Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM

(York County)
1BadTitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I shoot at my home

I was wondering if I can shoot in my backyard. I have 1.6 acres and live in a rural town. My house is on a hill and my yard ends at the crest of the hill. I could shoot at a target and go into the ground after that due to the slope. Behind me is an uninhabited farm, but that only matters if a bullet can go over the hill and hit someone at the bottom of the other side. So whats the law? BTW I live in Felton, about 3 miles from Red Lion.
Tactical Flashlight

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 5th, 2006, 08:41 PM

MiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I shoot at my home

That's a question for your Sheriff / Local LE Agency. Some towns allow it, some have laws against the discharge of weapons in town (unless in a life or death situation of course). By asking that question here, you could get a wrong answer and wind up in jail. For serious questions like this, dont ask a bunch of guys on the internet, research it.

Don't mean to sound rude, just dont want to see you wind up being bubba's new friend.
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
phillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond reputephillyd2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure you can. Just put up a target, load your gun, aim and pull the trigger.

If you asking if there is a law against it, probably.
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
Steve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the laws of your city/town/borough, etc.

For example, where I work it is illegal for anyone outside of law enforcement to discharge any weapon within the borough limits.

It does not restrict hunting, as long as you can legally hunt in that area. But target shooting is another ting, and it can be restricted.
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM

(Luzerne County)
Holleta will become famous soon enoughHolleta will become famous soon enough

Some townships have ordinances against discharging Air guns within township/city limits. I would surely check with your local authorities as Lil Devil suggested. On a side note, if you do want to shoot the Collibri 22s are very quiet so no one would likely know you are shooting and their effective range is lower making them safer in semi Urban areas.
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:51 PM

MiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond reputeMiniDevil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
Some townships have ordinances against discharging Air guns within township/city limits. I would surely check with your local authorities as Lil Devil suggested. On a side note, if you do want to shoot the Collibri 22s are very quiet so no one would likely know you are shooting and their effective range is lower making them safer in semi Urban areas.
I would not suggest trying to do anything illegal. All it takes is one stray to kill someone.
Old November 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM

(Luzerne County)
Holleta will become famous soon enoughHolleta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDevil View Post
I would not suggest trying to do anything illegal. All it takes is one stray to kill someone.
You tell em' Mini Devil.....it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Grand Member

(York County)
RoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond reputeRoyJackson has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Felton. Although I doubt if there's a town ordinance, I think I'd ask at the fire hall or one of the town meetings.
If you're actually in town, I'd be mighty leary about shooting. Felton is pretty small. And, what's on the other side of the hill? If more homes, I wouldn't shoot in my backyard.
Remember, those rounds can go a considerable distance.
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM

(Montgomery County)
Siobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond reputeSiobhra has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Spring Mount and they have no laws against it. However at a town meeting it was brought up. Since the local range was in trouble it was the topic of discussion.

The police chief did mention that he is a gun person himself and can tell if what you are doing is safe. If not there are lots of laws he can get you on. If the range you built is safe for what you are shooting he has no problem. The town to me thinks it is best to decide actions as they happen.

We are watching. We will take action. There are lots of things we can do to you.

It is a lot like 'passing on a solid line' when you are driving. There is no law against it. The LEO writes you up for something like 'passing in unsafe conditions'. (I beat a ticket that way).
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
Suburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond reputeSuburban has a reputation beyond repute

There is a PA law against discharging a firearm within a certain distance of a residence, IIRC. It might be 500 feet. I think I found this while looking at hunting laws. It was at this point that I abandoned the thought of shooting in the back yard.

I wish I could tell you who to ask that would give you a reliable, unbiased, answer.