beginner. you'll need to attend the practices regularly in order to improve and you will plateau many times on you way to your goals. Maintain through these plateau's and you'll begin to show improvement again, eventually.
Hawk,
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM

(Lancaster County)
jtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond reputejtkratzer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jtkratzer

There are quite a few clubs that do trap shoots open to the public on the weekends. Cocalico Sportsmen (Denver, PA) does trap shoots twice a week...it's only $20 to join.