Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: looking for rifle & pistol range in SE PA

Quote Originally Posted by marinakorp View Post
    It sounds like a public range may better be suited for your needs.
    That's what I was afraid of I was under the hopeful impression that some rifle ranges might operate like my local indoor pistol ranges, where you can just pay and shoot. I've been going to the public range a lot for clay pigeon shooting, but I've had nothing but had experiences on the rifle/pistol range. Last time I was there, a few teenagers showed up trying to look macho in front of their girlfriends. Without any consideration, they started shooting at my target from the next table over (on a diagonal). One of them had a Mini-14 on the pistol range. They were just shooting randomly without regard for rules or whose targets they were. One of the girls took a shot with a Glock and yelled "where'd it go!?" in excitement. At that point I was more afraid than annoyed and I packed up and left.

That's the kind of ignorant stuff I don't want at a gun range. I feel a non-public range will alleviate these problems, hence why I'm asking for help locating one for my needs. In addition, I don't much like the 3-round limit the public ranges impose for magazine-fed firearms, but that's only a minor nuisance in comparison.

(Bucks County)

Try Bucks County Fish and Game if you want a range with no other responsibilities. http://bcfg.org

They have trap, and 7, 25, 50, 75, 100 yard ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by ItGoesBang View Post
    That's what I was afraid of I was under the hopeful impression that some rifle ranges might operate like my local indoor pistol ranges, where you can just pay and shoot. I've been going to the public range a lot for clay pigeon shooting, but I've had nothing but had experiences on the rifle/pistol range. Last time I was there, a few teenagers showed up trying to look macho in front of their girlfriends. Without any consideration, they started shooting at my target from the next table over (on a diagonal). One of them had a Mini-14 on the pistol range. They were just shooting randomly without regard for rules or whose targets they were. One of the girls took a shot with a Glock and yelled "where'd it go!?" in excitement. At that point I was more afraid than annoyed and I packed up and left.

That's the kind of ignorant stuff I don't want at a gun range. I feel a non-public range will alleviate these problems, hence why I'm asking for help locating one for my needs. In addition, I don't much like the 3-round limit the public ranges impose for magazine-fed firearms, but that's only a minor nuisance in comparison.
    Last edited by VariableFeedback; January 15th, 2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: fixed typo

(Montgomery County)

It looks like I have a few choices to consider now. Thanks, everyone!

VariableFeedback, I like the avatar. Can't I get a yellow card first?
    Last edited by ItGoesBang; January 15th, 2008 at 12:36 PM.

(Delaware County)

I'm also in SE PA (delaware county) and am looking for a rifle range with at least a 100 yard range.

of the ones listed so far, which ones are the best? any closer to delaware county? So far the only range near here I've used is Targetmaster, which only has a 25 yard pistol range.

(Bucks County)

You can't go wrong at the Wicen's Range. Joe runs a safe place. There's usually always someone able to help you if you have a problem or question. But I'm a little biased as I met my wife there and was partially raised by Frank and Steve Wicen as far as shooting and hunting are concerned.

(Philadelphia County)

Wicen's is a very nice place for a public range. The range master is very courteous and willing to help with any questions or problems you have.

I think I'm going to pay them a visit today.

(Bucks County)

Umm, if you are going to Wicens', be it known: There is a RO there named Steve, an african-american gentleman who wears a large brimmed hat. There hasn't been a single time I've gone there when he didn't have some "correction" to tell you where you are doing something wrong, even if you didn't do what he says you did. One time, I had my son and a few friends with me and we were shooting clays. My son had just come off the line and was handing me his shotgun to put in the stand, when this Steve starts screaming at me from across the range about how my son was pointing the muzzle of the shotgun at my face and how I should know better blah blah blah. Now, first off, he didn't have the muzzle in my face, it was pointed skyward. Second, what an embarrassing moment for me in front of my friends and my son. Rather then cause a scene and possibly get tossed off the grounds, I just apologized and let him rant. I've gone a few times since then and he hasn't been there(thank god) and pray everytime I go he isn't going to be there.

(Philadelphia County)

Call the guy black. He may not even be from africa at the end of the day. I think wicens rule is guns pointed down. Their place, their rules. People trip on power, ignore them.

(Bucks County)

Was trying to be PC, don't sweat the details. I have no problem with their rules, just his method. The guy is obviously on a power-trip, he does the same to others everytime I'm there and see him. I'm just forewarning anyone who wants to go to Wicens'.

(Bucks County)

I'll confirm the issue with the RO, and he needs to be understood.

On the other hand...
    Wicen's was subject to an attempt by land developers to close the place and build on it. The well to do have encorached on all sides,

so the current owner, Joe and Lori, have some STRICT range rules to avoid a mishap.

MUZZLES NEVER ABOVE THE HORIZONTAL at the rifle and pistol points, all shooting from a bench.

They do have a clay bird area off to the side.

If you can live with the rules, they are great people, and nice "day rate" type place to shoot from static positions.

Pacer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12