Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:05 PM

(Butler County)
MicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default is Red jacket as fake as the tv show?

The show is kinda fun to watch, until they assault your intelligence with the retarded concepts and deployment of the shit they "design".
I know that TV is supposed to be fake and entertaining, but wouldnt it be more fun to see the garbage they make actually do something real, rather than make fake hollywood explosions?
With that said, I see guns for sale on the net made by Red Jacket. Is that a sales tactic that is employed by them to sell regular guns, or do they actually do something other than make bad TV actors?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
bac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is Red jacket as fake as the tv show?

I think they are a legitimate business that deals in NFA firearms, and they took advantage of a business opportunity to make a TV show. Then they were bound by a contract to follow orders from a producer for said TV show. It's just business. Wouldn't you do the same if you had the chance? They are probably making millions.
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
thebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond reputethebearpack has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read Red Jacket was and is known for the quality of their work especially in AK builds and Saiga conversions. But of course they have to "Hollywood" up the show. How long would you watch them building AKs, know what I mean?
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

UBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond reputeUBC2006 has a reputation beyond repute

They look legitimate to me...
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Grand Member

spacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond reputespacemanvic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spacemanvic

According to my last American Rifleman issue, Red Jacket was started in 1999. He made his mark selling Saiga AK's.

So no, they are legit.
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Grand Member

emsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeemsjeep has a reputation beyond repute

Silenced shotgun? Silenced Mk-19 (WTHolyF!?!?)? I like the M-16 turret for some mysterious "spec ops contractor" and the builds that "will be keeping out boys safe over there." Riiiight. Aside from the show being a complete joke (Yo, I gots to get me a thousand yard AK!) it seems as if they do have some sort of legitimate business going on. Sad to see it bastardized though.
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Lycoming County)
o1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond reputeo1dakota440 has a reputation beyond repute

as far as the fake hollywood explosions, i think they are just using tannerite. we use it alot to make the range a little more fun. nothing beats 3lbs of tannerite in an old freezer
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Grand Member

aubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the OP. A few years ago I was looking to have my Saiga 12 SBS. I got in touch with Red Jacket and spoke to Will on the phone. I couldn't understand anything he was saying over the phone. My first thought was...if I cannot understand what he's saying on the phone, I sure wasn't going to send him any of my money.

I ended up talking to Tony Rumore...who happens to be the mentor for Will. I liked how Tony conducted himself and I sent my Saiga 12 to Tromix. I couldn't have been happier with my decision.

That being said, I like watching Sons of Guns for entertainment, but the show does make it seem that those guys are a bunch of dumb hicks. Heck look at that guy Joe...they "Hollywood" his stupid facial hair.

The show itself is pretty insulting to anyone that knows anything about firearms. The show comes off as RJ is the "first" at designing X or Y weapon.

I just love the "AK sniper" show where they had some cheap BSA looking scope and they guys in the shop were "impressed" with the optic...c'mon REALLY???

The show makes true gunsmiths look bad. I just could not imagine GAP selling out like the people at RJ have done.
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Master Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

GunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that silenced grenade launcher is a solution looking for a problem to solve. I seriously doubt that the guest (who managed to hide his smirking reaction to each Pronouncement From Will) has an actual department in mind, willing to spend $20K on a finicky launcher, when they can undoubtedly pick up some surplus M-79's or M-203's for free from Uncle Sam. Maybe they need a selective-fire, belt-fed 40mm grenade launcher for traffic control. Or to serve warrants on people who build mother-in-law suites without a current Building Permit.

About the only think I believed in that episode was that one of the shop monkeys actually did manage to cut himself.

I also thought that the exploding shed was completely unrelated to anything launched from that weapon. It was a typical Hollywood explosion, centered INSIDE the structure, and a lot of flame that you generally wouldn't see from a 40mm round.

But since they also managed to get the blue chalk practice rounds to blow up, I suppose that genius Will can do just about anything.
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:05 AM

(Butler County)
MicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, I agree the show has to hollywood and such, after all its TV. But like gunlawyer said, I would have preferred to see that shed blow up from the weapon, not a fake hollywood explosion, but I guess the film crew could have wound up filming all day till one of those idiots actually hit the shed.
But as I mentioned, I was curious about the guns they sell, and It seems they are a legit gunsmith.