Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old March 10th, 2011, 08:59 PM

(Westmoreland County)
deejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can I buy any type of gun with an expunged record?

I am 22. I was interested in buying a shotgun for home protection. When I was 12 I was adjudicated as a delinquent in the state of Pennsylvania. I do not wish wish to name the charge for privacy reasons. I was never "Convicted" of a felony but was instead adjudicated as a minor. I am pretty sure that my records were sealed at 18. To this day, when I fill out any type of application, I was always told to not check the box that asks if i was convicted as a felony. I recently got a job at walmart as a part time job during these college days, and I got the job. I know that they did a background check. And since i got the job, im pretty sure it came up clean.

Should I be clear to buy a firearm in the state of Pa? I dont want to talk to a lawyer or look through legal doc's. i would much rather have a clear and simple answer.

If you could answer this, it would really make me happy

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Grand Member

(Cumberland County)
EvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I buy any type of gun with an expunged record?

You may get "put into research" but come back approved. Happens all the time to two friends of mine who were arrested for petty shop lifting when they were 16.

Only way to know for sure is to just go try.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:38 PM

(Westmoreland County)
deejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond reputedeejmonster has a reputation beyond repute

this may be true.. but what I had was would be equivalent to a felony. I thought that shop lifting was a misdemeanor. I was never "charged" just adjudicated. I would rather solve this on a forum than go in and look like an idiot. At 18 arent all juvenile records sealed anyways?
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Grand Member

(Cumberland County)
EvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond reputeEvoRich has a reputation beyond repute

Misdemeanor's can still prevent you from purchasing a firearm. Since you weren't convicted of the felony, you're probably ok. Somebody else should know for sure.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM

(Chester County)
MartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond reputeMartinBrody has a reputation beyond repute

Don't test the instacheck system, someone will be along with better info soon. I found this...
http://law.justia.com/codes/pennsylv...apter-91/9123/

However I am not capable of interpreting it.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Grand Member

Daycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond reputeDaycrawler has a reputation beyond repute

OP Two thing carry over from a Juvinile record. Shoplifting and murder.
So you should be just fine!
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM

(Westmoreland County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
I love the advise, just a few questions. Is there some proof that these are the only two charges that would carry over? and if there is, why these two?

If you are right, im going tomorrow to buy my shotgun!
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Grand Member

(Chester County)
West Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond reputeWest Chester has a reputation beyond repute

Read this and figure out if you can answer all the questions

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Master Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

GunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
This is untrue. I have no idea why you would post that.
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Master Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

GunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond reputeGunLawyer001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejmonster View Post
. . . I dont want to talk to a lawyer or look through legal doc's. i would much rather have a clear and simple answer.

If you could answer this, it would really make me happy
I have the answer, but alas, I'm a lawyer, and you ruled that out.

For anyone else, look at 6105 (c)(7).