Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Indiana Governor signs new gun bill into law (gun owners to carry on work property)

if this report is accurate representation of the law, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't like eroding property rights.

link-
    http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-india...,2728017.story

Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels (R) signed a new gun law in Indiana Monday. Employers will no longer be allowed to ask their workers if they're carrying guns or ammunition in their vehicles.

Until now, businesses could force employees carrying weapons to park in separate areas. Some lawmakers say the new law sends the wrong message, that individual gun rights are more important than a company's property rights.

The new gun law will take effect in July.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Default Re: Indiana Governor signs new gun bill into law (gun owners to carry on work propert

Private property rights seem to be of little concern for most employer laws. Businesses are now mandated to provide breast feeding rooms, separate from bathrooms, for their employees. I know two wrongs don't make a right, but if property rights are all ready infringed to such an unbelievable level, does this really make a difference? I don't agree with this law, but if I want to devote my efforts to protecting private property rights, there are other laws that deserve my efforts first. I don't support it, but I don't oppose it either.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Indiana Governor signs new gun bill into law (gun owners to carry on work propert

I dunno about this. If the bill really does what the article says, then what's wrong with them saying they cannot ask about them inside the employee's private property?

Personally, I dislike the idea that a company somehow has the right to go through your personal items just because you're on their property. It seems as though this creates a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Clinton County)

My point of view is this. The employer owns the ground the vehicle sits on. They do not own the vehicle and whats in it. If it is not taken out of or used on their property why do they need to know what is in your vehicle. If you are dumb enough to leave a firearm out in plain sight and they see it well then you are fired. But they have no more right to know if you have a gun in you car as the do if you have a cell phone. They can't just up and search your personal property either.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnfool View Post
    They can't just up and search your personal property either.
    Many employers have that written in their handbooks, that by you working there, they can search your personal property. I think it's wrong, and shouldn't be allowed.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnfool View Post
    My point of view is this. The employer owns the ground the vehicle sits on. They do not own the vehicle and whats in it. If it is not taken out of or used on their property why do they need to know what is in your vehicle. If you are dumb enough to leave a firearm out in plain sight and they see it well then you are fired. But they have no more right to know if you have a gun in you car as the do if you have a cell phone. They can't just up and search your personal property either.
    because if you know your company doesn't allow firearms on their property, then you're being ignorant and committing a crime. property rights is the key to liberty.

(Clinton County)

I didn't say I would do it. I know we can search lockers where I work but then the company owns the lockers. I have never heard of a corporation having the right to search someones vehicle unless you would give them permission and unlock your car for them which means surrendering your keys. Could they fire you for not allowing the search sure they can say you violated company policy. Hunters violate my personal property all the time as do atv riders. The PSP will come out take info but dont want bothered with the paperwork.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    because if you know your company doesn't allow firearms on their property, then you're being ignorant and committing a crime. property rights is the key to liberty.
    Maybe it's just late, but which crime would you be committing?

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    No crime just violating that companys policy. Which could result up to and including termination. <<<< is a supervisor can you tell

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I believe it's trespassing. we talked about this a while back..I'll see if I can find the thread.

edit, found the link:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...relatives.html
    Last edited by andrewjs18; April 19th, 2011 at 12:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast